What's new

Most of us have experienced the bulk of single player content and/or are already forming competitive opinions. What would you rate MK11 now?

How do you feel about MK11?

• Best MK game to date.

Votes: 47 37.9%
  • Great game, but has flaws. Maybe not the best MK but it's arguable.

Votes: 68 54.8%
  • Average. Nothing obviously bad or good.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Bad. Perhaps one of the worst MK games.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The worst MK. Ever.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gamer68

Fujin!
It's safe to say that most of us have played the story, Towers of Time, maybe some Arcade, and have seen most of what The Krypt is about. The honeymoon phase is over and we are already forming opinions on competitive play. We are seeing early tier lists from REO, competitive players are already sharing their thoughts on the meta, and we are even getting some cries for buffs or nerfs. And of course, we have people spending hours in practice trying to find that tasty tech.

I think it's fair to finally give a review and score for the game. How do you feel about MK11?

(P.S. - If you still haven't played enough of the game to get a feel for a score, just don't vote)

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I love it. All game's have flaws including this one but from a game play perspective this is my favorite MK to date.

Most of the stages and music are good this time around which was a big complaint I had with MKX. There are a couple of questionable roster choices IMO but overall I dig it.

ToT and Krypt are both much better now that NRS have ironed some things out. I actually really love the Krypt. Getting to explore that island and seeing all the references and easter eggs spread throughout is such a treat. It makes me want NRS to use that as a template for an all new MK game tbh, like the recent God Of War game or something but made by NRS and in the MK universe.

The story does have its problems especially if you put it under a microscope but other than the inconsistency of how damaging past/future selves works I thought it was good. I wasn't sitting there begging for it to end like I was with Injustice/2. I had a lot of fun and kind of didn't want it to end. The ending itself is controversial and idk if that is what I would have done but it leaves the door open for pretty much anything with MK12.

Overall I really like it and I can see myself really sticking with this one. I would say like a 9/9.5 out of 10.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
To be vague, I'd say it's definitely the best "feeling" Mortal Kombat. The actual kombat is fun, smooth, and highly enjoyable. The stages look MUCH better than MKX, and have actual music this time which is a plus.

That aside, there's a lot of shortcomings, many of which I assume come from a rushed release schedule. The cast feels tiny, and the small movepools accentuate this fact. After playing a character for half an hour, I find myself digging through the movelist looking for more tools, that aren't there. Tournament variations don't help this either. Also, despite spending millions of koins in the krypt, I still feel very limited when customizing my character. Most of the "costumes" are just recolors and the same outfit with a tiny change like a collar or sleeves removed. There also seems to be a real obvious power gap between the very top and most others, but that's subject to change over time.

Anyway, there's good and bad. I think the foundation is the strongest part of the game, but everything else feels very unfinished. Which is strange because it's usually the opposite with NRS. Typically the foundations are super rocky, but all the bells and whistles of presentation are 100/10. I mean, there's no stage fatals, no test your might, no tag mode, etc etc. Judging it now still feels like judging an unfinished game. If I HAD to give it a number, I'd give it around a 7/10 with lots of potential if they manage to add good and robust characters, lots more costumes, and competitive custom variations.

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
Core gameplay of the fighting engine = love it, best to date and it shows.

Singleplayer content (quality of content) = excellent, especially the Krypt design (not talking the chests, the map design)

The always online bullshit, unnecessary content gating, grind, Ronda Rousey, etc = Fuck off and die, worst in history... and NRS should be crucified and burnt over this.

Imagine how great this game would be WITHOUT the forced always online, WITHOUT any grind whatsoever, if ALL the gear/cosmetics were available immediately and ppl could simply customize at will and show their individuality before hopping online. The game would be praised to the heavens and 90+ on Metacritic.

What SHOULD have been the best MK ever is totally ruined by forced Games-As-A-Scam mechanics. Its a damn shame and a half.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I like the mechanics, characters, stages, and graphics. The music and customizations options could be better, and obviously Towers of Time and The Krypt started off pretty bad. It's better now, but I think it still needs work. Always online makes no sense.

The game has some obvious flaws, but overall it's a great game. I agree that it's NRS' best game, but maybe not the best MK game ever.

I do want to talk about one thing in particular which is the story...

I really don't like it. The timeline reset pretty much means everything that happened during MK11, MKX, MKX comics, and MK9 doesn't matter because here comes Liu Kang with a brand new timeline. We just got a reset in MK9 and that was pretty much because NRS didn't really have many options. Armageddon was the endgame, so how do you go beyond that? How do you bring back the 2D stuff people liked? The reset was needed. Here it feels unnecicary and comes off as bad writing to me.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Definitely one of the best Mortal Kombat games ever released. And I suspect it will only get better as they continue to make adjustments and improve it.

