What's new

Mortal Kombat Movie Release Date: April 16, 2021

After lots of rumoring, various delays, and years' worth of hopes and expectations, the time is finally upon us -- the upcoming Mortal Kombat movie has a release date: April 16, 2021.

The producer, Todd Garner of Broken Road Productions, tweeted the date on Monday afternoon, along with a note to expect a trailer early in 2021. Release is set for both theatres and HBO MAX.

Comments

Yeah because it isn't like Hip-Hop isn't the biggest genre on the entire planet. It isn't like our culture influences everything from lingo to the way these corporations promote their businesses. I get tired of hearing yall MK fans talking down on Hip-Hop.
Lingo is cool, culture is cool, old school hip hop is great, modern is shitty. Specially when its incorporated into something that doesn't fit at all, its jarring.

Last edited:
Yeah because it isn't like Hip-Hop isn't the biggest genre on the entire planet. It isn't like our culture influences everything from lingo to the way these corporations promote their businesses. I get tired of hearing yall MK fans talking down on Hip-Hop.
I respect the genre and the culture from where it all it started, but to his credit, I understand his outlook. Most of today's hip hop is trash now. Especially the commercial mainstream tracks they use for promotion because the artists always try to channel some repetitive pop and trap sound just for party music. Their music is not even reflective of the history and most of the time they don't even acknowledge the MCs that came before them.

If you are going to use a hip hop track to promote something MK related, a good example would be somebody like Wu Tang Clan. Given their history and how they started, it's more fitting to the franchise.

But, to not go off topic, I do too hope they continue using the MK theme song. A hip hop track isn't always necessary. Sometimes other genres or the official game theme song fits just simply fits better. Remember the negative feedback the Sonic trailer got because they used Coolio's song? I'm a 90s hip hop fanatic, but even I thought that was so out of place.

Last edited:
I'm sure somebody else mentioned it here somewhere, but I think Cole Young will be Johnny Cage before he takes up the Johnny Cage stage name. They're going to try and make it some JC origin story alongside it being a story for the first game.

They said months back that JC would have a huge role to play (but they're remaining tight lipped on it), yet we still know absolutely zero about JC, no casting, anything (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). JC is a HUGE character to omit, and add to this that he's basically been one of the main protags in recent years, to the point where he overshadowed Liu Kang until the latter half of MK11.

Also, this part of the synopsis - "But will Cole be pushed hard enough to unlock his arcana—the immense power from within his soul—in time to save not only his family, but to stop Outworld once and for all?” - that is 100% referring to Johnny's green Seido energy or whatever the fuck it is. He'll come back from the tournament at the end of the movie, realise that he wants to go into acting/has a film idea based on the tournament or some shit, and use his MMA in that role under his new stage name - Johnny Cage.

some predictions about the movie

-Jax loses his arms to some bad guy (possibly Subzero) before upgrading to his metal arms as shown in the pictures.
-Kano loses his eye to some good guy.
-The Subzero in this movie is Bi Han and he kills off Hanzo in the opening 10minute scene.
-Cole Young is now officially said to be linked to an established MK character. My guess is that he is related to Liu/Lao or Hanzo.
-Rayden and Shang Tsung won't be fighting in this one. Maybe some magic tricks/special moves to establish that they're both badasses but nothing more.
-I'm guessing Goro is a well kept secret up till now.
-Cole is the protagonist but he won't be stealing Liu Kang's spotlight in the final fight. Also , at some point (i'm guessing when he confronts SubZero for the 1st time) he'll be at a near death situation and some hero will save his life.
-Obviously, at some point Kano is turning against the good guys and I'm guessing Kabal and maybe some other extras will be having sth to do with that fight Ludi Lin posted on his twitter months ago. Liu VS Kabal is a given fight in my opinion.
-As we all know, nitara and mileena are in, just for Nitara to get killed off.
-I'm not falling for the shao kahn hammer/jax picture... Someone else uses it and shao kahn is in the movie just as a cameo.

I’ve gotta say though, even with the Cole Young stuff (which could work, you never know) I’m pretty hyped. I’m not expecting an Oscar worthy movie - obviously not lol - but I’m looking forward to a cheesy martial arts film based on my favourite franchise. Plus, it seems like they’re going full in on the brutality and gore.

the Cole Young = Kuai Liang theory is actually dumb as hell, but at the same time most probable.

Anyway, reading through the plot sneak peak, it seems that it's one of two things
  1. it's totally made up to cover up OG Mortal Kombat story
  2. it's going to be the worst MK incarnation of all time (and yes, I'm counting the Armageddon)

I think Cole will be Johnny, Bi Han will kill Hanzo at the beginning of the movie, their feud and Kuai Liang will be introduced. Hanzo be will become Scorpion and end up killing Bi Han by the end. I think if they setup for a sequel it ends with Kuai Liang becoming SZ

It's a joke at this point. Music changes and whatever sells is what they'll use. Get over it.
13 weeks until release, and we have NOTHING official from WB about this film.
It's called anticipation. Maybe if you produce a film one day, you'll have to use it :)

I really wish that after the dust is settled with all this movie shit they could kick back and make 3 or 4 more Mir films. This looks like something that's waiting to bomb, tbh

Last edited:
Lmfao what. Its called lack of promotion. If people don't knows this fucking movie exists there is no anticipation.
It reminds me of 2013 Dredd, badass action movie but was so horribly promoted it unfairly bombed.

Nobody except a few people on this website would be shitting themselves over a Mortal Kombat movie unless they see some great advertising. Only the most popular and beloved franchises could get away with that, but nothing is guaranteed success. Justice League bombed, it was a terrible movie, but even then has the most popular super heroes, with Batman being one of the most profitable characters ever. Solo lost money and Rise of Skywalker underperformed, so if Batman and Star Wars aren't guaranteed success even with advertisements, MK shouldn't be messing around.