What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 was the 5th best selling game of 2019

Gamer68

Fujin!
According to the NPD Group, Mortal Kombat 11 was within the top 10 best selling games of 2019 coming in at place #5. It was only beaten by Borderlands 3, Madden NFL 20, NBA 2K20, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019). It should be noted that the data was from both physical and digital sales on Nintendo eShop, PlayStation, Steam, and Xbox storefronts. So while it may not count sales from certain retailers like Amazon, GameStop, etc, it's still safe to say that the game was a massive success and most likely within the top 10 best selling games, for sure.

Ed Boon himself recognized this and made a response on Twitter:

"Exactly 1 year after our Mortal Kombat 11 "The Reveal" event, the NPD group published its top selling games of 2019. We are BLOWN AWAY at the support MK fans have given this game.

#5 selling game of 2019.

On behalf of EVERYONE who worked on this game...

Thank you!
"

The exact number of copies sold to date is still unknown, however it was the best selling game of both April and May of 2019, surpassed Kingdom Hearts III and other major 2019 titles, and according to Wikipedia, the sales of the game were noted to be almost double of previous entries in the series (most likely Mortal Kombat X).

Personally, I'm hoping that the massive sales coupled with the fact that next-gen is around the corner encourages NRS and WB to stick to their words and support the game longer than any of their other titles so far, while working in the background to deliver a true next-gen experience a few years from now.

Last edited:

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
What good titles came out in 2019? Yall act like it was a super packed year of amazing games, it's the end of the console cycle everything decent was pushed back till next year. GTAV came in 11th place common man, I get mk beat its competition but let's not pretend smash isnt multiplatform mk didnt even crack the top 10 for Nintendo. All in all good news but any other year it wouldnt be news.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Why don't they still have the numbers? lol lame
What good titles came out in 2019? Yall act like it was a super packed year of amazing games, it's the end of the console cycle everything decent was pushed back till next year. GTAV came in 11th place common man, I get mk beat its competition but let's not pretend smash isnt multiplatform mk didnt even crack the top 10 for Nintendo. All in all good news but any other year it wouldnt be news.
It was Nintendo's best selling game of april as with every other platform though, that's a feat never been done before for a multiplatform game. That's pretty cool.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Grand Theft Auto V is ALWAYS in the top 10 games sold it seems. The game is just huge.

But 2019 was a great year for games even though it was slow:
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Devil May Cry V
  • Sekiro: Shadow's Die Twice (Game of the Year, btw)
  • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
  • Super Mario Maker 2
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • Pokemon Sword/Shield
Those are some of the bigger titles that have come out this year and Mortal Kombat 11 beat them ALL. That's a pretty big deal if you ask me. I'm sure the sales of some of those games will eventually catch up, like Pokemon, but still.

Not to mention other titles like Days Gone, Luigi's Mansion 3, Gears 5, and others I'm probably forgetting.

Mortal Kombat 11 did VERY good.

EDIT: Especially when you consider that Call of Duty and sports games are pretty much unbeatable, the only game that MK11 had fair competition with and lost to was Borderlands 3.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Grand Theft Auto V is ALWAYS in the top 10 games sold it seems. The game is just huge.

But 2019 was a great year for games even though it was slow:
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Devil May Cry V
  • Sekiro: Shadow's Die Twice
  • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
  • Super Mario Maker 2
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • Pokemon Sword/Shield
Those are some of the bigger titles that have come out this year and Mortal Kombat 11 beat them ALL. That's a pretty big deal if you ask me. I'm sure the sales of some of those games will eventually catch up, like Pokemon, but still.

Not to mention other titles like Days Gone, Luigi's Mansion 3, Gears 5, and others I'm probably forgetting.

Mortal Kombat 11 did VERY good.
No I'm not going to let you get away with this.
Firstly I with you they slap the shit out of what they had in front of them 100% however
-RE2 is a remake a very large portion of players have remaster fatigue and it reallyshowed with this title.
-DMCV suffered from the opposite the collection was released 3 times in 2 years followed by 4 twice then v way to much for what was already a niche franchise.
-sekerio souls borne as much as they have taken over our collective memories the souls franchises weren't designed to be dev anchors there hard not designed for casuals even with all their successes I would still call them niche. As for sekrio specifically it made some design choices that I personally couldn't help with so I skipped it. I also know some souls royalty that did the same.
-swlj-looks like a white supremacists.
-eveyone else niche or non multiplat.
Basically my point is there were not any flagship titles that came out that wowed us like 16,17,and 18. Which isnt mks fault but it's small acknowledgment that should be made.

