What's new

My current Top 10 in Mortal Kombat XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Lol we tried xD

Nah, we see it similarly actually.
It's just that I feel that current version of Balanced promotes bad fundamentals of bunny jumping. Cause 14% is not a great punish. Regular karma speed actually punishes jumps on read or from a long distance where nobody should be jumping anyway.
14% by its self isn't great but it requires no recourses from Kenshi and it will make your opponent jump less. If you're knocking Sub-Zero out of the air then you can to anyone pretty much

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
14% by its self isn't great but it requires no recourses from Kenshi and it will make your opponent jump less. If you're knocking Sub-Zero out of the air then you can to anyone pretty much
What sucks is that prepatch there was a decent reason to pick balanced over the other variations: this strong antiair/anticrossup. Now that's gone, it sucks that patches remove identity from the variations.

I will never understand why they didn't give exrk the two bar armor launcher treatment, like Kitana's exdb2. Never.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
What sucks is that prepatch there was a decent reason to pick balanced over the other variations: this strong antiair/anticrossup. Now that's gone, it sucks that patches remove identity from the variations.

I will never understand why they didn't give exrk the two bar armor launcher treatment. Never.
It's fine, nothing to do about it, now we just gotta play instead of begging.

Wazminator

twitch.tv/Wazminator
the option select is doable with practice. but you have to be playing the match up a lot. Even then the cmd grab is a fucked up mix tool to add along to his 5050 game, even if his 5050 game is punishable for the most part. His 5050s arent even strong till you hit the corner, where b2 actually combos for significant damage. midscreen you can't break 25% and thats if you're at that mid range, from further its safer but you only get slide as a follow up, which totals like 16%. If you want damage with consistent follow up midscreen, you need to do it off a jump in, where it jails standing, but then you actually risk a decent punish. it being punishable isnt that bad, but it just leads to an inconsistent style of play. cryomancer just plays a lot more like gm now where his mix ups become a lot scarier in the corner. if you play him frame trap throw style using the buffed f1, its a lot more consistent, and you can play him more mid screen focused, but other characters do it better for less risk and more damage. His mix up tool set is just a really good come back mechanic.

He's a solid character overall, nothing really stands out right now:
- good mobility
- below average zoning
- below average chip
- good frame trap throw game
- good defensive system between pokes, backdash, armour and anti air ability
- average damage
- average to below average footsie game
- Great mix ups albiet punishable
- Not meter dependent for damage anymore, so saves bar for boosting cmd grab potential, defence and x-ray

GM is much better overall, controls the neutral much better and has ridiculous explosive potential in the corner. armour nerf buffs clone cancels significantly, and safe burst helps him a lot too for when is clone game. He can play the same game cryo does but with less damage, and when he reaches the corner now he can actually drain your entire health bar off two good reads. If you don't have bar, the risk reward for the corner game is heavily heavily out of your favour. i've developed some options to help defend without bar with out having resort to random neutral jumps, but the risk reward is still skewed far in his favour. I honestly dont see his bad match ups right now. Dvorah is arguable his worst, with HQT maybe close behind, but they both get fucked in the corner. I've seen @Wazminator play Australis's best GM so much, and even he struggled pre patch. Post patch all thats changed is the removal of armoured ex burst, but gm can still slow push to the corner where he can run his game. match is harder than most of his match ups, but i honestly cant see how its worse than a 5-5.

Paging @Wazminator for thoughts.

Tl;dr: cryo is decent but definitely not top 10. He would have succeeded much more in his previous iteration for the current version. He's too momentum based now with higher risk for less reward. He was much more consistent to win with before.
Just to add to everything @Gilbagz has mentioned already, GM has little to no matchups where his corner game isn't the same, all the matchups that are considered "bad" are only really due to clone cancels being punishable. This was an issue pre patch before shatter was -5 but that change has made him have the ability to add shatter/clone cancel mindgames and even post shatter mindgames. Keep in mind EX Clone Cancels are much safer and IMO it is fair if he has to spend bar to keep them safe.

For some D'Vorah vs GM specific stuff, like Gilbagz said I've played the best GM in Australia for over a year and have lost many games and won many games, clone is still a very good neutral tool against D'Vorah as you can stay f4 range behind clone to stop any buttons being thrown, at that range D'Vorah can't run f22 through clone because she'll move forward and get frozen and if she whiffs d4 then she doesn't really get anything at all.

GM's corner game is still the same against her and she still has to hold all those mixups, best thing she has for that situation is she can punish b2 with s2 wgc or ovi if the clone is there but the risk reward is highly in his favour like always.

TLDR - D'Vorah v GM is 5-5, I don't think GM has any really losing MU's that are stopping him from being a Top 5 character. (Cryo is still broke tho) @Gilbagz

Ex db2 can be njp'd for a full combo and doesn't put him close enough for and kind of pressure unless they are already in the corner. Ex bicycle kick can also be njp'd for a full combo and can be low profiled by just about anything
What about flying kick? Isn't it safe if they somehow manage to jump over it? For a second bar you either make the situation neutral or get a restand to build your meter back. Genuine question, never thought his armor game was bad since they fixed the Roar's hitbox issue.

gam224

The world's least hype player
What about flying kick? Isn't it safe if they somehow manage to jump over it? For a second bar you either make the situation neutral or get a restand to build your meter back. Genuine question, never thought his armor game was bad since they fixed the Roar's hitbox issue.
It puts you at neutral for two bars which is decent. Ex flying kick is safe in most situations being-8 but can be punished. Admittedly that isn't too bad

Wigy

There it is...
It puts you at neutral for two bars which is decent. Ex flying kick is safe in most situations being-8 but can be punished. Admittedly that isn't too bad
Awkward hitstun and sometimes his hurtbox is dipped back, its -8. A lot of characters can't punish. Saying its very punishable is a total bill, i see people letting that go unpunished at tourament level.

You basically have to give up your oki and njp (which can be blown up big time) not to mention his very good backdash. The two bar thing isnt a massive deal cause he shits meter out his ass. Being neutral in someone's face with liu is good. If he baits a poke you have to hold f4 or b12.

Most characters liu forces to come in on him so getting hit with dragon roar puts him in a strong position.

His armour is incredibly strong, people say njp is some all encompassing solution. On knockdown, the guessing game probablility is in his favour, its like a 4 way guess. Again... On a character with great zoning and also rushdown pressure.

The njp timing for bicycle kick and dragon roar also different

Liu kang is seriooously flying under the radar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.