What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 Official Announcement Trailer

My own thoughts and impressions:

The trailer was excellent. Fire God Liu Kang's ending is canon from "Aftermath," which is not surprising.

Characters seen so far are excellent, all staple classics, including my personal favourites, and not a 3D era character in-site.

The concept/setting seems interesting.

The game is mostly current gen only, with a Switch version (an actual port or streaming, I'm not sure). Not sure if it's Unreal Engine 5, but it looks great.

Overall, I'm excited. I'll likely be getting the Xbox Series X version, so no online multiplayer for me, sadly, but even Single Player-wise I'm expecting a good show.

I'm curious about how the new gameplay will work.

Q: What platforms will Mortal Kombat 1 be available on?
A: Mortal Kombat 1 will be available for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC.

This rules out Unreal 5....
No, the Switch version might be streamed. If it's not, then it's ruled out.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
KAMEO FIGHTERS
Choose from a unique roster of Kameo fighting partners to assist you in bat

I think this is very possible.. but it may just mean in the other game modes.... like we had "assists" in MK11 in some of those towers.
On the FAQ it specifically says the DLC includes five "Kameo Fighters", which makes me think assists. But, we'll wait and see

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
MK Website almost flat out confirms ASSISTS will be the gimmick this time around holy shit
Q: What are Kameo Fighters and how do they work in Mortal Kombat 1?
A: Kameo Fighters are a unique roster of partner characters to assist during matches, creating expanded gameplay possibilities for players. These characters are chosen separately from the main roster of fighters.

Ok... yeah... assists are in...

Jynks

Q: Which characters will be available in Mortal Kombat 1?
A: Mortal Kombat 1 will feature reimagined fighters like they’ve never been seen before, including Liu Kang, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Kung Lao, Kitana, Mileena, Shang Tsung, Johnny Cage, and many others.

JINNOCIDE

I only show up when a new game's around
The Kombat Pack will feature a Johnny Cage character skin with the likeness of famed actor and martial artist, Jean-Claude Van Damme (available at launch), early access to six new playable characters (available post-launch), and five new Kameo Fighters (available post-launch).

Unlockable characters konfirmed?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
I'm dumb is this clearly about the Kombat Pack

Last edited:

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Things confirmed in the FAQ

-current gen only (There's a Switch version but it seems it's a port done by another studio so idk if that changes anything.)
-players who purchase the premium or kollector's editions will get Early Access beginning September 14th
-The Premium Edition comes with Kombat Pack, early access, & 1,250 Dragon Krystals
-The Kombat Pack contains Johnny Cage skin with Jean-Claude Van Damme's likeness, early access to 6 new playable characters & 5 new kameo fighters

Jynks

As someone who's only played MK and KI, how do assists generally work?
Kind of like Tag Team.. but you can never directly control them. Different assists combo with different moves of your actual fighter, sometimes with different assists for different fighters. In Capcom vs Marvel 2 there are assists, but in that game you can also swap to them.. so I expect it is be basically like that or dragon ball, but you never fully control the other assist characters.

To put it in MK terms... the assist will give each character 3 extra special moves that can swap in and out at will by swapping the 3 assist characters. So in a way it is like a new version of the variation system.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Someone please explain how the assists work? Is it like mk9 tag team and mk11 assists?

Also, love the costumes for mileena and kitana. Hype trailer!

Jynks

To pre-order on Ps5.. do you need to buy from the online store? Or can you get a disc?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Might actually have to play and get interested in the story mode this time. This looks amazing. Can’t wait to see some gameplay!

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Someone please explain how the assists work? Is it like mk9 tag team and mk11 assists?

Also, love the costumes for mileena and kitana. Hype trailer!
It seems more in line with MK11 assists. But I imagine with it being a core mechanic now, then it could be revamped / enhanced. I don't think it's tag team though.