What's new

My 5 Anime Recommendations

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
1. Durarara!! (Drama, Action, Shounen) 1 season; ongoing

Definitely my most favorite series of all time. A lot more on the drama side but it's a really good watch with a different take than the normal shounen. Plot development is really good and there is very little filler. All the characters are actually really likeable and I found myself liking even the main protagonist, which is really rare for me in most cases. This is probably my most recommended. Shoutouts to @Cage Redfield for forcing me to watch this a year ago.

2. Shigurui (Super Dark, Action) 1 season

If you're looking for a samurai anime this is definitely my most favorite of all time. Just be aware that it is one of the most dark, gorey, mature anime I've ever seen. There's lots of blood, guts, and rape. Definitely not for kids. But easily one of the most dope shows about sword fighting ever. I wish it were longer.

3. Darker than Black (Dark, Action) 2 seasons; second one kinda sucks

This show actually took me by surprise. I really loved their take on the generic "people with super powers" genre. It's an amazing show with a great plot and really good backstory on the characters to help you get more involved. Up there with my favorites. I'd recommend it if you're into super powers and shit.

4. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Action, Shounen) 2 seasons

I can't explain this show in a way that would do it justice, please just go watch it.

5. Initial D (Drama, Racing) 5-6 seasons and like, 2 movies I think

If you're not into racing you probably won't like this show but it's absolutely amazing and has like a million seasons to pick from. If you're not a fan of older art styles they did a newer one a few years back that's also really good. Definitely a classic.

6. Akira (Drama, Action) Movie

I know this isn't a show so I didn't put it in my list but please go watch this movie if you like anime even a little bit. It's a classic and one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

Honorable mentions to:

Samurai Champloo
Afro Samurai
Cowboy Beebop
Elfen Lied (Amazing plot idea, but never really plays out the way you want it to)
Perfect Blue
Rin: Daughters of Mnenosyne (Should've put this on my list but I forgot about it until now)

Last edited:

Rodrigue

Spongerod
No Deadman Wonderland?? One of the best animes out there! It's a shame it only has 1 season. A bit too gory.
Deathnote is the most controversial anime ever made. I hated it.
Personally I would recommend Naruto, Bleach, Deadman Wonderland and Elfen Lied.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
To add to your list, I'll post two everyone should watch and three not many may have heard of:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Action, Drama)

There are two FMA animes: the original and Brotherhood. Brotherhood starts out exactly the same as the original, but it's a direct adaptation of the original manga, and the story branches off eventually into something completely brand new. This anime has much more action than the original, as well as character development. It is, without a doubt, one of the best animes I've ever seen. It has everything you can possibly look for in an anime: action, comedy, romance, a deep plot, plot twists, memorable characters, sweet openings, and so on. If you haven't watched it.....wtf are you waiting for?

Fullmetal Alchemist (Action, Drama)

After you watch Brotherhood, watch the original anime too! It's not AS good, but it's great in its own right. Some people actually like it more than the manga adaptation. Note that the anime officially ends with the movie, Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa.

WataMote (Comedy)

Okay, you will only appreciate this anime if you suffer or have suffered from social anxiety (that, or are/were very shy). It's an acquired taste, but it's still cute, inappropriate, and the art is nice.

Gantz (Action, Dark)

This is one of those animes that follows the manga, but it cuts short and ends with its own original arc....that sucks. However, until that point, it's pretty awesome and action-packed. Do not watch if you dislike gore because not only is this one of the goriest animes ever made, but it's pretty fucked up in every sense of the word. Also contains nudity and a lot of sexual innuendos. The anime doesn't take itself too seriously until the end, really--sometimes it crosses the line towards dark humor.

Elfen Lied (Action, Drama, Dark)

Like Gantz, it follows the manga, but cuts it short. Unlike Gantz, this anime ends fairly okay. Like Gantz, this anime is incredibly violent and contains nudity. Unlike Gantz, this anime DOES take itself very seriously, and has a deep plot. If you want to be depressed, and possibly scarred, this is the anime for you!

