What's new

My Take On Kustoms For Competitive

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Since there were so many people on REO's podcast last night Burrito and I really didn't get a lot of time to REALLY lay out our opinions on this subject. I wanted to offer mine, in detail, in isolation and start a discussion.

So for the record, before I even start here, in the lead up to the games release I was team #nokustoms to an adamant vehement degree. I thought it was a HORRIBLE idea for competitive play than, I think it is now. I think NRS should've NEVER, FUCKING EVER even entertained the idea of kustom variations, and as a matter of fact I think the inclusion of the system is solely responsible almost for us having a boring, shallow game. I want to talk about why Kustoms are a bad idea, both from a concrete and theoretical standpoint, HOW YOU COULD implement kustoms in a satisfactory way if it were to be done, and how at the end of the day there are still better solutions within the game itself that require no drastic system changes that would facilitate the things people think kustoms in competitive would.

Let's start with the reasons people think Kustoms would help this game

1: People find the game boring. Kustoms would add diversity and exploration that would make it not boring.

2: People think it would increase the depth of the game.

3: It was an advertised on the box feature and should be fully available to the consumer

These are the most common complaints I see I think, so I just want to start by saying that kustoms change none of this. There's a myriad of reasons why

1: Most moves are not good and there is often an obvious optimal move combination

2: Characters, by design, do not have enough tools for adaptability or options. The slot system just leads to you being able to make the same half finished character... just however you want? I fail to see how this is a win for anybody because you can't even do that due to slots.

3: All this will ultimately result in is the top tiers becoming better, and the characters below them dropping in viability even with all their options. This games tiers are defined by base kits, not the loadouts. If you just give these characters access to their best possible move combinations it doubles down on the problems the game already has.

I want you guys to open up your game, and really look at the moves every character has and critically really think about how this would actually benefit the majority of the cast. Only about 4-5 character communities would benefit from this, Lao, Frost and Sub off the top of my head for some of them. This mostly changes NOTHING for the majority of characters. You'll find that either, most of these moves have no synergy at all, or that it's so obvious NRS intended for moves to be used together in a set that the game wasn't even designed for customizing at all.

I also want you to consider NRS's balancing history, their tendencies, which is to say that they tend to NERF OVER BUFF in most cases. If you open up kustoms, you are opening up the potential for a world where patches take characters apart piece by piece. Congrats, you now have a game with "freedom" but everything is like hitting people with twigs. People are definitely not gonna get bored of that.

So let's say NRS DID implement kustoms, I do not think the system is there to implement this in a way that is satisfactory for anybody on a gameplay front who see's the potential here. IMO this is what would need to happen to implement kustoms in competitive, and in general, to create a satisfying user experience.

1: All move conflicts that are not straight replacements or on the same input are removed

2: Slots are entirely removed. You can now put any three moves on of your choice.

3: You keep slots, but buff the slot count to 5 from 3.

If you did these things? Fine, I'll bite. You'd be able to make really well thought out loadouts of your choosing. I'd be 100% down for giving this a shot, even with my current cynicism about the idea.

However, I don't think this is the solution. I think the solution is simply adding moves to tournament variations, making moves that are current variation specific into base moves, and condensing variations. This would be easier to do, more practical from a balancing perspective so NRS still gets to micromanage, AND lead to a deeper, more fulfilling gameplay experience.

Example I'll use is Kano.

V1: Optic blast, Snakebite, Lumbar Check, Rackoff, Manhandled
V2: Magnetic Pull, Magnetic trap, acid, molotov, vegemighty

I just created two Kano variations with distinctly different playstyles with more than enough tools to adapt around bad MU's.

Another example I'll use, Scorpion.

V1: Demon Breath, Demon Dash, Fireball, Teleport Cancels, Demon Slam
V2: Sin Blade, Misery Blade, Death Spin and Death Spear Kombo, Flaming Spear

Now Scorpion can choose playing between a turtly version of himself, or a rushdown/higher damage version of himself.

