What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 Post-Release General Discussion Thread

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
A new era has begun! And with it, a new thread for general discussion of the game. Enjoy everyone :cool:

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
Alright just finished story, and gotta say. I enjoyed it overall. I wish it was much more its own thing like Lord Boon was letting on. But I thoroughly enjoyed that final chapter, was grinning though that whole time.

Time to clear all those tutorials and actually start playing the game

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
I heard there’s another voice announcer you can get that announcers the fights.

do we just beat story mode for that or was it done another way?

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I just got to the baraka chapter and am enjoying the story immensely. Is the ending that bad? (Please dont spoil it, some vague assessments would be enough here)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I just got to the baraka chapter and am enjoying the story immensely. Is the ending that bad? (Please dont spoil it, some vague assessments would be enough here)
I’d stay off here and/or social media until you finish it if you don’t want to get it spoiled

Also, Just experience it for yourself and come to your own conclusions. I’ve always found that’s the best way to experience any movie, game or show. Preconceived notions and expectations almost always ruin those things for me.

so, i havent read any "this character sucks" posts yet. could NRS have done it this time and delivered at least decent balancing at launch?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
It usually takes a few days or weeks for people to know what's good and bad. You need to figure out:
  • What all the character's best tools are against the cast
  • Along with that, how easy it is to open people up
  • What's actually legit and what can be interrupted/armored out of
  • What's really reactable in practice and what's not, how people adapt to your character's tools
  • Where optimal damage comes from and how easy/difficult it is to access in certain situations
  • etc.
Then in this game, you have the addition of all the different Kameos. And a lot of characters with some depth to their designs (stances, unusual mechanics, moves with modifiers, etc). So it'll take people some time to sort things out. But no game is totally balanced at launch, so once they do, you always hear opinions about what's too good or too weak. It's just a normal part of fighting games.

Is the game tied to online Drm from Warner Bros? For example, if I complete the story, unlock Havik, purchase Shang tsung, then go offline - will both characters still be accessible or do you have to be connected at all times? Is it a one time auth?

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
For those playing Invasions, have you guys been upgrading your talismans? I find myself not upgrading it at all because every few matches I get a new, better talisman so it seems like a waste to use up resources on one that's going to be quickly outdated.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
They had to build on a new engine for this game (it's based on UE4 instead of the previous engine), so they're essentially starting over in a lot of ways. It comes down to them rushing the gameplay vs. having less customization options in the first UE4 game, I'd definitely prefer that they focus on gameplay depth. They can always build on this and keep adding, but a game with half-baked meta suffers for the entire run.

I'm guessing this is also why the Pin Move feature isn't in practice mode yet, etc.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
For those playing Invasions, have you guys been upgrading your talismans? I find myself not upgrading it at all because every few matches I get a new, better talisman so it seems like a waste to use up resources on one that's going to be quickly outdated.
I do upgrade, but weirdly a lot of the upgrade components don’t work on many of the Talismans.
For example, the healing components

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I'm trying everyone and so far, is more of who has the best team sinergy overall.

I also want to see if down the line, specific kameos switches can be a good counter pick to other teams, but i have to unlock all other kameos first.

So far i'm Enjoying Scorpion and Li Mei, i enjoyed Ashrah as well, and will definitely try out Smoke, as he feels like the MK9 Kabal of this game.