What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 and Grinding

So few days ago it was revealed that MK11 will have microtransactions, which basically means that you will be able to buy a virtual currency in the game with real money to be able to instantly unlock all cosmetic items like outfits and gear.
They are saying that you don't have to pay for anything in the game and that everything is obtainable by playing the game. The question is: how grindy will MK11 be.

Many ppl are worried about this part. Knowing that it's WB game and how things worked in the past for their previous games like Shadow of War, which was really grindy game that got very big backlash for forcing players to use real money to be able to level up faster and finish the game. Developers even removed mecrotransactions (currency) and endgame grind with a patch because of the backlash and all the hate the game was getting from players and media. Many players think that Injustice 2 was also very, very grindy game and to be able to get one gear set for one character you had to play a lot and pray to RNG gods. Sadly it looks like WB learned nothing from this, and they continue to include microtransactions in their games and MK11 is next.

My question is, are you worried about this? What do you think about MK game having microtransactions and option to buy easy fatalities or cosmetics with real money? Do you think that this will affect how you get everything by just playing the game? Are you ready to grind to be able to get everything that you want, or you consider supporting this and paying real money?
You seem to only be focusing on the sole fact there will be micro transactions- they did say it was only for kosmetic items, and kosmetic items don't vary stats at all

Yea you have to pay for different kharacters, but actual skill wont be affected by microtransactions so you shouldn't worry

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I am worried because I am more of a casual player who actually enjoys having the alternate colors. Those crystals in injustice 2 were hard to get, and I hate having to spend money for something that is already in the game and locked behind a paywall.

Just my two cents.
They eventually started giving out crystals pretty regularly as rewards in multiverse events, but unfortunately that was after I’d already moved on...

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Rumor has it there are some people who still haven't gotten Cat Call.

Seriously though that s* was kind of ridiculous. I am all for grinding a bit, and I am ok with skipping it with money as long as it is reasonably priced. I guess my point is I am ok with it but it shouldn't purposely be so grindy that you feel like you have no choice but to pay money for it, that's a s*** practice.
Robin is my main, never got the staff of greyson.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
So few days ago it was revealed that MK11 will have microtransactions, which basically means that you will be able to buy a virtual currency in the game with real money to be able to instantly unlock all cosmetic items like outfits and gear.
They are saying that you don't have to pay for anything in the game and that everything is obtainable by playing the game. The question is: how grindy will MK11 be.

Many ppl are worried about this part. Knowing that it's WB game and how things worked in the past for their previous games like Shadow of War, which was really grindy game that got very big backlash for forcing players to use real money to be able to level up faster and finish the game. Developers even removed mecrotransactions (currency) and endgame grind with a patch because of the backlash and all the hate the game was getting from players and media. Many players think that Injustice 2 was also very, very grindy game and to be able to get one gear set for one character you had to play a lot and pray to RNG gods. Sadly it looks like WB learned nothing from this, and they continue to include microtransactions in their games and MK11 is next.

My question is, are you worried about this? What do you think about MK game having microtransactions and option to buy easy fatalities or cosmetics with real money? Do you think that this will affect how you get everything by just playing the game? Are you ready to grind to be able to get everything that you want, or you consider supporting this and paying real money?
Similar to Injustice 2 imo.
Way I see it, if you really want a look you can spend that cash. Otherwise patience pays off.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Robin is my main, never got the staff of greyson.
That sucks dude lol I wasn't too invested in Injustice but I did manage to cheese out a way to get Cat Call, I can't remember how but there was some little loophole where you get could guaranteed abilities and try over and over until you got what you wanted or something lol I did it just because it was the only thing I needed for the platinum :D

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
That sucks dude lol I wasn't too invested in Injustice but I did manage to cheese out a way to get Cat Call, I can't remember how but there was some little loophole where you get could guaranteed abilities and try over and over until you got what you wanted or something lol I did it just because it was the only thing I needed for the platinum :D
Wish I had known about that! Oh well all of that is behind us now, MK11 is our bright and shinny future.

RothVI

d2 Spammer
I don't really care for cosmetics too much; NRS did really well with the default designs and most of the "shaders" are garbage anyways. My only hope is that all cosmetics are actually unlockable, unlike some of the shaders in Injustice 2.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
There is nothing to worry about. He said you will earn the crystals by playing the game as well. So you will even get to pick what you want from the store without paying extra. I have never bought an EZ fatality but they are for sale and I had a ton of them.

I would rather this than costume packs honestly. I’m going to be playing the game anyways so it’s not a big deal. Fighting games in general are Grindy lol.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Wish I had known about that! Oh well all of that is behind us now, MK11 is our bright and shinny future.
Yeah it had to do with one of those multiverse events with a guranteed ability and if you did like a back up restore before you did it, then did the event, didn't get what you wanted, then re downloaded the file you restored you could try over and over again lol it was a while ago though and they probably patched it.

Anyway yeah though, I am super excited for MK11! I hope this go around I can play and level up with a lot of you guys here when the game comes out...when MKX came out I was such a noob when it came to trying to play these games seriously I was too embarrassed to try to really reach out to anybody on the site outside of just posting here haha

If you are on PS4 id love to play with you or anyone else here that is interested in grinding out the game and leveling each other up! I am not great at NRS games but im hoping my KI and SFV experience will help be fair a little better than I did in MKX/I2 XD

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
The problem likely lies in the towers themselves. Like in MKX where you had to wait weeks, sometimes months before your character's tower would show up so you could unlock their Kard decals.

