What's new

Mortal Kombat Movie Release Date: April 16, 2021

After lots of rumoring, various delays, and years' worth of hopes and expectations, the time is finally upon us -- the upcoming Mortal Kombat movie has a release date: April 16, 2021.

The producer, Todd Garner of Broken Road Productions, tweeted the date on Monday afternoon, along with a note to expect a trailer early in 2021. Release is set for both theatres and HBO MAX.

Comments

I'm not saying the movie is guaranteed to be bad (I think it will be mostly watchable but not great), but it seems like WB lacks confidence in this movie.

One question from me, again...

HOW will this movie (even if it kicks ass and is great) will make a profit or be concidered a success for us to get a sequel?
With the pandemic going on, ticket sales from theaters is a big economic black hole. Add the free downloading and free streaming from sites that some people use and what does that leave for MK's box office?
Can someone comment on that?

HOW will this movie (even if it kicks ass and is great) will make a profit or be concidered a success for us to get a sequel?
With the pandemic going on, ticket sales from theaters is a big economic black hole. Add the free downloading and free streaming from sites that some people use and what does that leave for MK's box office?
They'll try to make profit from streaming (HBO) and every theater available. They can't go theater only after seeing how New Mutants and Tenet bombed hard.

The studios/producers will be looking at other metrics in order to determine success.
views on the platform (whole/partial/rewatch), new subscribers for the month, reviews and social media engagement.

As far as I’m aware HBO Max isn’t even available outside of America is it? Therefore unless it’s released elsewhere in the world on other more widespread streaming sites like Amazon, those dodgy 123movie piracy platforms with their carpet bombing barrage of LiveJasmin and Chatsturbate pop ups are going to be lighting up to the tune of ‘Techno Syndrome’ come April.

As far as I’m aware HBO Max isn’t even available outside of America is it? Therefore unless it’s released elsewhere in the world on other more widespread streaming sites like Amazon, those dodgy 123movie piracy platforms with their carpet bombing barrage of LiveJasmin and Chatsturbate pop ups are going to be lighting up to the tune of ‘Techno Syndrome’ come April.
BEST COMMENT EVER...
Still... If theaters in greece aren't open on April the 16th, I don;t know what I'm gonna do...

And don’t get me wrong, I want to and will financially support the film. If I can get it on Amazon.co.uk Prime Video for rent or purchase I’ll gladly pay for it (after all, I even paid for Annihilation in that manner just as a hilariously bad keepsake), if I can actually go to the Cinema to see it I excitedly will do. But if the exclusivity to America’s HBO Max and local lockdowns (I live on an island with only one cinema) mean I have to seek out alternative means just to watch it on release, then I’ll have to see what I can find streaming free online. I won’t be waiting 6 months for the Blu-ray just to watch it for the first time.

New MK Movie footage

Looks rly bad, especially the locations and visual.
What you’ve linked to there doesn’t show for me here, but is it the same as this new upload:

If so, I don’t understand how you can make such certain judgements over around 5 seconds of visuals and one tiny line of dialogue that’s been deliberately chosen simply because it names the film?

It looks fine so far to me, but I know even in that respect it’s still way too little footage to cast any opinion over even from a positive perspective.

So small observations from what little there is from this latest update...

Beginning stuff with Scorpion looks heavily based upon MK Legacy's Scorpion and Sub Zero origin story... and there's nothing wrong with that, I thought that was marvellously done and looking forward to seeing it on a larger budget.

Walking through the mesa looks way nicer than Annihilation's similar scenery. A small compliment admittedly, but when there's not much to go off, credit where credit's due.

KOMBAT TIME! Sonya looks great; she appears to be in far more toned physical shape than both previous movie actresses, she looks believably well trained in hand-to-hand combat. Not going to judge any acting based upon one sentence, but she looks good, nice and simple; very clearly classic Sonya without going too gritty, too sex-symbol or too cosplay.

Sub Zero looks fantastic from behind, can't wait to see the front of the costume. They're really teasing his reveal by refusing to let us ever see the mask yet, so hope it's worth the wait.

Anyway, I'm not doing a super excited wee in my underpants over any of this, it's still way too little to go by, but so far I'm enjoying what I'm seeing and optimistic for the trailer.

So small observations from what little there is from this latest update...

Beginning stuff with Scorpion looks heavily based upon MK Legacy's Scorpion and Sub Zero origin story... and there's nothing wrong with that, I thought that was marvellously done and looking forward to seeing it on a larger budget.

Walking through the mesa looks way nicer than Annihilation's similar scenery. A small compliment admittedly, but when there's not much to go off, credit where credit's due.

KOMBAT TIME! Sonya looks great; she appears to be in far more toned physical shape than both previous movie actresses, she looks believably well trained in hand-to-hand combat. Not going to judge any acting based upon one sentence, but she looks good, nice and simple; very clearly classic Sonya without going too gritty, too sex-symbol or too cosplay.

Sub Zero looks fantastic from behind, can't wait to see the front of the costume. They're really teasing his reveal by refusing to let us ever see the mask yet, so hope it's worth the wait.

Anyway, I'm not doing a super excited wee in my underpants over any of this, it's still way too little to go by, but so far I'm enjoying what I'm seeing and optimistic for the trailer.
So far, so good as aesthetics go.
I hope the trailer raises my hopes instead of
SHATTERING ALL EXPECTATIONS.

Like Art Lean said, it's still too little footage to cast an opinion and make a judgement. I will say though, from a visual, cgi and choreography standpoint, it looks like a good sign.

I remember someone here quoted an early screener viewer and mentioned it was is a mixture of Legacy and Scorpion's Revenge which also good. I can definitely see a little bit of that with Hanzo fighting against who I assume are the Lin Kuei.

Sub looks great! My only fear right now is that much of the movie is on earth, in rather dull straight forward locations, and Outworld might actually not get much screen time.