There are some understandable gripes on release -- but they've already started working on things, and I think that this game will stand the test of time.

eolson3

Noob
There was clearly a concept of heavily using the tower konsumables to work through difficult challenges and accumulate currency. With the difficulty nerf, these are barely used at all and they are just stacking up in the inventory. Not to say that it was in the right place to start with, but I don't think it was straight malice that got it where it was. Even the currencies are pretty good now if you target them with konsumables (as in get 16 hearts per one round match instead of 3 for 25 matches kind of help).

Yes, the grind was too bad at the start and the information about what was going on was lacking, but I don't know that the response was proportional.

Anyway, I am enjoying it. Really pulling for a tag mode added. Even the teases of it we have here are a lot of fun. The only reason I'll rate MK9 higher was just how much fun tag was.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Voted great. 2nd best NRS game imo. Quickly fixed some issues and working on others. The absurdity of Fatal Blows in their current form and about 4 characters ridiculous toolsets are my only real complaints. Game is great.

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
We just got a reset in MK9
MK9 wasn't a reset, it was a franchise reboot which, if you ask me, was badly needed as the entire story after MK3 got way too split up and convoluted. Also the MK1, 2 and 3 stories were poorly told due to medium and platform limitations back in the day so a 'reboot' allowing us to revisit the old storylines now properly and fully fleshed out was exactly what it was needed.

A reboot is basically a re-telling. A reset is flat out retconning, which is something you generally don't do as usually retcons are only done if you seriously screw up as a writer and basically put yourself into a corner that you cannot bullshit your way out of. IMO the entire 'Dark Raiden' plot reeks of this.

Definitely one of the best Mortal Kombat games ever released. And I suspect it will only get better as they continue to make adjustments and improve it.

There are some understandable gripes on release -- but they've already started working on things, and I think that this game will stand the test of time.
I still dearly hope that they will completely remove the server requirement one day for all the SINGLEPLAYER content. It is not needed at all and only increases costs... costs which WB then try to pass onto us.

I could see a future where it could be my favorite MK game if it is supported with content for a long time, add some missing modes like tag-team and have old-school secrets.

Right now I would put it behind MK9 as a whole, but the fighting system is hands-down the most developed out of all of the games. Online gameplay I am having a better time with than any previous MK game, but its still not as fluid as some others, like Killer Instinct.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I think it's easily one of the best MK games, but to say it's THE best I'm not sure. I think that'll depend on how the future plays out and what DLC we get as well. I definitely like it way more than MK X but not sure I like it as much as MK 9 however. Like with any FG or game in general, it has it's pros and cons.

As a fighting game it is brilliant. The graphics, the net code, the whole overall feel of doing the fights - all just superb. I'm also a huge fan of the custom variation system since it's great to be able to go in and play around with a bunch of stuff in order to find out what combination works the best for you with a character. In previous games, there were some moves that just weren't your style and so you kind of felt that you were playing with half a character when you picked them and now you can just switch it out for another ability you'd actually use. They've made an awesome game.

They did however, drop the ball with the ToT and the preset variation thing. The grind has been fixed a lot but there are still some things that are dumb and the konsumables are just some weird freeware thing that really has no place in a serious fighting game. The decision to use presets for tournament variations was a silly one and it takes probably the best part of the game out of the "official" way to play it, not to mention that whomever it was that put the presets together had clearly not ever played a single game with at least half the roster because most of them are just subpar nonsense and you're better off just straight up ignoring them and playing the kasual matches.

So there were a couple of high profile stumbles, but for the most part, I am super impressed with it.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I personally think this is the best MK to date!
Gameplay, aesthetics, graphics, designs, the netcode, the story... it's all amazing, imo!

The grind was real at launch, but after the patches and such, it's become A LOT better. The game is growing into its shoes, so to speak. It's not perfect, but it's not going to change how I feel about the rest of the game.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
Game is phenomenal on just about every level. Best MK ever? Most likely not. I think that honor goes to MK9. But is it damn near close? Absolutely. It definitely dwarfs all other previous MK's in sheer content, is a fucking blast to play, and has one hell of a roster.

Gameplay: 9.5/10
Content: 10/10
Story: 8/10
Replayability: 10/10
Graphics: 10/10
Accessibility: 8/10

Total: 55.5/60 or 92% in my book. I feel like only the initial grind for cosmetics holds it back. Had that not been an issue at the beginning, then this could have easily been a 100% for me. ^^

After playing MK11 for 17 days straight, I can honestly say, that this is the best MK ever made imo.

