What's new

Discussion Most Interesting Matchups?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Basically, I'm curious what matchups are the funnest to you for any reason. It doesn't have to be an even matchup per day, but which ones are the coolest to play and see in your opinion?

For me, Grandmaster Sub-Zero vs Dragon's Fire Liu Kang is a pretty interesting one. While it could be argued that SZ takes the cake slightly on this one, they both have so many ways to murder each other and put each other in really terrible situations, and it can be really nerve racking on both ends trying to get your stuff started first.

STB Damashi

SmallBurntEarths
Hmm...probably A-List vs Dragon's Fire just because it is an intense battle of cancels, aggression, fast-paced reads. I don't think I've seen many of them though

JORGIE

Noob
My favorite matchup in this whole game is the Unstoppable Jason mirror. Time almost always runs out

Casuals in an inferno mirror match

Honourable mentions:
Blood god mirror
Blood god vs GM
Jax mirror (11, d12, d12~unsafe OHDP all day)
Unstoppable mirror

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Balanced vs Spectral
Most matches as Special Forces (GM, A-List, War God are fun)
Spec Ops mirror
Cybernetic vs Royal Storm/Assassin
Cyber Sub vs Hish Qu Ten

Some of my favourites from experience

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Why CSZ vs HQT?
It's just really interesting how the momentum is always so one-sided and there's rarely much neutral going on. It's a back and forth of either heavy HQT zoning and CSZ trying to get in or CSZ applying pressure/pushing to the corner/doing mixups/destroying HQT in the corner and HQT desperately trying to get out. It was really fun when I played it lol

Noob
Erron Black vs Blood God Kotal
Erron Black vs D'Vorah

If the opponent doesn't know how to low poke out of 21122 you can literally just keep spamming 21122~10% gunshots over and over haha

Same with D'Vorah, best thing that can happen is you get them off a bar if they decide to armour out the last hit on the gunshot. And all those gimmicky low pokes into puddle, you can just keep tick throwing every time.

Last but not least SMOKE vs RANKED players LOL its the best. Most one sided match up ever :DOGE

Last edited:

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Grandmaster Sub Zero VS Grandmaster Sub Zero. It's like playing against yourself. If you guys play them, you'll notice that both are dancing in the icy arena with their Klones. Just test yourselves like this and check out who's the true Sub Zero.
Alien Tarkatan VS Jason. Alien is a counterattack against Jason's Perfect Guard with his Tail Grab. If timed right, Alien can cancel out Jason's Perfect Guard.
Grandmaster Sub Zero VS Kotal Khan ALL Variations. It's very interesting, because I often play GMSZ against my friend's Kotal Khan. It's quite even.
Raiden Thunder God VS Grandmaster Sub Zero. I played Raiden against my friend's GMSZ and found this match interesting as I'm currently training with him and learning his pros and cons. Like in GMSZ, I tend to avoid attacks that you can't block afterwards, i.e. Superman.

Everything is very interesting, though. When I watch many matches, I tend to learn one or two things, quite useful to my variations.

ando1184

Noob
Balanced vs Spectral
Most matches as Special Forces (GM, A-List, War God are fun)
Spec Ops mirror
Cybernetic vs Royal Storm/Assassin
Cyber Sub vs Hish Qu Ten

Some of my favourites from experience
Balanced vs spectral? I haven't witnessed that before but can only imagine it being tough for kenshi?

PlatypusVortex

15 time Evo champion
I really enjoy reptile vs grandmaster. Its a bad match up but i just like that you have to play it so differently than anyone else. Positioning becomes extremely important and patience is crucial.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I really enjoy reptile vs grandmaster. Its a bad match up but i just like that you have to play it so differently than anyone else. Positioning becomes extremely important and patience is crucial.
Interesting. If you main Reptile and are in EU, I'd like a match with you as GMSZ to check Subby's pros and cons against Reptile. Never played against him.

PlatypusVortex

15 time Evo champion
Interesting. If you main Reptile and are in EU, I'd like a match with you as GMSZ to check Subby's pros and cons against Reptile. Never played against him.
North America im afraid. Sub definitely wins though. Not by too much though.