No Deadman Wonderland?? One of the best animes out there! It's a shame it only has 1 season. A bit too gory.
Deathnote is the most controversial anime ever made. I hated it.
Personally I would recommend Naruto, Bleach, Deadman Wonderland and Elfen Lied.
Deadman Wonderland I would reccomend... then I finished the Manga.... ate a whole lot of remorse and regret. Luckily the anime doesn't get that far e_e

Solo

Shadow Priest
The Unlimited - If you enjoyed Code Geass, you'll enjoy this.

The Blast of Tempest - It turns into a love story toward the second half, but still good.

Others:
Servant x Service(Comedy)
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU(Comedy)
One Week Friends(Slice of life/Romance Comedy)
Kawaii Complex(Romance Comedy)

I like anime with a friendship complex. Naruto/Sasuke. Lelouche/Suzaku. Andy/Kyosuke. Mahiro/Yoshino. Other than that, I prefer comedy anime. The ones under "others" is pretty damn funny and random.

Rodrigue

Spongerod
Deadman Wonderland I would reccomend... then I finished the Manga.... ate a whole lot of remorse and regret. Luckily the anime doesn't get that far e_e
I don't have enough time to read the manga now but I heard they messed up a few things in the storyline? However the anime is still really good with all these sound effects, the animations and the best OSTs hands down

I will explain later lol but these are my 5 anime atm:

Naruto
Bleach
Attack on titan
Code geass
And berserk ( I plan to check out others, so I would like all the recommendations possible :) )

That's interesting b/c the reason why deadman wonderland didn't get a season 2 was b/c it didn't appeal well to fans of the manga in japan.

That's interesting b/c the reason why deadman wonderland didn't get a season 2 was b/c it didn't appeal well to fans of the manga in japan.
Manga started off goood. I can't begin to stress how shit the ending was. It'd be me giving a seminar on how shit it was. GAWD DAMN. But the Manga does wrap up the story. The Anime skips around a lot of events but gives you the core of the issue... but if it got a season 2 that followed the manga... you'd be in my boat... unless they fleshed the events out more.

Manga started off goood. I can't begin to stress how shit the ending was. It'd be me giving a seminar on how shit it was. GAWD DAMN. But the Manga does wrap up the story. The Anime skips around a lot of events but gives you the core of the issue... but if it got a season 2 that followed the manga... you'd be in my boat... unless they fleshed the events out more.
idk i have a friend that has seen every anime known to man and read the mangas. He said the manga was a million times better lol me and him have the same tastes in anime/manga too so im honestly gonna be inclined to agree with him lol

idk i have a friend that has seen every anime known to man and read the mangas. He said the manga was a million times better lol me and him have the same tastes in anime/manga too so im honestly gonna be inclined to agree with him lol
Well if you call dumping in a "essential" piece for a villain. A long time love interest and just plop her in randomly into the story. Then not have the final battle have it be over in a flash forward like blip, and then have one of those "and then the day is saved and where are they now" flash forward endings. Then yeah it was good. But to each their own.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
I don't watch/read a whole bunch of anime/manga, but I do feel the need to weigh in on one title. Deathnote absolutely deserves to be on this list. Easily one of the few genuinely unique ideas to come out of Japan's fictional world in the past two decades. If you're going to enjoy it though, read the manga. The two seasons follow the two major arcs from the manga. The first season stays fairly true to the manga but misses out on one or two cool, interesting moments. The second season drops at least half of the content from the second story arc, though. And I don't mean it drops half of the unnecessary, boring content. No, it randomly cuts out rather unique back-and-forth between the main character and his first of new adversaries and then generally shortens the rest of story arc. If you watch it and then read the manga, you'll be wondering how you were even supposed to enjoy the story arc and appreciate the intellect of the three main characters without the full content.

TLDR: Read Deathnote, don't watch it. Any appreciation will be genuine and accurate.

Also, read Gantz, don't watch it. Mainly because watching is the equivalent of 40 chapters where as reading is upwards of 350, I believe. And no, don't go into it expecting some work of art. It's a grindhouse guilty pleasure. Blood and violence and boobies, oh my!

BartenderJeeves

Almost a bartender, but not exactly a bartender.
1. Fate/Zero
2. Magi season 1+2
3. Steins;Gate
4. Attack On Titane
5. Durarara!! - Hunter x Hunter (2011) Hard to choose between these two..