The gameplay and fighting mechanics are amazing and totally on point. I love the slower pacing of the matches, I prefer the Fatal Blows over the X-Ray Moves and unlike others, I think the characters do feel "complete". I love the fact, that you can swap special moves, have different variantions and can create your favorite fighters just the way you want. After the patch, the Towers of Time are actually fun to play. I love completing them just to get cool rewards for my favorite fighters. The arcade mode is just as good as ever. Nothing special here, but I like how they kept them basic. Online works great for me, too. And the good old 1v1 is still the best way to play any MK game imo.

The graphics are outstanding, no other beat 'em up looks as good as MK11. In fact, it is one of the best looking games ever made. Character animation is also about as good as it gets. The sound design is also superb. Listening to all these cruelties makes you cringe in pain^^. The Fatalities have never been better and more gruesome.

The content of this game is sheer amazing and you find yourself coming back to it again and again. It is lots of fun hunting for skins, gear, and other stuff you want for your fighters. Which brings me to another key aspect of this game: the Krypt. It is huge. The biggest one yet. but not only that, it is also the best one yet. It is desgined like an adventure game, where you can freely roam Shang Tsung's Island and visit many familiar places from the entire MK franchise. You can roam in previous fighting arenas, arenas from this game and even locations from the first MK movie. Hell, even Reptile's statue from the movie is in this game. And how awesome is it, that Shang Tsung is your Krypt guide. Very cool that he is designed after Carey and also voiced by him. MK11 is full of references and secrets.

The roster is also one of the very best we ever got in a MK game imo. Many fan favorites make a welcome return, while the all-time klassics are still present. Of course, I am missing some fighters, but with a fighting game franchise that exists for more than 27 years now, it is impossible to include every single character and to please absolutely everyone. I feel this roster got it just about right. I much prefer it to MKX's roster.

The story mode is also the biggest and best one yet. It is presented in such a cinematic way of epic proportions. I just fell in love with it. Also love the fact, that in some chapters, you can choose between fighters. I even went back to it to re-play those chapters, just to complete the story mode 100% and fight with every character. That's how awesome this mode is.

The Tutorials. My god, hands down the best and most in-depth tutorial in any MK ever. All of it is explained very well for the most part. The tricky parts actually encourage me to get back and get better at performing them. This is how a tutotial should be imo.

Overall, this game feels like a giant love letter to the entire MK franchise and I honestly think, that MK11 is the best MK game to date!

Last edited:
I love the Towers of Time now, since the update there is so much to do in there, it's like a little mini-campaign for Baraka and Me. The grind in the towers isn't bad, it's fun and doable and using the konsumables to create level playing fields and strategy is fun and interesting. Earning items, skins, keys, etc, is fun and I think they strike a good balance with it.

I enjoy the Krypt, though I used the Heads Exploit before it was patched, so that may have made me see it in a better light without that massive grind. I would have preferred more from the Krypt, but it's the best one they've done, and I love the little lore tidbits and I could actually do more with Carey's voice overs.

The Story was decent, I'm not sure how I feel about it. A great build up on the story, and then it's like a brick wall, the ending didn't do anything for me. It kind of feels like the Mass Effect 3 of MK Story endings.

The Kustomization is meh. I like picking my own abilities. I love the gear concept but would have preferred more of the Injustice 2 approach than just three items. I'm still sore about the Premium Skins being 7 Ninja Mime recolors... :mad:

AI Battles... I just don't understand why they want people doing these. So I can go and do dishes while my characters fight on 4X speed???

Overall, a great MK Game, with a lot of potential for DLC and patching. It's great, there's just a few things that are wonky and annoying, but the good out weighs the bad in my opinion.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
The gameplay is one of the best parts of this game. I love the direction they took the fighting in and it's so fun to play online I don't think I'll put this one down for a very long time. I do think that some days the servers aren't working super well, sometimes it's fine, sometimes I keep getting disconnects which makes the Krypt unplayable. But overall with all the other changes they made with the hotfixes and the patches, this game is going to be incredible in the long run, which is really what you want out of a competitive fighting game.

I am happy with the characters and the variety. It's rare that I can tell before I play a fighting game which ones will be my mains, but I was spot on with Cass and Noob.

I also wish we knew more about that locked ranked mode and how it's going to work exactly, I've only done one ranked set because I feel that mode will probably have proper ranks, or something close to it. I hope they discuss it soon.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
for starters, I have never played a fighting style game that has started so balanced as this.
PRO'S
in terms of story? ALMOST halo level, and IMO halo is one of the best game Lore I have known.
game-play is beautiful, lighting is superb graphics are the best To date.
many people hate rng but with it's fixes, the Krypt is really fun even just to walk around and have my friends and I get scared from the monsters. also that krypt is the closest we have got too 1rst person mortal kombat, konsidering there are 3 actual stages. and the graphics!

