What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 Post-Release General Discussion Thread

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Sareena's demon form throw is obviously catwoman. I could see Nitara borrowing from Hawkgirl animations. Other than that, yeah, surprisingly not many reused assets (not obvious ones at least)
Yeah. I think that ideally it'd be awesome to give love to every single move, with completely new stuff.. But when your tournaround time is only 2 years per AAA game, that's extremely tight. Just about every studio that releases that fast is taking something from the previous game.

But now, since they had a longer development cycle for MK1, they could take their time and do more of what they probably wanted to do before, and didn't have time to do. So it makes sense

Does anyone else feel like the game is just wasting your time whenever you're not in the middle of a match? It takes forever to find people in matchmaking, you can't skip outros, not to mention how abysmal the XP gain is for Mastery. Like, speed things up, I just wanna get right back into it.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
One of my gripes with this game is the lack of wake up options.
Whereas before you could use an armored move, delay, roll back or roll forward....now you only have two options. Which means that some characters can essentially guarantee an advantage on wake up.

Case in point, Scorpion's DB2. Unless there is a way out of it and I dont know, but you essentially can't wake up armor because of the multi hits and the delay isnt long enough to whiff punish the move. So you are forced to take the chip (and with Cyrax it becomes insanely cheap). The pushback also makes it hard to punish.

Obviously this doesnt make Scorpion top tier or anything but the fact that all wake up options are nullified highlights how lack luster the options are. Like just give me a roll forward.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
If there's one thing I think NRS did perfectly it is balancing the "meta play". It's why I think it's their best FG (except the GOAT INJ1 of course). For example, anti-airs are rewarding, and can be AA off multiple options. Corner pressure is very strong but doesn't feel like the "corner of death" as badly as GGST or SF6. Neutral is much more of an "I outplayed you" by not only forcing pressure, but also ways to force whiff punishes or frame traps. You're pretty much getting from the game exactly what you put into it, which is rare to see in any FG this much. If they don't make another game for 4-5 years and keep adding into this one, I see no reason at all why it wouldn't last competitively the entire time. A lot of people asked for a lot of enhancements to the gameplay after MK11, and I feel they met and exceeded the expectations.

If there's anything I hope NRS is working on for the 1st patch, I really hope it's the online. I haven't played KL nearly as much as I'd like because the majority of connections are kinda bad, and it really isn't too fun to play a 120 ping WiFi Johnny/Cyrax who is emo raging at you on the mic the entire set even when they're the one winning. So I've played a lot more casual matchmaking looking for long sets against good players. Which in itself is harder to find because there are no lobbies. I tried KOTH once and never again, because there's no way to practice while you wait or fight someone while you wait, and when I finally got in for some reason it was MK9 levels of underwater online. Skip the balance, I can wait. Improve the netcode, matchmaking, and add lobbies, and I'll be content for a very long time.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Whereas before you could use an armored move, delay, roll back or roll forward....now you only have two options. Which means that some characters can essentially guarantee an advantage on wake up.

Case in point, Scorpion's DB2. Unless there is a way out of it and I dont know, but you essentially can't wake up armor because of the multi hits and the delay isnt long enough to whiff punish the move. So you are forced to take the chip (and with Cyrax it becomes insanely cheap). The pushback also makes it hard to punish.

Obviously this doesnt make Scorpion top tier or anything but the fact that all wake up options are nullified highlights how lack luster the options are. Like just give me a roll forward.
You can do a regular wakeup (like press nothing I mean to get up), delay wakeup, a regular wakeup special, an EX wakeup special, and/or a Kameo wakeup attack. Not saying these are great options (most of them aren’t that great), but it’s more than 2 WU options. Delay WU definitely messes a lot of setplay oki up. As far as Scorpion’s db2 on WU, you can WU flawless block to avoid the chip. In general there’s a lot of pressure that people aren’t flawless blocking. For instance Raiden’s Storm Cell (I believe that’s what it’s called). You can block the first hit and while still blocking, you actually can flawless block rather safely as long as you get the timing down. It take some practice to get the correct timing down for sure though.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?

I wish they just came back to the MK9 way of some specials just having invincibility on wakeup. Idk why Injustice got to keep that but Mortal Kombat didn't.

I wish they just came back to the MK9 way of some specials just having invincibility on wakeup. Idk why Injustice got to keep that but Mortal Kombat didn't.
Honestly I love Injustice but free invincible wakeups- many of which were safe, and some of those multihitting armor breakers- is the worst part about that series.

Pretty sure the jump cancel is a glitch where specials get counted as dial-ins after the launchers and there is a single frame before the jump where the character is in a grounded state

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
You can do a regular wakeup (like press nothing I mean to get up), delay wakeup, a regular wakeup special, an EX wakeup special, and/or a Kameo wakeup attack. Not saying these are great options (most of them aren’t that great), but it’s more than 2 WU options. Delay WU definitely messes a lot of setplay oki up. As far as Scorpion’s db2 on WU, you can WU flawless block to avoid the chip. In general there’s a lot of pressure that people aren’t flawless blocking. For instance Raiden’s Storm Cell (I believe that’s what it’s called). You can block the first hit and while still blocking, you actually can flawless block rather safely as long as you get the timing down. It take some practice to get the correct timing down for sure though.

