What's new

Match-up Discussion Mr Aquaman's Ares match-up chart

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
i already gave a brief description above, how does superman beat ares?
Still seems like its in Superman's favor. Heat zaps all day and react to a teleport with jump back 2 for punish or pressure. Also he always has the meter lead. Is there something I'm missing?

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Still seems like its in Superman's favor. Heat zaps all day and react to a teleport with jump back 2 for punish or pressure. Also he always has the meter lead. Is there something I'm missing?
DE beats heat zap, and ares can react to heat zap startup with a mb teleport for a 50% combo, true ares players it is rare to get 1 punish on a tele. With meter they are unpunishable and you should be guessing a 50/50 before your eyes react. And you can see a jump mid tele and tele into a d2 to antiair. Many options to deal with sups

DarksydeDash

DE beats heat zap, and ares can react to heat zap startup with a mb teleport for a 50% combo, true ares players it is rare to get 1 punish on a tele. With meter they are unpunishable and you should be guessing a 50/50 before your eyes react. And you can see a jump mid tele and tele into a d2 to antiair. Many options to deal with sups
Well, damn... just some quick questions what is DE and is this 50% combo a godsmack reset?

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Well, damn... just some quick questions what is DE and is this 50% combo a godsmack reset?
dark energy his projectile, mb tele into 3, d2 full combo, after the 50% he can go for a setup, just a natural combo, 3, d2. mb godsmack, b3, j3, f2, 3, d4, dark energy, or combo of choice and setup of choice

DarksydeDash

dark energy his projectile, mb tele into 3, d2 full combo, after the 50% he can go for a setup, just a natural combo, 3, d2. mb godsmack, b3, j3, f2, 3, d4, dark energy, or combo of choice and setup of choice
Do you mind if I share this info with one of my friends? He is an Ares player and is convinced Supes vs Ares is 8-2 Supes. :p Secondly, how is this matchup in Zatanna's favor? I would love to know since I have absolutely no idea how that matchup goes.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Do you mind if I share this info with one of my friends? He is an Ares player and is convinced Supes vs Ares is 8-2 Supes. :p Secondly, how is this matchup in Zatanna's favor? I would love to know since I have absolutely no idea how that matchup goes.
Zatanna does everything ares can do, only better, the match plays out to both characters having to revolve around similar playstyles, but she recovers faster, and her pokes are faster, its anoyying to deal with, that on top of her vortexs its hard to beat her out in almost every situation. No corner game as well hurts ares.

DarksydeDash

Zatanna does everything ares can do, only better, the match plays out to both characters having to revolve around similar playstyles, but she recovers faster, and her pokes are faster, its anoyying to deal with, that on top of her vortexs its hard to beat her out in almost every situation. No corner game as well hurts ares.
So you are saying she plays the rushdown game instead of the zoning game?

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
So you are saying she plays the rushdown game instead of the zoning game?
neither character can zone with threat of teleport, zoning is mostly just checks, she can late game to finish out in her trait. zone and bait tele into hyper armor spark from fucking hell

DarksydeDash

neither character can zone with threat of teleport, zoning is mostly just checks, she can late game to finish out in her trait. zone and bait tele into hyper armor spark from fucking hell
"Hyper armor spark from fucking hell" my day is officially made. Can Zatanna absorb ares weapons?

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
Area vs Scorpion I feel like that matchup is Scorpion favorite even tho he my second main it because one Area can't run from Scorpion, Two Area wake up games get punish if Scorpion make the right read, three Area can't deal with Scorpion vortex, and four Scorpion back1 footsie games beat Area down1.
Ares*

Billy Dha Kid

Day 1 phenomenal grab immune
As far as Grundy in the corner, mb trait gets him out of ambiguous cross up stuff and the armor make frame traps and stuff fairly worthless. Nothing you do is safe and not doing anything isn't safe. If you get hit by MB walking corpse it hurts really bad. I dunno what the number is, but I don't think it's 3-7
I honestly think it is a 5-5 in ares favor because he can zone you out if he is patient. But I've also never played a set with a decent Ares

4x4lo8o

Noob
I honestly think it is a 5-5 in ares favor because he can zone you out if he is patient. But I've also never played a set with a decent Ares
I don't want to put a matchup number out there, but Ares can't win the match up just by zoning. Grundy can MB Swamphands on reaction. In the past when I've played Tyrant he's always perfectly content to let me run away to fullscreen if he has meter, because he's always going to get me when I throw something. I feel like Ares is forced to play this match up at midrange.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm guessing her straight magic shot beats the startup of them?
Trades with sword, beats axe almost every time, trades with every projectile he has, and has the same option to mb for OH, and she can turn her normal ring into mid so she has the advantage, has the same option to make a read and teleport in for full combo

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
This list is UNFINALIZED and purely based on my experience playing the best that the community has to offer.

The Flash: 4.5 - 5.5
Nightwing: 5-5
Batman: 4.5 - 5.5
Cyborg: 6-4
Green Arrow: 5-5 (This is is not ultra explored, i feel arrow may have an advantage, arrows and his movement hurt all of ares meta game in spacing)
Superman: 5-5
Martian Manhunter: 3-7
Raven: 5-5
Aquaman: 4.5-5.5
Wonder Woman: 4-6
Zatanna: 4-6
Hawkgirl: 5-5
Shazam: 5-5
Green Lantern: 5-5
Batgirl: 5-5
Lobo: 5-5
Joker: 6-4
Harley Quinn: 5-5
Solomon Grundy: 5-5 (No high level experience! - this one I will need help with)
Zod: 4-6
Lex Luthor: 5-5
Deathstroke: 5-5
Scorpion: 6-4
Killer Frost: 5-5
Doomsday: 5-5
Sinestro: 5-5
Black Adam: 4-6
Bane: 5-5
Catwoman: 5-5

Winning: 3
Even: 18
Losing: 8

I feel that ares is at worst a contender in Mid tier, I can list every top player I have experience in the MU's with expect Grundy. Martian Manhunter seems to be the only character that would make me pick aquaman ever again. Ares will never be high tier because it does not win match ups, but i feel he can do so well because he goes even with a lot of the top tier and the counterpicks are still winnable. Bottom 2? I think not.
Alright, Aquamang, I want explanations of:

The Martian Ma-no just kidding! But really...
Scorpion, Zatanna (not sold on this as a losing match), Aquaman and Batman.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Alright, Aquamang, I want explanations of:

The Martian Ma-no just kidding! But really...
Scorpion, Zatanna (not sold on this as a losing match), Aquaman and Batman.
Scorpion I dont have a whole lot of exp, but use your general anti scorpion method and scorpion is going to have a bad time. Ares actually may have better normals in that MU, which is like a black astronaut. Aquaman, once knocked down has the high percentile of dying. DE trades with ftd, and if hes mashing MB causes a wasted bar. stay outside of b1 range and inside your b1 range and ares can fight back. Ares does well to nullify shield of life. Try this agianst aqauaman players, once you see them trait up, Godsmack, their only instinct is to block, you will catch them off gaurd before reactions will kick in. Still works on the likes of brady and insert various trident rushers. But its mainly about scoring a knock down. Batman, ares zones him effectively, and once he scores a knockdown, tis but one option.