What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 Officially Announced at the 2018 VGA

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
First impressions:
  • not a fan of Shao Khan returning, how many times has this guy been defeated already?! I would much rather have the Dragon King, or somebody new, as the main villain. Of course, we don't know yet what his role in the game is, but still...
He's a preorder character, which means he almost certainly has no role in the game at all. Compare Goro in MKX and Darkseid in Injustice 2. To date, the preorder character is an exciting bonus character with no role in the story.

Based on the trailer, the reasonable assumption is that the main villain is this new female character with the hourglass.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
experiencing the announcement of a new mk game is something special. the first time in 1993 and now 2018! the hype feeling and happiness stays the same no matter how many decades are in between!

to my fellow elder ones around here: gentlemen, OUR GAME IS BACK !!!!
Can't agree more. There is something special about a new Mortal Kombat game than no other franchise can deliver. I don't get excited about any other game series as I do about MK. I remember when MKDA got announced in early 2000's, I was soo hype for it. That was the most highly anticipated game of all time for me, and still is. The hype was similar for MK9, MKX, and now MK11.

My only dilemma now is whether to avoid spoilers or not. I did it for MKX, almost a year of not visiting TYM and other MK sites was unbelievably hard, but when i popped MKX in my PS4 and got that fresh and new MK experience, and had all these cool new things (such as Variations and new characters and so forth) to discover, it was totally worth it. I don't know if I can do it again though, I don't really want to miss out on the fun of sharing my joy at news about MK11 with everyone else here, but at the same time the prospect of learning (almost) everything about the game before it comes out, including spoilers about the story, and not really having anything new to discover once I start playing it, is just daunting.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
When I first watched the trailer I was shocked that NRS would have Scorpion get wasted so badly then the other fighter shows up and I was excited to see who it was but then it was just Scorpion again. It was still cool though

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Not to be that guy but... is anybody concerned about weapon stances?
I actually made a post about that in the MK sub-reddit:

One of the things I didn't like about the 3D era games, from MK4-MKA, is that every character was appointed with a weapon to wield. And a lot of those weapons just didn't fit the characters, imo.

There are already a good bunch who have weapons in their moveset - Kitana with her fans, Mileena with her sais, Jade with her staff, Scorpion with his swords, Kenshi with his katana, Takeda with his whips, etc. Those characters should of course keep their weapons as part of their natural moveset.

However, then characters like Johnny Cage, Sonya, Ermac, Reptile, Liu Kang, etc, who don't have weapons naturally as part of their moveset, I personally don't think they should get a weapon shoved into their hands JUST to have a weapon. I'd rather the NRS team would be more creative with their movesets than just going "Here, Sonya, here's a stick!".

From what I understand of the description of the gameplay we've gotten so far, we will be able to customise the characters' movesets in different ways and then save them as Variations, instead of them being pre-made as in MKX. And I find that a lot more appealing than the characters getting a "Weapon Variation/Style" each, like they did in the 3D era games.

DelSchokoladenSaft

Can of Corn Main
I actually made a post about that in the MK sub-reddit:

One of the things I didn't like about the 3D era games, from MK4-MKA, is that every character was appointed with a weapon to wield. And a lot of those weapons just didn't fit the characters, imo.

There are already a good bunch who have weapons in their moveset - Kitana with her fans, Mileena with her sais, Jade with her staff, Scorpion with his swords, Kenshi with his katana, Takeda with his whips, etc. Those characters should of course keep their weapons as part of their natural moveset.

However, then characters like Johnny Cage, Sonya, Ermac, Reptile, Liu Kang, etc, who don't have weapons naturally as part of their moveset, I personally don't think they should get a weapon shoved into their hands JUST to have a weapon. I'd rather the NRS team would be more creative with their movesets than just going "Here, Sonya, here's a stick!".

From what I understand of the description of the gameplay we've gotten so far, we will be able to customise the characters' movesets in different ways and then save them as Variations, instead of them being pre-made as in MKX. And I find that a lot more appealing than the characters getting a "Weapon Variation/Style" each, like they did in the 3D era games.
I like this stance. That was something that I didn't like about the 3d mks. Some characters had an excellent weapon( BRC with his bo, Tanya with her tonfas, and Cyrax, oddly enough, with his lightsaber). Then Noob Saibot having the Troll Hammer is self explanatory. Then some didn't fit at all, as you say (Jax with...tonfas, Reptile with kirehashi, and Ermac with an Axe, just an Axe he picked up in front of an armory). Then the 'styles' were coped to other characters, further to make every weapon feel the same.
I think the system will allow for someone to give swords if they want, kinda like a point system similar to a first person shooter with perks. Scorpion having swords could take a good amount of points to use, offering a small amount of other movesets. I don't know, I just want to see some action from this game.

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
I'm gonna need to buy this twice... for ps4 AND switch!
I'm gonna need to buy this twice as well. Ultimate Edition (or whatever they are calling it) at GameStop for all the collectibles and memorabilia. And digital standard edition so I can play exactly at 9pm PST without needing to wait in line or drive home and for some reason download it when it's already on a disc.

thesacrifist

Too old for this
Did anyone catch the fresh fighting styles in the trailer of Raiden and Scorpion? Some of the moves almost looked real like you'd find in MMA (knees, punches, stances). Hoping this means all-new animations and normals for all characters like they basically did from MK9 to MKX

Edit: Does Raiden and Scorpion have the moves and the same animations they do in the first and last screenshot from MK11 in MKX? Should be a good indicator for anyone with in-depth knowledge of the animations from MKX

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
This isn’t a concern, per se, but an observation. Although the game summaries state that they are using a “new graphics engine”, the screenshots look exactly like Injustice 2 with an MK coat of paint.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
This isn’t a concern, per se, but an observation. Although the game summaries state that they are using a “new graphics engine”, the screenshots look exactly like Injustice 2 with an MK coat of paint.
That’s true, but the early versions of Injustice 2 totally looked like shit, just comparing the Aquaman or Supergirl we ended up with and the ones that were first shown, I think the game will end up looking a lot nicer.

aj1701

Noob
It's a new graphics engine for MK.