Or you could pony up that money now and unlock this dope shit immediately
They specifically said that every characters tower is always up in MK11.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I'd need to know how the krypt works before I make judgement. For all we know, it could be a choice of a shader, costume, brutality, intro/win pose, per visit and you keep coming back to get what you missed before. I don't remember hearing anything about duplicates so I'm hoping this is the case.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I'd need to know how the krypt works before I make judgement. For all we know, it could be a choice of a shader, costume, brutality, intro/win pose, per visit and you keep coming back to get what you missed before. I don't remember hearing anything about duplicates so I'm hoping this is the case.
Now that you're talking about the Krypt, I expect we learn more about that tomorrow. It's supposed to be way bigger and better than previous encarnations so...

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
I really don't think duplicate items will be a thing in this game (thank fucking god). Every character has their skins/gear/animations/etc. all sorted out nicely on their kustomize screens i.e 4/4 intros, 20/20 masks, etc. so you always know exactly how many you have and how many you're missing.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
They are saying that you don't have to pay for anything in the game and that everything is obtainable by playing the game.
As long as it's reasonably obtainable I'll have no issue with it. Ultimately I think it's a good thing some can pay to unlock stuff that doesn't give anyone a fighting advantage.

The question is: how grindy will MK11 be.

Many ppl are worried about this part. Knowing that it's WB game and how things worked in the past for their previous games like Shadow of War, which was really grindy game that got very big backlash for forcing players to use real money to be able to level up faster and finish the game.
Haven't played that game but it sounds like that game had money allow progression unlike what MK11's Micro transactions are told to be. They specifically said it won't give any player an advantage in game but only give players cosmetics and things that don't effect stats, moves or competitive play. I'd be pissed if MK became a wallet warrior fighter but I have no reason to think that will happen.

Developers even removed mecrotransactions (currency) and endgame grind with a patch because of the backlash and all the hate the game was getting from players and media.
That is horrible for that game but could show promise for MK11 since they have been through this before and fully understand how not to mess things up due to greed. This also shows they care what thier community thinks about game impact from monetary transactions.

Many players think that Injustice 2 was also very, very grindy game and to be able to get one gear set for one character you had to play a lot and pray to RNG gods. Sadly it looks like WB learned nothing from this, and they continue to include microtransactions in their games and MK11 is next.
Where did you get the idea that they learned nothing from this? I heard from many that they changed how we get stuff in MK11 so there is no loot boxes or gamble system. Apparently we can get cosmetics from Character Towers, Towers of Time, Krypt guided by the one and only Shang Tsung Carry Tagawa and even classic towers.

As long as it truly doesn't effect gameplay and it doesn't become too grindy I'm all for it. Not everyone has time to grind everything like most of us will. I myself will be getting everything without money from Krypt and Towers the old MK way, Earning them and discovery. But I hold no judgement to anyone who does buy everything in the Krypt. If it becomes a grind fest then I'll probably unlock some just to get that awesome skin/costumes. I'm sure there will be characters I'm not as familiar with that I'll want thier skin for myself and others.

LawAbidingCitizen

I mean in that case you couldn't even pay for it lol. Since Injustice 2 crystals couldn't be used to buy boxes, Cat Call and by extent all other gear moves were pure RNG only.
What is RNG, I didn't play Injustice only MKs. Is it something to do with the loot system or purchases?

LawAbidingCitizen

Sorry, it's 15th here already lol.

On April 16th there's an Xbox event where MK11 is expected to appear and show anything new. Idk what.

People are expecting Frost, Shao Kahn, the Krypt, Kombat Pack characters, extra modes... it could be anything... or nothing! lol
Ok so the 16th is the Xbox thing where HoneyBee and SonicFox play the game vs WWE stars live? I'm so hyped to see more of anything. DLC or Modes or Story mode glimpses or anything I can't take this stagnant nothing anymore.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Ok so the 16th is the Xbox thing where HoneyBee and SonicFox play the game vs WWE stars live? I'm so hyped to see more of anything. DLC or Modes or Story mode glimpses or anything I can't take this stagnant nothing anymore.
I think the thing with HoneyBee and SonicFox is hosted by IGN, but I could be wrong!

Here is where the PC platform becomes that much more relevant: While console users are stuck with pumping copious hours of their finite lives into unlocking content, PC users can circumvent such blatant pay-to-access incentives by using the ingenuity of the human brain. In Injustice 2, had there not been [PC] work-arounds for the insane RNG system policing its "gear" and locked abilities, I would never have experienced even a fraction of the associated / locked content.

The saving grace (for console users) being, MK11's abilities are all unlocked form the start -- any grinding will only be for cosmetic accoutrements and throw-away content, like "icons" etc.. This is the biggest positive that I have taken from the Injustice 2 to MK11 "¢ry$tal$" transition.

I did read something about some "battle passes"... But, I think (hope) they're just unconfirmed rumours.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
What is RNG, I didn't play Injustice only MKs. Is it something to do with the loot system or purchases?
The word RNG means random number generator. If you ever hear it in a video game context it just means something random. So to say you depend on a RNG in a game means that the result of anything affected by it will be random, i.e in Injustice 2 all the characters' gears and abilities were received completely at random for the vast majority of the time.

D

Deleted member 35141

When they first announced micro transactions I didnt care cause the amount that I played mkx and injustice2 I didnt need them.
This though is predatory, these are the definitions of loot boxes.