What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 Official Announcement Trailer

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
This makes me even less hopeful for pc crossplay. It seems they havent figured it out for console crossplay just yet, but I'm just guessing.
We have the keep the faith alive..

It should be noted that we were left out to mk11 cross play at the end of its life..

I’m hoping when they announce news a solid move would be to let us know what’s happening with the pc version

Onryoki

We all die alone. So love yourself before you go.
Maybe Kronika exists. There hasn't been a single MK boss who did not become playable in the following games. Goro and Shang Tsung after Mk1. SHao Kahn after MK2. Shinnok was playable in both MK4 and MKX. Onaga after Deception.
Sorry for the double post, but I doubt she exists. MK11 ended with her dying and being sucked up into the hour glass, fixing what was broken. I think Kronika is the hourglass now, with the hourglass being restored and time being rewinded and altered I just find it hard to believe she’s alive in this new TL along with Geras.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Or maybe he got hold of an insider who got that part right and everything else was bullshit or things that 'leaker' took out of his own head. I dunno.
That seems the most plausible. Spend enough time hunting down leaks you can probably make a decent educated guess simply by pulling the common denominators from everyone else's leaks, and then just freestyle the rest.

I know it's early days in the promotional cycle so this may all change, and I also know this is a really silly aesthetic thing to be enamored with... but I love how light everything is. Sunsets, blue skies, green Asian vistas, the white framing on the official site.

After the sheer death metal gloominess of MKX and my god, all the dismal black-void menu screens of MK11, I'm thoroughly loving seeing that Shaw Brothers Hong Kong cinematic beauty return to the franchise again. It's giving me these lovely vibes:

View attachment 19013
That was my first thought too. Judging by the look of the trailer, it makes you wonder if they're going back to traditional martial arts rather than the whole multiverse invasion stuff they've been doing.

This is probably an unpopular opinion from me, but instead of battling for humanity/the world, I would love it if this new story just simply focus on different clans and stables just battling it out, making unexpected allies and watch how all the drama unfolds. Kind of similar to how game of thrones/house of dragon does. I think it would open up interesting stories. I know it's a bold move and probably wishful thinking at this point, but it's just a thought I had to give the game a refreshing take.

The only downside is there's a few of my requested guest characters(like Ash) that might feel out of place lol

Last edited:

Onryoki

We all die alone. So love yourself before you go.
That was my first thought too. Judging by the look of the trailer, it makes you wonder if they're going back to traditional martial arts rather than the whole multiverse invasion stuff they've been doing.

This is probably an unpopular opinion from me, but instead of battling for humanity/the world, I would love it if this new story just simply focus on different clans and stables just battling it out, making unexpected allies and watch how all the drama unfolds. Kind of similar to how game of thrones/house of dragon does. I think it would open up interesting stories. I know it's a bold move and probably wishful thinking at this point, but it's just a thought I had to give the game a refreshing take.
I don’t think guest characters should be taken that seriously since they’re not really canon and just serve the purpose of bringing in more people to be interested in the game. Like Terminator and Rambo for example.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Update: pc version of mk1 will NOT be handled by NRS according to Offical site faq:

“QLOC is developing the Steam and Epic Games Store versions of the game. Shiver Entertainment and Saber Interactive are developing the Nintendo Switch version of the game.”

Afumba

Noob
I too am worried about the Kameos. Its a good thing for unpopular characters in order to give them a chance to garner some popularity. This might give them a better shot at being playable in the future. But for popular and classic characters its really bad in my opinion. For example if Ermac ends up being such a character i will immediately lower my opinion for the game and set the game to wait n see instead of insta buy. Him being Kameo is a much heftier slap in the face then if he isnt in the game.

For the mechanic itself... its wait n see. Hope its more than something like MK9 tag assists. That could be sad.

Visiually i liked what i saw. Not a fan of God Liu Kang, but that is just a personal preference. Liu himself looked great. So did Sub and Scorp. Glad that they seem to be on the same side from the get go. Hope the same is true for Kitana and Mileena and stays that way. Nothing to say about Raiden and Lao, they where Raiden and Lao. Shangs entrance was awesome.

So i am definitely hyped for the game and more infos but i am also worried about some things which is as reasonable and warranted as being overly hyped, especially given NRSs track record.

Afumba

Noob
Also... i am fine with pre order beta but pre order early access only for higher tier versions is as scummy as it gets. Especially since its tied to a lootbox season pass. Scummy might even be an understatement.

Last edited:

KCJ506

Noob
I'm hoping this time we can get at least 3 post trilogy era characters that haven't been playable since Armageddon to make the cut. Havik, Reiko and Sareena would be my choices.

And when it comes to the original 7 characters, I think Kano should sit this one out. It wouldn't be the first time. Back when MK2 came out, nobody batted an eye when he and Sonya got cut. Unlike the controversy Midway got for leaving Scorpion out of the original MK3. If Kano does get in, then this will convince me that they're putting him in just for the sake of having all of the original 7.

mattteo

Noob
I'm hoping this time we can get at least 3 post trilogy era characters that haven't been playable since Armageddon to make the cut.

If we don't get at least 10-12 I am quitting the franchise. I mean...it's already been 16 years since 2007. If they want to go only the SF route, they can have their own fanbase, I don't want that. There are so many nice people online who like the 3D era and have been extremely patient and nice, didn't even curse the developers or make so much pressure as Mileena fans.

Art Lean

Noob
Sorry for the double post, but I doubt she exists. MK11 ended with her dying and being sucked up into the hour glass, fixing what was broken. I think Kronika is the hourglass now, with the hourglass being restored and time being rewinded and altered I just find it hard to believe she’s alive in this new TL along with Geras.
I hope we can get an announcer pack of her again though, she's been my MK11 announcer since the moment I unlocked her and it was such an amazing breath of fresh air after all these years of Shao Kahn and Quan Chi styled announcers.

Main thoughts so far-

Very pretty, as always.

Wonder what the gameplay is like. Hope we see some soon.

Please keep brutalities. As crazy as the new fatalities are, I'm hoping for some quick in match stuff, and I think it's one of the best concepts.

Kano/Sonja only MK 1 cast not confirmed at this point? (I guess reptile/goro as well now that I think about it).

Honestly it's a good enough trailer there's not much to say other than "please show me the gameplay".

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Also... i am fine with pre order beta but pre order early access is as scummy as it gets. Especially since its tied to a lootbox season pass. Scummy might even be an understatement.
There isn’t pre-order early access. You get access to the beta via pre-order, and if you get the premium version, you get the game a week in advance aka early access. Pretty sure this will be the industry norm going forward ($10-$20 extra for a week of early access + other perks)