MKF30

I think GTA and COD are way overrated and literally same shit each game lol with just slight updates. They're like the Disney movies like MCU and SW, they can be shit and still sell well.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
I think GTA and COD are way overrated and literally same shit each game lol with just slight updates. They're like the Disney movies like MCU and SW, they can be shit and still sell well.
Yeah this is WAAAYY off base GTAV is one of the greatest games ever made. Modernwarfare (19) had the greatest campaign of any cod ever. That opinion you have their has to come from never actually picking either one of up and experiencing it for yourself.
For instance I hated deathstramding I bitched for weeks I picked it up a couple days ago wanna know something, I still hate it. But that just proves that you have to experience things before you judge them

MKF30

Yeah this is WAAAYY off base GTAV is one of the greatest games ever made. Modernwarfare (19) had the greatest campaign of any cod ever. That opinion you have their has to come from never actually picking either one of up and experiencing it for yourself.
For instance I hated deathstramding I bitched for weeks I picked it up a couple days ago wanna know something, I still hate it. But that just proves that you have to experience things before you judge them
Ehh matter of opinion it's a good game but not like THE BEST GAME EVER! Batman Arkham City and Breath of the wild are better and got perfect 10's from most reviewers than any GTA game. COD of old going back over a decade ago with MW2 was their last amazing game to me, then started to go downhill just milking the brand. And what makes you think I never picked up GTA? lol dude I'm an 80's kid I played GTA it's boring af after an hour, i have to be doing something that makes me think and not fall asleep instead of driving cars around from place to place and playing dress up. So I can assure you my opinion is valid. It's just not for me bro but if you like it, more power to you.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Ehh matter of opinion it's a good game but not like THE BEST GAME EVER! Batman Arkham City and Breath of the wild are better and got perfect 10's from most reviewers than any GTA game. COD of old going back over a decade ago with MW2 was their last amazing game to me, then started to go downhill just milking the brand. And what makes you think I never picked up GTA? lol dude I'm an 80's kid I played GTA it's boring af after an hour, i have to be doing something that makes me think and not fall asleep. So I can assure you my opinion is valid. It's just not for me bro but if you like it, more power to you.
Personally I think shadow of mordor is superior to BAA or really close to it. I wouldnt compare BOW to cod that's ludicrous lol, and your right I wasnt attacking you per sae i just hear those talking points and they sound disingenuous is all.
I dont trust a single reviewer is also a point I should make. People make to many friends and sometimes are not particularly honest.

MKF30

Nah, it just shows that you spend money on things you knew you wouldn't like....
I only do that with a few specific titles at this point but I would prefer a demo/beta first to try it out tbh.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
This is a game that me with a shitty internet can finally play lots of members on TYM and actually have fun, when was the last time a fighting game did that?

More power to them, its an incredible game, only beef are bugs and some stuff that feels unfinished, hopefully this works as a drive to improve the game further and give us more cohesive mechanics above all, if they make me addited to this game before T7 buffs their netcode, i might acually enjoy a little more.

MKF30

Personally I think shadow of mordor is superior to BAA or really close to it. I wouldnt compare BOW to cod that's ludicrous lol, and your right I wasnt attacking you per sae i just hear those talking points and they sound disingenuous is all.
I dont trust a single reviewer is also a point I should make. People make to many friends and sometimes are not particularly honest.
SOM is a great game but I think BAC(the sequel not the first) was much better than BAA, and BAA was a great game in it's own right. Origins was the weakest imo out of all of the so far. I know, just saying well I mean if we're comparing GTA to these other games why not lol. I mean different genres I know some people don't like comparing. I don't think they sound disingenuous it's my opinion after playing years of games and GTA is one of them. I just think it's overrated that's all like COD and a few other titles out there. You don't have to agree and I normally I agree perhaps now but every reviewer, critic nearly gave Batman AC a perfect or near to perfect score. The game is simply amazing in every way. GTA to me just gets repetitive, drive around on missions, running over random people, playing dress up at a store. The story is cool I mean like lots of games but the game itself bores me after 10 mins tbh. Why would comparing BOW to COd ludricrous? Zelda has been out way longer and has just as many games if not more actually lol. Cause it's a different genre?

