• Injustice

Votes: 30 22.2%
  • MKX

Votes: 96 71.1%

• Total voters

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
"like"

7 characters is around 5 characters, lol @ the reaching. And even that you're forgetting Freddy and a few others but the point is, MK9 only had a handful of truly viable characters at any one time.

Let's see...

Kabal, Kenshi, Kung Lao, Sonya, Cyrax, Freddy, Smoke, Jax, Cage, Reptile, Liu Kang, Kitana, Shang Tsung, Raiden, Sektor were certainly viable. You could argue that some of these characters didn't get as many top 8s as the top ten, but when played at the highest level they could definitely compete. PL's Raiden, Ikizzle and Eklectic's Sektors, Cossner and Chris G's Reptiles, XBlades' Liu Kang, Bit's Kitana, Wound's Shang Tsung, etc.

So that's 16 characters out of 29? 17 if you want to count Mileena. Without her for argument's sake that's 13 allegedly non-viable characters.

16 isn't bad at all. This is without looking at Insuperable or Dink's Quan Chi or Slips or MIT's Scorpion which had their moments of tournament viability. If you did consider them tournament viable low tiers, that'd be 18 out of 29, still not bad at all.

Rude

While i have my preferences as to what i enjoy playing more, MK X so far seems the most balanced after Injustice.

Then again, I think the game is young and we're all still learning, even top players, so we should chill.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Depends. If you're talking about tier balance then MKX hands-down. The huge random factor in this game due to nearly everyone having 50/50s and the fact that variations are essentially a character having 3 chances at being good makes pretty much everyone viable. Characters like Sonya are as good as how many times you guess correctly on the day.

If you treat variations as different characters though MKX would by far be the least balanced game, meaning Injustice would be the most balanced. There are so many unviable variations in this game, but to be fair NRS haven't finished patching yet.

If you're talking about gameplay balance, as in which game accompanies the most amount of playstyles/archetypes then Injustice hands-down. Even among the top-tier there's a lot of variation.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
MKX no question is further along as far as a balanced game is.

Injustice was almost doomed from the start thanks to Superman and Black Adam...but in the end, 4 characters dominated (MMH, Aquaman, Zod and Batgirl...3 DLC characters I may add) and about 5 or so characters were irrelevant (Ares, Cyborg, Green Arrow, Scorpion, Joker)

MK9 at the end of the day had like 10 or so viable characters and the rest were garbage. Lots of other glitches were in there that drove a lot of us mad like random frame advantage, meter drain glitch, PLAYER 1 ADVANTAGE, just to name a few.

JDM

Noob
Let's see...

Kabal, Kenshi, Kung Lao, Sonya, Cyrax, Freddy, Smoke, Jax, Cage, Reptile, Liu Kang, Kitana, Shang Tsung, Raiden, Sektor were certainly viable. You could argue that some of these characters didn't get as many top 8s as the top ten, but when played at the highest level they could definitely compete. PL's Raiden, Ikizzle and Eklectic's Sektors, Cossner and Chris G's Reptiles, XBlades' Liu Kang, Bit's Kitana, Wound's Shang Tsung, etc.

So that's 16 characters out of 29? 17 if you want to count Mileena. Without her for argument's sake that's 13 allegedly non-viable characters.

16 isn't bad at all. This is without looking at Insuperable or Dink's Quan Chi or Slips or MIT's Scorpion which had their moments of tournament viability. If you did consider them tournament viable low tiers, that'd be 18 out of 29, still not bad at all.
I guess you're right tbh, but the gap really is immense between mid tier and top tier in that game. Even if Reptile and others were "viable" they were still horrid picks compared to the top tiers.

Rude

I guess you're right tbh, but the gap really is immense between mid tier and top tier in that game. Even if Reptile and others were "viable" they were still horrid picks compared to the top tiers.

Reptile was arguably top 10.

trufenix

bye felicia
No. That's not how that works.
My point is being mid tier and viable is not the same as being top tier. Nobody argues about Kabal, Kenshi, Cyrax, Kitana, and Sonya. Nobody. They are community proven to have few (or no) losing match ups. They are top tier.

Meanwhile, people like throw Jax, Cage, Reptile, Freddy, Shang, Sektor, Smoke, Skarlet, etc into the ring because they wreck the same 10 or so characters the real top tiers already wreck. That's not real top tier. That's just viable. That's just winning the MvC2 Cable award for shutting down low tiers. They still struggle (or lose) to the real top tier.

A real top tier is irrefutable. Chris G or CDjr having a really good day is not the same thing.

JDM

Noob
My point is being mid tier and viable is not the same as being top tier. Nobody argues about Kabal, Kenshi, Cyrax, Kitana, and Sonya. Nobody. They are community proven to have few (or no) losing match ups. They are top tier.

Meanwhile, people like throw Jax, Cage, Reptile, Freddy, Shang, Sektor, Smoke, Skarlet, etc into the ring because they wreck the same 10 or so characters the real top tiers already wreck. That's not real top tier. That's just viable. That's just winning the MvC2 Cable award for shutting down low tiers. They still struggle (or lose) to the real top tier.