Anyways, this is just where my brain is at right now. I'm curious what other people think of course, but I think that to implement kustoms without HUGE sweeping changes to the way kustoms work is a big mistake and it's kind of letting NRS off easy.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Personally, the custom and pre-set variations are off to me. The customs seem half baked and obviously useless for competitive modes. The preset variations are almost all pretty boring and somehow seem less thought out than the MKX presets. It seems like the customs are a noticeable step back from Injustice 2 and the presets are a step back from MKX.

Chernyy Volk

Personally, the custom and pre-set variations are off to me. The customs seem half baked and obviously useless for competitive modes. The preset variations are almost all pretty boring and somehow seem less thought out than the MKX presets. It seems like the customs are a noticeable step back from Injustice 2 and the presets are a step back from MKX.
Agreed.

DeftMonk

Noob
I actually agree with you. I was pretty upset it wasn't implemented because it was advertised and that is it. But I think 90% of the people assume this will add depth and replayability. I don't really see that so much for two main reasons: #1 most moves that aren't in use currently suck. #2 Changing one slot on a current tournament variation would create the "meta variation" for that character imo. Most characters have some combination of 3 slots thats obviously the best. As much as I would love to see some pro johnny cage using that stunt double silly ass move (that's like 50 frames of startup or some shit) I don't think I ever will lol.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Glad this convo sparked up again. As I have been saying since pre release, Kustom variations 100% should have been used competitively. NRS made a MASSIVE mistake only putting kustoms in casual matches. And them hand picking what they think should be “tournament variations” was also a massive mistake. At the very least, we should have had a say in the matter. You know, the actual competitive players.

But yeah, I 100% would still be playing MK11 if kustom variations were allowed competitively. Without a doubt.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Glad this convo sparked up again. As I have been saying since pre release, Kustom variations 100% should have been used competitively. NRS made a MASSIVE mistake only putting kustoms in casual matches. And them hand picking what they think should be “tournament variations” was also a massive mistake. At the very least, we should have had a say in the matter. You know, the actual competitive players.

But yeah, I 100% would still be playing MK11 if kustom variations were allowed competitively. Without a doubt.
First of all, I am not against customizable variations. People can enjoy Mortal Kombat 11 however they choose. On the other hand, customizable variations would very likely cause massive balancing problems considering NRS have been adjusting the game around tournament variations for a whole year. By allowing customizable variations, how many new special moves are being introduced to competitive gameplay? 60 at least? NRS would need another year to balance the game. In the process of balancing, many of these moves would ultimately get normalized or undergo slot reassignment, which would create lots of controversy in the community.

Speaking of slots, you can create combinations that people would almost instantly complain about. For example, you can equip low forceball, rising star, and shades to Cage so that you keep the safe special move and your best zoning tool but acquire comeback potential. A Sub Zero player can equip the EX iceball that destroys other projectiles, the creeping ice, and the slide. A Noob player can customize variations that do 40%+ of damage every touch.

How long would customizable variations last in this community before people beg Paulo for nerfs?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Agreed that they won't do it unless they feel it's reasonably balanced.

And it makes sense, because you know the community would have a 3-week honeymoon period where it was the best thing ever.. And then by the next month they'd be blowing up NRS, asking why this character gets to have this+this but another character doesn't, complaining that they ruined competitive play by unbalancing the game, saying they won't play because certain combinations of stuff were found to be too strong/broken etc. or their character moved down the tier list.

If it's going to be done it should be done the right way.. So it's really something to think deeply about.

In addition to possibly adding moves to tournament variations (which is a solid idea), I think that they shouldn't be afraid to rebalance or slightly redesign existing specials in variations that are lesser used to make them viable.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
First of all, I am not against customizable variations. People can enjoy Mortal Kombat 11 however they choose. On the other hand, customizable variations would very likely cause massive balancing problems considering NRS have been adjusting the game around tournament variations for a whole year. By allowing customizable variations, how many new special moves are being introduced to competitive gameplay? 60 at least? NRS would need another year to balance the game. In the process of balancing, many of these moves would ultimately get normalized or undergo slot reassignment, which would create lots of controversy in the community.

Speaking of slots, you can create combinations that people would almost instantly complain about. For example, you can equip low forceball, rising star, and shades to Cage so that you keep the safe special move and your best zoning tool but acquire comeback potential. A Sub Zero player can equip the EX iceball that destroys other projectiles, the creeping ice, and the slide. A Noob player can customize variations that do 40%+ of damage every touch.