I remember SOM pissing me off lol. How was the sequel Shadows of something? Heard that was good too but not as good as the first.

Last edited:

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
To be fair, the CoD Modern Warfare reboot brought the games back to its prime days (ish) after a string of years of futuristic warfare, so I think they pulled through on this one more or less. It's been more than 10 years since I bought a CoD game, and the inclusion of actual recoil control, bullet velocity and stuff has made this year's (or should I say last year's) CoD a breath of fresh air ngl

MKF30

To be fair, the CoD Modern Warfare reboot brought the games back to its prime days (ish) after a string of years of futuristic warfare, so I think they pulled through on this one more or less. It's been more than 10 years since I bought a CoD game, and the inclusion of actual recoil control, bullet velocity and stuff has made this year's (or should I say last year's) CoD a breath of fresh air ngl
I haven't played the new game yet, so the rumors are true it's good and more oldschool? Nice if that's the case and it's anything like MW1 or 2 I'll have to try it out. Thanks for the info, I just wish they would bring back the 4 player offline mode multiplayer. Back in the day my friends and I used to have so much fun with 4 player SS. Pizza, drinks and gaming fun times.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
SOM is a great game but I think BAC(the sequel not the first) was much better than BAA, and BAA was a great game in it's own right. Origins was the weakest imo out of all of the so far. I know, just saying well I mean if we're comparing GTA to these other games why not lol. I mean different genres I know some people don't like comparing. I don't think they sound disingenuous it's my opinion after playing years of games and GTA is one of them. I just think it's overrated that's all like COD and a few other titles out there. You don't have to agree and I normally I agree perhaps now but every reviewer, critic nearly gave Batman AC a perfect or near to perfect score. The game is simply amazing in every way. GTA to me just gets repetitive, drive around on missions, running over random people, playing dress up at a store. The story is cool I mean like lots of games but the game itself bores me after 10 mins tbh. Why would comparing BOW to COd ludricrous? Zelda has been out way longer and has just as many games if not more actually lol. Cause it's a different genre?
I agree with most of what you said here.
And yeah different genre and BOW is what top 3 games ofall time lol cod19 for as it as it is beingthe second best one probably isnt top 10

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
@ExpectFlames Hey dude it's all good though, to each his own. Hey did you play the second LOTR game? the sequel to SOM? Heard it was good too but not as good as SOM?
Yeah it's just OKAY, they didnt take any chances they expanded what was already good (nemesissystem) andthat's it. They had a capture type of game mode but its wasnt replay able for some reason just a bunch of missed opportunities all around.
Also a real weird trek to true end game and end game content which had to do with microtransactions.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Ehh matter of opinion it's a good game but not like THE BEST GAME EVER! Batman Arkham City and Breath of the wild are better and got perfect 10's from most reviewers than any GTA game. COD of old going back over a decade ago with MW2 was their last amazing game to me, then started to go downhill just milking the brand. And what makes you think I never picked up GTA? lol dude I'm an 80's kid I played GTA it's boring af after an hour, i have to be doing something that makes me think and not fall asleep instead of driving cars around from place to place and playing dress up. So I can assure you my opinion is valid. It's just not for me bro but if you like it, more power to you.
GTA 5 isnt my cup of tea but for launching in 2013 on the ps3 and 360, there is no denying it as one of the most technically impressive games ever made. I also love the Arkham games though but my favorite of all time is either Witcher 3, Uncharted 4 or 2, Halo 1-3, Bioshock Infinite, or Red Dead 2, just depends on the day you ask me. Hell even throw in Arkham City, Arkham Knight, The Last of Us, and Black Ops 2.