I didnt count most WU options because, like you said they arent great (Like just getting up will seldom be done in front of your opponent so I didnt count it). But yea there is more than 2 but less than in MK11 which is my main point.
I just dont like the idea that my only option to deal with a move that negates all my wake up options is to time a flawless block to at least not get chipped. You essentially have a 2-frame window for a wakeup. That just doesnt sound like good design to me especially if they are marketing this to a wide audience.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I didnt count most WU options because, like you said they arent great (Like just getting up will seldom be done in front of your opponent so I didnt count it). But yea there is more than 2 but less than in MK11 which is my main point.
I just dont like the idea that my only option to deal with a move that negates all my wake up options is to time a flawless block to at least not get chipped. You essentially have a 2-frame window for a wakeup. That just doesnt sound like good design to me especially if they are marketing this to a wide audience.
Well the main point I was making is that a lot of that chip damage stuff can be flawless blocked and you can do it while already having had blocked the first hit, or first 2 hits, and so on. The same thing applies to Scorpions db2, I just tested it. You can block on WU, then Flawless Block the 2nd or 3rd hit, then for the rest you take no chip even when Cyrax is called. This is something not many people are doing, flawless blocking these crazy chip damage strings/specials and I think a lot don’t realize you can Flawless Block while blocking and don’t HAVE to FB the first hit.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
I'm not that much into US based events - is the NYCC already happening? Anyone knows when can we expect some news from WB/NRS?

Ed confirmed that they will show SOMETHING

FYI there was a large patch released for the Switch version a few days ago. I got to play it for a short time, and lots of improvements have been made:

• Visually the game has been improved. Hair has been improved on Li Mei and Shang Tsung, for example, Sub-Zero's wonky ice spear in his Slide has been stabilized, and Mileena has mandibles now. A lot of the character's having "bug eyes" seems to have been addressed, and I noted some facial animations in general now. For a mobile version of the game, it's looking a lot better than at launch.
  • The frame rate has been stabilized more. It's still not perfect and there are still dips, but it's a vast improvement. I can now do all my Mileena kombos, something that was not possible before.
  • The full first season of Invasions has been added. Not sure if they're extending the Season on Switch or not though.
  • Load times are still long.
Overall though, the patch is an excellent step in the right direction. I still wouldn't recommend the version at full price, but it's much, much more playable now.

@fr stack

Cheers @Juxtapose might ask santa for it for christmas !
If you do snag it, I'd be curious as to your thoughts. I'm hoping they improve performance (even if it means more visual cuts) even more as time goes on. Definitely not the way to play the game competitively, but the Switch version would be a fun pass time if you're regularly doing long commutes.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Well the main point I was making is that a lot of that chip damage stuff can be flawless blocked and you can do it while already having had blocked the first hit, or first 2 hits, and so on. The same thing applies to Scorpions db2, I just tested it. You can block on WU, then Flawless Block the 2nd or 3rd hit, then for the rest you take no chip even when Cyrax is called. This is something not many people are doing, flawless blocking these crazy chip damage strings/specials and I think a lot don’t realize you can Flawless Block while blocking and don’t HAVE to FB the first hit.
I get what you mean, you can flawless block the 1st, 2nd or even 3rd hit on WU. And Im gonna have no choice but to lab it until I get it down.

I just find that the roll added more variety/excitement to the play. Your risk was high if you didnt read the roll and kept pressuring (i.e. you got punished). If you made the correct read, you get a reward in the form of a grab. There was a mind game there. Now, the options in such a situation are restricted for both players. The Scorpion player doesnt need to factor in this possibility so he can jus play DB2+Cyrax and you have no other option than to FB to gain some advantage. This is IMHO of course. Im aware some people were annoyed that MK11 had too many WU options.

subzert

Frozen Soul
Anyone knows what they showed at NYCC today?

Edit: It is a short Omni-man trailer.

Last edited:

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
November 3 is the release date of the new season of Invincible. Are we getting some Omni-man gameplay perhaps :D

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I’ve never seen the show but was still blown away. I can’t wait to try him out.
Drop everything and go watch it now. That big project for work can wait, your mother's bday can wait. Life can wait. Go watch it.
Im overhyping just a tad

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower

oh hi

EDIT: AHHHH HE LOOKS SO SICK AND I LOVE THE CALLBACKS TO THE SHOW AHHHHHH
Got a quick look at kameo Tremor. He's packing a summon assist that launches(his old db+2U. Maybe he also has db+2D as an overhead launcher), and an ambush anti-air/combo extender ala Scorpion fire breath. Maybe he also has a ground pound, or his Aftershock up rock.