What's new

My Take On Kustoms For Competitive

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
So we want their old way of patching back?

I think of we were getting a new UI changes, that would be something that gets adding after about a year when a new season or, how nrs does it, new Kombat pack/version of the game comes out.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
I’m confused, maybe I missed it earlier in this thread, but why is it necessary for customs to be used competitively? You can use them just fine in kasual mode with all their unbalanced goodness
to make tournaments for fun to watch, with more viable characters and unique matches.
they can take their time balancing each move

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
I think it's hilarious that you're all missing the point that adding kustoms doesn't actually fix the depth and complexity problem. This game lacks those things, which is what really keeps people invested. Kustoms only solve this problem for a month at best.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think it's hilarious that you're all missing the point that adding kustoms doesn't actually fix the depth and complexity problem. This game lacks those things, which is what really keeps people invested. Kustoms only solve this problem for a month at best.
What keeps people invested is that a game is fun, that they can continue to sharpen their fundamentals, and that there's a competitive community that is encouraging. If you wanted a complex game you'd be playing Skullgirls instead.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
What keeps people invested is that a game is fun, that they can continue to sharpen their fundamentals, and that there's a competitive community that is encouraging. If you wanted a complex game you'd be playing Skullgirls instead.
Nah I wanted this game to be a complex game which it should've been.

SOULWARRIOR 71K

XBL: SOULWARRIOR 71K PSN: SOULWARRIOR71K
As I’ve said many times before, everyone claims they want kustoms until they run into a Terminator using terminate with that incapacitor move that stops meter use. Then when they realize the only counter to the super armor (which lasts way too long and doesn’t have a punishable debuff) is to pick spawn, that fun factor will be null and void. Kustoms without a rebalance will not work competitively. But to Cherny’s point, there are other things that have to be addressed first.

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
Let’s be real everyone gonna use the same best move there not gonna be much unique matches.
My theory is that just like we have a certain amount of character/variation variety now, we will also have a certain amount of kustom variation variety if kustoms are allowed in tournaments

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Nah I wanted this game to be a complex game which it should've been.
Mortal Kombat has never been a complex fighting game series.

If you want complexity, you already know which fighting games to play.

I play Tekken 7 for different reasons than I play Mortal Kombat 11 and I accept those reasons.

Crimson is also right. Despite the negativity, Mortal Kombat 11 has been doing very well in online tournaments. Someone like Tom questions the numbers, though. Perhaps he and Crimson can debate the numbers on REO's podcast. But whom I am kidding? Tom would throw a tantrum and leave again. LOL.

What NRS should have done a looong time ago is adding a Kustom Ranked mode or a toggle for Ranked/Kombat League. It would have been a good indicator for how viable it is and how many of the players are interested. Worst case scenario: the same 134 people would have played it regularly. So what? But if it's 50-60% of the playerbase, then they should have considered it to be tourney legal.

Doing this 'trial' a year in may not worth it from a kompetitive standpoint but why NRS shouldn't let people play a Kustom Ranked is beyond me. My biggest issue with MK11 is that it has the worst game modes ever. If you have a friggin burnout from the KL bullshit, you can't play regular Ranked without grinding for shit. Why? Don't tell me there's no space for two separate Ranked mode on the Online UI.

Towers of Time and Kharacter Towers are way worse though. Whoever had this fucking idea that fighting modifiers with Konsumables is any kind of fun should lose his job or his fingers. Special Events with a shit ton of modifiers in play at the same time are the absolute worst but that April Fools' shit put me over a line for sure. I had to review the replay footage to find out what the fuck I even lost to (it was that unblockable earthquake bullshit with -30%). Okay, I loaded up some Shards of Life and it was fucking Bo Rai Cho farts in-game! April fools', haha! That was the LAST time I touched this fucking bullshit!

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
What NRS should have done a looong time ago is adding a Kustom Ranked mode or a toggle for Ranked/Kombat League. It would have been a good indicator for how viable it is and how many of the players are interested. Worst case scenario: the same 134 people would have played it regularly. So what? But if it's 50-60% of the playerbase, then they should have considered it to be tourney legal.

Doing this 'trial' a year in may not worth it from a kompetitive standpoint but why NRS shouldn't let people play a Kustom Ranked is beyond me. My biggest issue with MK11 is that it has the worst game modes ever. If you have a friggin burnout from the KL bullshit, you can't play regular Ranked without grinding for shit. Why? Don't tell me there's no space for two separate Ranked mode on the Online UI.

Towers of Time and Kharacter Towers are way worse though. Whoever had this fucking idea that fighting modifiers with Konsumables is any kind of fun should lose his job or his fingers. Special Events with a shit ton of modifiers in play at the same time are the absolute worst but that April Fools' shit put me over a line for sure. I had to review the replay footage to find out what the fuck I even lost to (it was that unblockable earthquake bullshit with -30%). Okay, I loaded up some Shards of Life and it was fucking Bo Rai Cho farts in-game! April fools', haha! That was the LAST time I touched this fucking bullshit!
ouch.
Just a heads up, Don't touch mario party, smash ultimate, or mario kart.
you WILL Break something due to rage