COD honestly gets a bad wrap more than it deserves imo. Black Ops 2 was the last great one imo though, but COD as a whole is certainly no worse than any popular shooter. People say MW 2019 is old school which I dont really agree with. Its it's own thing in a good way. I think Infinity Ward did a great job on it. Outside of a few questionable map designs (which was only an issue at launch because IW is constantly releasing free new maps) the game is very fun. Despite what people say, each weapon category has a few very good guns in them to cater to any playstyle. Gunfight is so fun too, that is a truly great addition. Activision/COD gets shit on a lot for their DLC practices, which has been completely deserved. But all of the REAL non cosmetic content is available for free in this game. Battlefield 5 tried to cater to the wrong people and they fucking failed for it. I'm happy to see COD putting out a new game that caters to people that love COD and retaking their spot as king of FPS. It's really cool to see a COD game be somehow one of the most fresh modern shooters out, one of the most beautiful games of the year(COD would always get clowned on for looking like ass cheeks in comparison to Battlefeild), with the least egregious DLC practices out of mainstream shooters (and somehow less egregious then MK11 which is a fucking fighting game lmao), and get people excited again. Throw on the return of a really good campaign mode which is definitely worth a playthrough, and you have one of the only games out that is actually worth 60 bucks. I feel like such a cuck giving NRS 100 bucks. Im super excited to see what Treyarch does with the new direction of the series.

MKF30

Yeah it's just OKAY, they didnt take any chances they expanded what was already good (nemesissystem) andthat's it. They had a capture type of game mode but its wasnt replay able for some reason just a bunch of missed opportunities all around.
Also a real weird trek to true end game and end game content which had to do with microtransactions.
Oh wow I see, that's interesting. Yeah mcs sadly are in most games now seems to be the norm it's just a question of which companies do it worse than others.

GTA 5 isnt my cup of tea but for launching in 2013 on the ps3 and 360, there is no denying it as one of the most technically impressive games ever made. I also love the Arkham games though but my favorite of all time is either Witcher 3, Uncharted 4 or 2, Halo 1-3, Bioshock Infinite, or Red Dead 2, just depends on the day you ask me. Hell even throw in Arkham City, Arkham Knight, The Last of Us, and Black Ops 2.

COD honestly gets a bad wrap more than it deserves imo. Black Ops 2 was the last great one imo though, but COD as a whole is certainly no worse than any popular shooter. People say MW 2019 is old school which I dont really agree with. Its it's own thing in a good way. I think Infinity Ward did a great job on it. Outside of a few questionable map designs (which was only an issue at launch because IW is constantly releasing free new maps) the game is very fun. Despite what people say, each weapon category has a few very good guns in them to cater to any playstyle. Gunfight is so fun too, that is a truly great addition. Activision/COD gets shit on a lot for their DLC practices, which has been completely deserved. But all of the REAL non cosmetic content is available for free in this game. Battlefield 5 tried to cater to the wrong people and they fucking failed for it. I'm happy to see COD putting out a new game that caters to people that love COD and retaking their spot as king of FPS. It's really cool to see a COD game be somehow one of the most fresh modern shooters out, one of the most beautiful games of the year(COD would always get clowned on for looking like ass cheeks in comparison to Battlefeild), with the least egregious DLC practices out of mainstream shooters (and somehow less egregious then MK11 which is a fucking fighting game lmao), and get people excited again. Throw on the return of a really good campaign mode which is definitely worth a playthrough, and you have one of the only games out that is actually worth 60 bucks. I feel like such a cuck giving NRS 100 bucks. Im super excited to see what Treyarch does with the new direction of the series.
Yeah I mean I respect what gta has done but some.folks put it on this pedestal like it's the best game ever in the history of man, I mean it's good to me just nothing groundbreaking. I'd say I'm more impressed with the support for the game lasting this long but there are other games like that such as wow that lasted God knows how long with their expansions. I know that's pc and a just stating games I general that last a while. Red dead is more or less a western gta but similar concept, I could not get into that game anymore than gta. I just need a game that makes my mind think constantly or I'll fall asleep. I guess this is why i prefer something of constant action for my brain like fg, racers, puzzlers, FPS etc.

I'm a bit old lol so my favs are from a little older but I do love alot of newer games from the past 2 decades too. I just hated how cod changed for a while there, but I def want to try the new one from what I'm hearing.

Halo seems to have disappeared I remember when thstbgame generated so much hype. The new doom looks cool but I just hope they make another quake, big quake fan not so much arena games but the classic ones q1,2 and 4.