What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 was the 5th best selling game of 2019

Nevan_PTF

All your mains belong to me!
While I agree with most of what you said, to be fair casuals outnumbers the hardcore players in every genre.
This is true! I don't remember who said, I think it was Ono from Capcom or Daisuke from ArcSys, they would have very low sales if fighting games were designed with pro/hardcore in mind.

Games are meant to have sales, gotta face it and understand it, they won't please anyone. So, even though they care about the people who take the genre seriously, they have to make a game appealing to "casual" players but also having the core gameplay to keep the more serious players to keep playing the game.

It's a thine line and a really hard balance to maintain.

Oh and I'm sorry, the game isn't a huge letdown, don't overreact sigh It has gorgeous details, the models look great(Skarlet for example), one, if not the BEST training mode at the moment period. The gameplay feels fluid, yes there are issues with hitboxes but every game has them.

People are suffering from the USF4 -> SFV Syndrome, regarding MK9/X -> MK11.

Have fun my G's!

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
This is true! I don't remember who said, I think it was Ono from Capcom or Daisuke from ArcSys, they would have very low sales if fighting games were designed with pro/hardcore in mind.

Games are meant to have sales, gotta face it and understand it, they won't please anyone. So, even though they care about the people who take the genre seriously, they have to make a game appealing to "casual" players but also having the core gameplay to keep the more serious players to keep playing the game.

It's a thine line and a really hard balance to maintain.

Oh and I'm sorry, the game isn't a huge letdown, don't overreact sigh It has gorgeous details, the models look great(Skarlet for example), one, if not the BEST training mode at the moment period. The gameplay feels fluid, yes there are issues with hitboxes but every game has them.

People are suffering from the USF4 -> SFV Syndrome, regarding MK9/X -> MK11.

Have fun my G's!
Exactly, I mean I know some people hate casuals(I don't they pretty much make the industry what it is, not the few hundred hardcore players) but some folks don't realize this or understand it. Not saying they should ignore the serious players but casuals are very important as well and with money, well their money is as good as hardcore players money. To a developer, green is green know what I mean? lol That's why I like what MK and SF have done past few games in terms of philosophy. Made so that anyone can play it accessible for everyone casuals included, yet with tools for the more hardcore player. I'm fine with this.

The tricky part is when patches and nerfs, buffs are demanded that's when I think the two clash. You have the hardcore players looking down upon casuals like "you're a filthy casual you know nothing" and you have the other side seeing hardcore players as "the elitist minority" which is true sometimes. I think the developers need to listen to everyone whole and not just one particular fanbase which is tricky for sure.

Yeah the tutorial mode and training options are great in MK 11, though the game does have it's issues too like wacky hitboxes, lacking good wake up options, and Break Aways that suck compared to breakers then there's the poke and throwing systems eh...it's a solid game, but imo definitely not superior as an overall experience to MK 9 at the end of the day.

It definitely seems more people prefer SF4 to SF5 and MK 9 to MK 11 no doubt. To each his own.