CON'S
Towers are really fun, but TOWER Kronika's death is better than her story death IMO
Many skin's just aren't that great I.e Cassie's weird battle sweat shirts. Thank you @STB Sgt Reed, The Tourney variations should not exist. it should only be customs.
overall I give Mortal Kombat 11 10.9/11

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Probably the second best MK behind MK9 for me (the reason being the better roster in mk9 and my biggest gripe being pretty annoying... see below).

Pros:
Single Player Content (Loved the story and how there's so much lore in the krypt)
Online Quality
Ranked being FT3 (feels very tournament like)
More Neutral Oriented Gameplay
Reimagining of certain Characters. (Skarlet, how Kotal and Raiden look imposing, etc)

Cons:
Roster is average (this is just a personal con, I could see a lot of people loving the roster)
Tournament Variations leave a lot to be desired
Customization (rather have gear pieces dropped when playing matches and a lot less recolors of the same skins)

The biggest thing that drops it a notch for me, however, is the fatal blow mechanic. I absolutely hate this. No one has to work to obtain it, you don't have to be mindful of resources, it comes back if you miss or it's blocked... like my god, it's the biggest scrub thing I've ever seen. Oh and they last for damn ever and since they're free to get and use, they HAPPEN EVERY MATCH. I'm already so sick of seeing them and it's week 2. lol

Last edited:

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
Probably the second best MK behind MK9 for me (the reason being the better roster in mk9 and my biggest gripe being pretty annoying... see below).

Pros:
Single Player Content (Loved the story and how there's so much lore in the krypt)
Online Quality
Ranked being FT3 (feels very tournament like)
More Neutral Oriented Gameplay
Reimagining of certain Characters. (Skarlet, how Kotal and Raiden look imposing, etc)

Cons:
Roster is average (this is just a personal con, I could see a lot of people loving the roster)
Tournament Variations leave a lot to be desired
Customization (rather have gear pieces dropped when playing matches and a lot less recolors of the same skins)

The biggest thing that drops it a notch for me, however, is the fatal blow mechanic. I absolutely hate this. No one has to work to obtain it, you don't have to be mindful of resources, it comes back if you miss or it's blocked... like my god, it's the biggest scrub thing I've ever seen.
then again it is a step up from x. they should give you an option to not allow those

Graphics are really good, (not mentioning switch version here), facial animation is outstanding. Shocked that it runs at 1080p 60 FPS on. My base PS4 when Tekken 7 doesn't.
Audio is great. Almost every new voice fits the characters better (Aside from Sonya). New Kano and Scorpion are the best they've ever been.
Story: not good. I wouldn't mind if it was just cheesy with nonsense power shuffling, but pretty much going REBOOT IT AGAIN feels like a bit of an insult for even getting invested.
Roster: very good, but we'll see how it looks with all the dlc. Some of my favorites are back (Baraka) and some of my favorites are just gone (Reptile). The new characters are mostly bland, but I really like Kollektor.
The gameplay: really good, but it feels significantly simplified. The inputs are definitely easier to perform, and the Fatal Blow mechanic feels like it's there to give casuals a chance. There are issues with hitboxes. I once jumped over my friend, he did an uppercut and I was teleported straight in front of him. Krushing Blow, end of the match. I'd understand if it was online, but it was local. Not sure if MKX or 11 is better in this department, but it might be habit talking.
The Krypt: damn, the best it's ever been. Exploring the island, finding secrets and hearing Shang Tsung call me dumb over and over is incredible. I hate the random nature of it and annoying soul grind, but the rest of it is really great.
Variations: not as varied as MKX. Pretty sure in story mode characters have all of their moves and for other modes they are taken out for balance reasons. The starting characters often are missing a slot, and if you aren't big on customisation you might not even know it.
Outfits and skins: disappointing. Injustice 2 had a lot more variety for a lot less grind. Some characters barely change, some just don't feel right (Noob's cenobyte and nazgul helmets). The dead variants being the default for some characters is annoying, especially since all of their dialogues are from alive versions.
Towers of time are manageable and give good rewards, but turn disappointing because of the skins. I don't mind found ten battles with weird modifiers for a skin, but when the skin is the one I already have but now purple it feels pointless.
Overall: gameplay, graphics, presentation amazing, I love the game but have some gripes with the grind.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Thank goodness the gameplay is fun as hell but honestly not in love with this game yet. When devs make bad/shady decisions of rolling out their game, it does effect the way I look at their product. AHEM.....Custom Variations. Thats my BIGGEST gripe with this game and its pretty fucking big considering their marketing was about making each character your own and obviously u cant do that with whack ass Tournament variations where Geras is king in that department.