What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 and Grinding

Raider

Noob
So few days ago it was revealed that MK11 will have microtransactions, which basically means that you will be able to buy a virtual currency in the game with real money to be able to instantly unlock all cosmetic items like outfits and gear.
They are saying that you don't have to pay for anything in the game and that everything is obtainable by playing the game. The question is: how grindy will MK11 be.

Many ppl are worried about this part. Knowing that it's WB game and how things worked in the past for their previous games like Shadow of War, which was really grindy game that got very big backlash for forcing players to use real money to be able to level up faster and finish the game. Developers even removed mecrotransactions (currency) and endgame grind with a patch because of the backlash and all the hate the game was getting from players and media. Many players think that Injustice 2 was also very, very grindy game and to be able to get one gear set for one character you had to play a lot and pray to RNG gods. Sadly it looks like WB learned nothing from this, and they continue to include microtransactions in their games and MK11 is next.

My question is, are you worried about this? What do you think about MK game having microtransactions and option to buy easy fatalities or cosmetics with real money? Do you think that this will affect how you get everything by just playing the game? Are you ready to grind to be able to get everything that you want, or you consider supporting this and paying real money?

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
nope, no worries .... with time and patience .... I think it's possible to unlock anything in this game , so, maybe it's pointes to spend cash on these crystals time whatever bullshit they said will be in the game

JINNOCIDE

I only show up when a new game's around
I don't think this will happen but if it does I'm sure the community will eat NRS up

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
I can live without some characters (yeah, Cetrion), surely I can live without another dumb gear piece.
The best Liu Kang outfit is already in the game, so I’m not hell bent on collecting everything

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
My only worry is if the rewards you get for grinding are random... I hate that.

I want to grind for something particular and get that specific thing. It feels rewarding this way.
Grinding infinitely for a CHANCE of getting something just feels stupid.

Either way though, I'm 100% okay even it is really grindy because it's just cosmetics and I'm going to be playing the game a ton anyway. I actually like working hard for stuff.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
As long as the story mode doesn't pull an 'Anthem' and stop dead in its fucking tracks until I complete a random shopping list of death that I can 'speed up' with money, I'll survive having to grind for the gear. Most of us will probably be grinding hundreds of matches for MU knowledge anyway, so it'll come naturally. But it's been proven with flying colors that it's possible to fuck even that up, so while I'm giving NRS the benefit of the doubt here, I'm waiting to see what the grind is like for myself before coming to a real conclusion.

I just get nervous when devs try to justify microtransactions with 'you can earn everything in game' because if I were able to earn loot at a tolerable pace, then that'd directly contradict with the MXTs that the publisher WANTS you to sink money in so that it can keep investors happy, so they wanna make things just grindy enough to really test your patience. It's a conflict of interests, and if it were any other game or genre, I'd be way more upset. Idk, hopefully it won't get in the way.

MK has the benefit of the doubt since having tons of unlockables starting with MKDA, long before microtransactions were a thing. It's a part of the game I and many MK fans enjoy. As long as you get in-game currency at a decent rate and unlocks are priced with in-game currency reasonably, then there are no problems. If it feels impossible to unlock everything by playing the game then we have problems.

Last edited:

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I'll wait to make this judgement call until the game is released, as we can then actually know how much grinding there is to unlock everything. If it's as bad as SFV, then there's reasons to complain.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
It will be much less “grindy” than Injustice 2 simply because the randomness is gone. They’ve already stated that you won’t just get random drops for random characters. There will be character-specific towers for gear and such, and you always know what you are working toward.

That’s how I’ve understood it from the interviews in December/January.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
It all depends on how hard it is to get stuff. Didn't they reduce the rate at which you would get coins in the day one patch of MKX? And there wasn't gear to grind for there. It's not a good precedent.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
The way I see it is those microtransactions will serve two kinds of people, those who are impatient and streamers who are paid to play the games anyways so the money they put in a game, they'll get back like an investment.

IF you can unlock everything in game without buying this currency, then I am 100% okay with it.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
The problem likely lies in the towers themselves. Like in MKX where you had to wait weeks, sometimes months before your character's tower would show up so you could unlock their Kard decals.

Or you could pony up that money now and unlock this dope shit immediately

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
I don't have a problem with this. Getting the gears you wanted in Injustice 2 was whack because of the loot boxes and RNG but since that shit doesn't exist here it should be better by default. Not to mention I'm going to be living and breathing this game for a long while so I think I should have enough time to unlock everything I want.

As long as the story mode doesn't pull an 'Anthem' and stop dead in its fucking tracks until I complete a random shopping list of death that I can 'speed up' with money, I'll survive having to grind for the gear. Most of us will probably be grinding hundreds of matches for MU knowledge anyway, so it'll come naturally. But it's been proven with flying colors that it's possible to fuck even that up, so while I'm giving NRS the benefit of the doubt here, I'm waiting to see what the grind is like for myself before coming to a real conclusion.
Dude, they would have to try really hard to be just as bad or worse than that garbage Anthem lol.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Many players think that Injustice 2 was also very, very grindy game and to be able to get one gear set for one character you had to play a lot and pray to RNG gods.
Rumor has it there are some people who still haven't gotten Cat Call.

Seriously though that s* was kind of ridiculous. I am all for grinding a bit, and I am ok with skipping it with money as long as it is reasonably priced. I guess my point is I am ok with it but it shouldn't purposely be so grindy that you feel like you have no choice but to pay money for it, that's a s*** practice.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Rumor has it there are some people who still haven't gotten Cat Call.

Seriously though that s* was kind of ridiculous. I am all for grinding a bit, and I am ok with skipping it with money as long as it is reasonably priced. I guess my point is I am ok with it but it shouldn't purposely be so grindy that you feel like you have no choice but to pay money for it, that's a s*** practice.
I mean in that case you couldn't even pay for it lol. Since Injustice 2 crystals couldn't be used to buy boxes, Cat Call and by extent all other gear moves were pure RNG only.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I mean in that case you couldn't even pay for it lol. Since Injustice 2 crystals couldn't be used to buy boxes, Cat Call and by extent all other gear moves were pure RNG only.
Yeah that was some shit. I got lucky and got Cat Call, but still never ended up getting the Staff of Grayson.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I am worried because I am more of a casual player who actually enjoys having the alternate colors. Those crystals in injustice 2 were hard to get, and I hate having to spend money for something that is already in the game and locked behind a paywall.

Just my two cents.