How long would customizable variations last in this community before people beg Paulo for nerfs?
I never said they should randomly start allowing them now. I said they should have allowed them from the beginning. It was a massive missed opportunity and wasted potential. Which is unfortunate, but it is what it is.

The beta was the most fun, by far, I’ve had playing this game. Even with the limited characters, everyone using their own build was so much fun. It gave it kinda an RPG-esque effect.

I'd only like customs if some of the shitty moves like Scorpion's air throw and/or fire breath were part of his base tool kit.
Not saying they're useless but they pretty much pale in comparison to others and there's a ton of moves like that not only for Scorpion that would open up combo possibilities and counterplay to make the game a bit more interesting.

Also I find it weird how some characters don't work at all without added moves. Fucking hate how some of the cast don't even get a fucking launcher in their base move set.

NRS could’ve let Kustoms rock. The beta was more fun than the actual game. Balance could’ve came later down the road. People claim this is the most balanced NRS title, but it sucks. I’d rather it be unbalanced.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
What's hilarious about this thread is the two faced nature of it. Crimson Shadow is a great example of this. You all had the opportunity to say this last night when a lot of people were listening to the podcast live.

Bottom line is that you guys don't even want customs or will even think about rebalancing any characters at this point.

The game is fine the way it is. Crimson does not care about Mk11 as a game, he only cares about his website.
This seems a bit excessive, I've disagreed with Crimson Shadow a fair bit of times but he clearly loves MK11 as a game and the MK community as a whole.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
In addition to possibly adding moves to tournament variations (which is a solid idea), I think that they shouldn't be afraid to rebalance or slightly redesign existing specials in variations that are lesser used to make them viable.
I agree. I made this suggestion last night too, but Tom claimed that the game would not change sufficiently.

What I don't understand is why people are so unwilling to give customs a chance and why they think they 100% know what will happen if customs is allowed...

"it wont change anything"

Well lets do it and see..If it doesn't change anything then nothing of value will be lost. This game is dying. No matter what anyone here says...once you get outside of this forum most people will tell you they neither enjoy playing or watching this game. Now you could say that's just biased people hating on other games but look at a game like Tekken 7. That game is getting love from all corners of the FGC even they ones that don't like Tekken.

This game needs something to make it more interesting and instead of trying to come up with something new why not used what they already built?

And stop pretending you know what customs will do to the game.

I remember brady was a reo's podcast when 3rd variations were announced and he said something like 'it won't change anything',
a few weeks later when 3rd variations came out he made a video talking about how the 3rd variations really shook things up and made sub-zero more interesting.

Chernyy Volk

Only person talking sense last night was Sonic Fox and Brady. Fox knows the game could be called "shallow" because everyone is just a base character.

Besides you guys acting like you wanted to change anything up, you had these "community leaders" like dave and crimson shadow just attacking this one guy because he didn't like how the game is. I hear this shit from Reo and the works all the time. What a two faced group of friends.

You get these guys live on twitch and their personality totally changes. Crimson shadow could only talk major shit and insult people's hard work on their content. Excuse us crimson shadow, we all cant be big fat cat forum CEO's like you. You said some way stupid personal stuff because you like the game the way it is. maybe you should consider upgrading this windows 98 looking website because you trash other people's content.

Dave, Reo, Cherry, yall up yall's own asses in this social media stuff. You do not want to be HEARD saying anything negative about the game.

Fake through and through.
Are you okay? What are you talking about? LOL

im gona be real there , this game isnt boring some of you only play 1 or 2 characters pick more and maybe you will enjoy the game again. The only thing this game needs is new game modes and fun ones. What about a tag team gamemode like in mk9 you could do towers with a friend or go online tag team kombat league.
that way we wont fuck up the whole game just because we bored.

Zviko

Noob
I remember brady was a reo's podcast when 3rd variations were announced and he said something like 'it won't change anything',
a few weeks later when 3rd variations came out he made a video talking about how the 3rd variations really shook things up and made sub-zero more interesting.
What did it change though? Some characters got their new "go to" variations. Avalanche, Upgraded, Outtake,...Majority just went to those. Wouldn't the same happen with customs?