I agree with every anime mentioned in the post and op except Sword Art Online and Elfen Lied.
Sword Ard Online became very boring very quick and Elfen Lied was.... meh

Emperor Eevee

Learn to take a joke pal!
WataMote also know as "No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys' Fault I’m Not Popular!" (Black Comedy, Comedy, Slice of life)
A girl decides that she will be popular going into high school, but she suffers from social anxiety and is extremely awkward.

Nichijou also know as "My Ordinary life" (Comedy, Slice of life)
*Too funny/weird to explain.

Plastic Nee-san (the whole series is 30 mins) (Comedy)

Dai Mahou Touge (Comedy)

Detroit Metal City (Comedy)
Basically, a guy who wants to play pop music gets tricked into starting a Death Metal band and is trying to hide it from his family and love interest.

Death Note was a fairly good series, wasn't a fan of SAO, never watched Code Geass, Attack on Titan got stale pretty fast for me and I think No Game No Life is one of my favorite Ongoing series this anime season.

If you don't mind, I'll list a few series I think you/anyone else should take a look at if they're interested.

Steins;Gate (24 episodes, one extra episode and a movie) : Sci-Fi, Drama series about a group of people that discover a way to travel through time. A great story with even greater characters, in my opinion.

Nichijou (26 episodes) : A hilarious Slice of Life series, centered around the shenanigans of 3 young girls. I think the gif speaks for itself. The entire series is animated so well.

Neon Genesis Evangelion (24 episodes, 1 movie and 3 reboot films) : Psychological Mecha series. I really can't do this series any justice by trying to describing it. This series is a masterpiece, and deserves at least a minute of anyones time.

Sankarea (12 episodes and i think? an extra episode) : A romance/drama series about a girl who falls in love but dies soon after and becomes a zombie. The plot may sound tacky, but it's actually a really good love story. The characters are also cute, funny and pretty decent.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2012 (26 episodes and a new ongoing season) : The best action/shounen series I've ever had the great chance to be introduced to. Watch this. Trust me, it's definitely worth it.

and last but not certainly least, Spice and Wolf (2 seasons and a movie) : Spice and Wolf follows the life of a trader aiming to open his own shop. He's encountered by a wolf-goddess of wheat, named Holo the Wise. She wants to return to the North, while he wants to trade and make money to make his own shop, so they decide to scratch each other's backs. A really interesting concept and another nice romantic series.

Last edited:

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
WataMote also know as "No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys' Fault I’m Not Popular!" (Black Comedy, Comedy, Slice of life)
A girl decides that she will be popular going into high school, but she suffers from social anxiety and is extremely awkward.

Nichijou also know as "My Ordinary life" (Comedy, Slice of life)

Plastic Nee-san (the whole series is 30 mins) (Comedy)

Dai Mahou Touge (Comedy)

Detroit Metal City (Comedy)
Basically, a guy who wants to play pop music gets tricked into starting a Death Metal band and is trying to hide it from his family and love interest.
You look like you would enjoy:
  1. D-Frag! (Comedy, School. SoL)
  2. Angel Beats! (Comedy, School, Drama)
  3. Arakawa Under The Bridge (Comedy, SoL, Fucking Random)
  4. Haganai (RomCom, Ecchi)
  5. Carnival Phantasm (Comedy, Parody) (Must be familiar with Fate series and Tsukihime/Melty Blood series)
  6. Tonari no Seki-kun (SoL, School, Short) (5min per episode)
  7. NouCome (RomCom, Ecchi, Superpower-ish)

Emperor Eevee

Learn to take a joke pal!
You look like you would enjoy:
  1. D-Frag! (Comedy, School. SoL)
  2. Angel Beats! (Comedy, School, Drama)
  3. Arakawa Under The Bridge (Comedy, SoL, Fucking Random)
  4. Haganai (RomCom, Ecchi)
  5. Carnival Phantasm (Comedy, Parody) (Must be familiar with Fate series and Tsukihime/Melty Blood series)
  6. Tonari no Seki-kun (SoL, School, Short) (5min per episode)
  7. NouCome (RomCom, Ecchi, Superpower-ish)
Angel Beats made me cry......