What's new

Mortal Kombat Movie Release Date: April 16, 2021

After lots of rumoring, various delays, and years' worth of hopes and expectations, the time is finally upon us -- the upcoming Mortal Kombat movie has a release date: April 16, 2021.

The producer, Todd Garner of Broken Road Productions, tweeted the date on Monday afternoon, along with a note to expect a trailer early in 2021. Release is set for both theatres and HBO MAX.

Comments

Reptile looks funky, wasn't expecting them to go full Deadly Alliance.
Mileena makes me appreciate that MK11 Mileena ditched the lips for a full Tarkatan jaw.
Also wasn't expecting Goro based on MKX and the Shao statue based on MK11.

Lol get wrecked Reiko

This is the best thing ever created. No criticisms will be accepted.

MAH BOI SUB ZERO LOOKING GOOD!

Shao and Goro OMG They look fantastic and 100% faithful.

Just watched it in English now at last with the volume up, that looks great fun, I’m really excited for it now... glad to have always held onto my optimism. Adored the fact they use the MK theme in an orchestral reinterpretation at the end... and gotta love Kano’s heart rip, his response had me beaming ear to ear :D

I assume from the trailer that part of the plot revolves around Raiden's younger cousin stealing his clothes and trying to impersonate the real Raiden.

It looks gory and cheesy, the fights looked great... I'm excited! Cole who? idk. The trailer looked really fun, I'm in!!

I'm not sure if the big lizard is Reptile... it could be. He's been having it rough since 1997

Bi Han looking fucking evil is awesome. Kano ripping someone's heart. Badass Jax. This is already better than Annihilation. At least no blonde human Raiden has been sighted so far.

Wow. That trailer actually turned out better than I thought. It almost looks like it can have its own cinematic universe because I actually got a little bit of Avengers vibe from it.

I think at most it'll be a trilogy. It'll be hard to have a large cinematic universe when nearly every single fight ends with a character dying.
True. That's one of the reasons why I wish the MK Legacy series wasn't canned. There could've been a lot opportunities to spend more time with the characters and create more interesting stories. Netflix or HBO should've picked it up and continue it.

Prince Goro is looking SICK!!! Here's to hoping he isn't made out to be fodder.

In general I was pleasantly surprised by the trailer. The exposition was kind of on the nose and cheese but the movie itself looks gnarly.

True. That's one of the reasons why I wish the MK Legacy series wasn't canned. There could've been a lot opportunities to spend more time with the characters and create more interesting stories. Netflix or HBO should've picked it up and continue it.
There's a whole third series based on Mortal Kombat X just sat completed but unreleased in the WB archive. I think it would have made perfect sense to just release during all of the delays to the movie, especially since it stars Lewis Tan. According to the director, it's down to the fans to be heard to get it released:

Am I looking at it wrong, or is Kano shooting lasers out of his left eye?
After watching the trailer many times, I have a theory.

You see him shooting a laser beam and his face is normal. After the fight with the lizard, he has his face scarred. I bet this is when we start seeing his red eye, and maybe later half of his face is ripped out and we see the metal plate. A Terminator tribute all in all.

One question though....

Goro leaps towards a guy...

WHO would that dude be ? His upper half looked weird, like covered in sand or having some prosthetics on his back ? Strange...

The ‘lizard’ is reptile. Trust me, it’s a giant lizard in Mortal Kombat lol. Who else is it? Swole Tung, the new original lizard?