A real top tier is irrefutable. Chris G or CDjr having a really good day is not the same thing.

While I agree, I think Freddy was top tier.

This isn't even close - it's MKX by far. The games you've mentioned have gotten progressively better as they were released.

1 - MKX
2 - Injustice
3 - MK9

I think we will see even more character diversity as patches come and underused variations are fleshed out. Just look at the MKX top 8 at EVO this year. I think there were 9 different characters used.
there're 8 different character out of 9 at evo.

Rude

Chris G beat m2dave, who used an undeniably top 10 character in Freddy and he didn't play the game seriously.

Reptile was more than capable of winning and placing at tournaments.

The original statement was that MK9 had 5-7 viable characters. This false.

Rude

But he still wasn't near the top 5 of the game, even if he was the tenth best character that's saying something
It means he was top ten and viable. Reptile was fine. He could compete. The fact that he did better vs Kenshi and Kabal than a LOT of other characters is very telling.

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
Results are looking like I expected. I created this topic because someone said that MKX was the most broken, and that he's rather fight Kabal than anyone in MKX.
He has a point. MK9 was the only game revolved around certain rules and mechanics. Whatever you pick, you have the same jump and aerial attacks with your opponent, a 7 frame d3, a 12 frame d4 and at least 1 truly MID hitting string.

All these made a game who compared players and not characters

Sometimes not everything must be different, if you think about it, similarity is a concept of balance

Thus, I would also prefer picking my Quan Chi against Kabal, than Jason against... Kung Lao

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
MKX no question is further along as far as a balanced game is.

Injustice was almost doomed from the start thanks to Superman and Black Adam...but in the end, 4 characters dominated (MMH, Aquaman, Zod and Batgirl...3 DLC characters I may add) and about 5 or so characters were irrelevant (Ares, Cyborg, Green Arrow, Scorpion, Joker)

MK9 at the end of the day had like 10 or so viable characters and the rest were garbage. Lots of other glitches were in there that drove a lot of us mad like random frame advantage, meter drain glitch, PLAYER 1 ADVANTAGE, just to name a few.
Let's all stop upplaying Grundy

This is a hard one injustice and mkx are almost tied for first. if you look at all injustices characters the only characters that were truly not viable were joker and maybe scorpion or cyborg. Everyone else was viable. The only kinda broken character was marshan manhunter with his safe teleport and red orb BS.

In mkx no one is really " broken" to me. But then again there are just as many nonviable characters. Jason goro and jaqui are unusable. But I feel like the gap between top tier and mid tier is more spaced out than it is in mkx then in injustice. So in theory the mid tier and low tier characters would be worse in this game then in injustice. I say injustice but just by a tad bit.
Jason is definitely viable. FKjr has one of the nastiest jasons I've ever seen. FKsr? lol took a game off of sonic fox with goro. Jacqui is pretty bad though, Idk if I'd label her unviable. MKX imo is much more balanced.

Schuyler

Noob
Jason is definitely viable. FKjr has one of the nastiest jasons I've ever seen. FKsr? lol took a game off of sonic fox with goro. Jacqui is pretty bad though, Idk if I'd label her nonviable. MKX imo is much more balanced.
As far as tournament viable goes goro jaqui or jason isn't. In injustice I never felt like this charcter has tons of options and tools while I only have a few. In MKX i have felt like that while playing jaqui and jason.

Schuyler

Noob
Jacqui is viable, she's not even that bad. Jason just got top 8 at EGL tournament or top 16 I forget what place REO got. Jason is solid. Goro is underrated imo as well.

Injustice had Scorpion, Joker, Cyborg (Zod did literally everything better, only person who even played this character was Relaxed State, had a ~9-1 MU against manhunter). And not to mention the top tiers were just way better than most characters. I think Injustice was relatively balanced but not as well balanced as MKX. The order definitely goes MKX>INJ>MK9 though. When the game came out there was a bunch of unviable or very bad characters in Injustice, there was never anything like that in MKX.
I have a very good scrpion on my friends list he has a vortex. If you were a joker player you were usually good with him with his unblock able mixups and good cross ups. Cyborgs instant air fire ball plus the target aquired were fun times online. None of these characters were tournament viable but then again jacqui Goro or jason isnt imo. Takeda is barley tournament viable but if you just slightly know the matchup you blow him tf up. It was top 16 btw. More characters in injustice are tournament viable then in mkx imo. Online everyone is viable in injustice while MKX has useless variations for just about every character.
Plus each play style was represented very well in injustice, Its like if you like rushdown you can play a high tier or low tier rushdown charcter. Same with zonning or grapples. Whos a half way decent grappler in mkx ? In most of the life with this game everyone thought zonning was dead. The only decent zoning characters in mkx is kenshi kitana and quan chi while the rest are footsie characters or straight up rushdown.