What's new

MTH's GL Matchup Chart

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Sorry for the late response, haven't had much time this weekend.

For Shazam:

Shazam's Teleport not allows him to complete avoid the setup after Trait Lift.
GL and Shazam actually go even in footsies, with Shazam's B23 (the shoulder string that makes him airborne) going over B1 as well as catching jump back air Oa's Rocket
Shazam does slightly more damage for a 1 bar Bnb, and has better setups of a knockdown
GL's horrible backdash combined with Shazam's good foward dash doesn't build enough space to zone for long
While a little tricky, both air and ground Oa's rocket can be forward teleported

This is not to say that the Shazam player and the GL player put in an equal amount of effort in the matchup. Obviously, the GL is running away, zoning, and shutting down jumping with Lift. But a Shazam player that bulldogs his opponent and never lets them breathe (@Digit ) can keep up with any GL player.
I have to ask. Cause im trying to understand. What does Shazam do about MB Minigun? Or trait Minigun?

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
For WW:

Due to WW's lack of good projectiles, GL can sit back and play the lame game without any real risks taken
GL B1 beats every single poke WW has
Even GL's bad backdash can escape WW's pressure at midscreen, forcing the WW player to make hard reads
GL's zoning builds meter fairly quickly and should be used for pushblocking everything WW does (something that for whatever reason is ignored in this matchup)
On knockdown, a well timed F3 will beat wakeup spin, as well as avoid/beat all other wakeup options
While I haven't tested it, I also believe that GL gets a safe jump setup on WW in certain situations

Just to clarify, I don't believe any 6-4 is really a "bad" matchup. 6-4 imo simply means that one character has a slight but noticeable advantage over another. A WW player can easily get the life lead at the beginning of the match, corner carry their opponent, and destroy their first life bar in seconds. But overall, I believe that GL can execute his gameplan with less risk and with a better chance of success than the WW can execute their's.
Due to shield stance, projectiles aren't particularly helpful and we can shield bash our way in with no real risks taken
But b1 and any follow up are avoidable/parriable/punishable
Again, shield bash. Then back to pressure
We can always bounce cancel through pushblock on a read, we don't really need much meter (woooooooooooooo)
Then we don't wake up with spin, f3 is parriable on reaction since your f3 is 18 frames
Probably haha

True, 6-4 isn't that bad...I'd still call it even though because it requires quite a bit of work on our part to get in (as with most zoners) and correct use of both stances. This is a mu where I tend to stay in SS a lot more to take less chip from zoning but still be able to apply pressure/get in.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
I have to ask. Cause im trying to understand. What does Shazam do about MB Minigun? Or trait Minigun?
Minigun is GL's best tool in this matchup, I agree. MB Minigun is great for the pushback, but does a relatively small amount of chip and the loss of a bar means that GL can no longer pushblock away from pressure or get good damage off a hit. If you get hit off a delayed MB, that's the fault of the player. Trait Minigun is great because of the range boost, but he doesn't always have access to it. It is the main tool that GL should use to keep Shazam away.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Minigun is GL's best tool in this matchup, I agree. MB Minigun is great for the pushback, but does a relatively small amount of chip and the loss of a bar means that GL can no longer pushblock away from pressure or get good damage off a hit. If you get hit off a delayed MB, that's the fault of the player. Trait Minigun is great because of the range boost, but he doesn't always have access to it. It is the main tool that GL should use to keep Shazam away.
That didnt answer that question of what can Shazam do about it. :p

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
I also wanted to clarify that GL B1 and Shazam B2 are not equals in terms of the overall game. Obviously, GL B1 is the better normal when looked at in a vacuum. What I'm trying to say is that in this specific matchup, when both characters are in that midrange space, GL is going to use B1 and Shazam is going to use B2. The way B2 works, it allows Shazam to hop over GL and hit him. At worst, they both whiff and go back to the same distance from each other.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
That didnt answer that question of what can Shazam do about it. :p
Play patient and walk foward. At B2 range, Mingun becomes a risk and both characters have to start playing footsies. And blocking a Minigun, whether its the regular, Trait or MB version of it, does very low amounts of chip. The startup on Minigun is also pretty slow, and allows plenty for a reaction jump in at the right ranges.

E

Eldriken

agreed, i was playing my friend and his b1 even knocks DS out of his f3 before he lands.
LOL Wow, that IS retarded. Holy shit. I mean, after its animation ends, if you touch his foot before he goes back into his neutral position, it hits. I don't know of any other move in the game that has active frames that last that long.

LOL Wow, that IS retarded. Holy shit. I mean, after its animation ends, if you touch his foot before he goes back into his neutral position, it hits. I don't know of any other move in the game that has active frames that last that long.
GL's j1 :DOGE

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
Not bad I'd change

Harley is 5-5 if she gets any kind of lead GL is going to have a very tough time getting in on her.
Hawk is 6-4 GL blows up her wake ups, can zone her and knock her out of the air with MB turbine (one of the few MUs where it's useful!)
Nightwing is 6-4 Can he even do anything after B13 minigun lol?
Grundy is 7-3 Christ this MU for Grundy is shit, it's really the only MU in the game where GL dominates.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
I don't understand how Green Lantern even beats people because I would put him in the same boat as characters like Green Arrow and Killer Frost who just have textbook pressure and mix-ups that aren't really going to open up anyone 'good'. He has b1 amazing range, really fast, will wreck everyone within the first month of game release but that's it and it's not like he shutdowns so many other options that people are forced to deal with his footsies like Aquaman. Just looking back at Injustice some of the character are just really, really bad

E

Eldriken

I knew it was only a matter of time before Killer Frost got brought into this.