What's new

Mortal Kombat – Official Restricted Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I want to watch this, But I dont. I won't but I really want to. But I will refrain to do so. but fuck I really want to........WHERE ARE YOU APRIL 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it's not heavy spoiler, basically Uncadeggamez just described a very beggining scene of the movie, involving Scorpion , that everyone just figured out, by the trailers , what already is gonna happen ...... very predictable, hehe ..... if you played MK9 story mode, this scene is pratically there, but, updated for this movie, ha ! :p

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
I want to watch this, But I dont. I won't but I really want to. But I will refrain to do so. but fuck I really want to........WHERE ARE YOU APRIL 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
don't do it , be strong.
But man are you missing out on some good stuff spoiled...

just kidding!
I haven't watched it either but for those that want to know the 1st 13 mins-there you go. UNcagedgames talks about it.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I watched it finally LOL Im so weak bruh
It didnt spoil anything surprising really. Is it worth watching? Not really. Even if there are no spoilers, it spoils the scene itself which I would have rather experienced it fresh.

DeftMonk

Noob
I think a bunch of characters that will be introduced will be killed off quickly. I think the filmmakers realize they cant give every character a full on backstory and some of them dont have that much of a complex story in the game anyway (like Reptile for instance)
U gotta wait for the 5 hour zack Snyder cut for that bro be patient.

I don't get it, why would you say "We are keeping him for the sequel" ? I mean, how do you even know we would ask for a sequel ? The movie has not been released yet and all the red flags for an awful film are there already. And I love how he says "This character is so awesome... He deserves be part of the sequel", I mean what the fuck lol.

The main lead of the game is Liu Kang anyways, not Johnny. Even if MKX's story was mostly about the Kombat Kids and... well their parents (mostly Johnny and Cassie because they needed someone strong enough to defeat Shinnok, at least according to them), it always has been about Liu Kang, you know, the chosen one.
Yes, in MK9, Johnny is important, but not because he is the main lead, but because he represents the spectator of the story. He discovers the tournament, his and all the supernatural abilities and the stakes at the same time as the player. He follows the Earth team, fights with it, suffers with it and mourns it, just like the player does.

"The reason we held back Johnny Cage is he is a very egotistical guy. He's a scoundrel. He's funny. He's bigger than life... and so is Kano,"
I'm sorry, what ? I mean I like Kano (and the casting choice seems really good for the character) but he is nothing like Johnny Cage at all. Kano is "funny", yes, but not the same kind of humor. Just one tiny different detail, one is an egotistic and selfish guy that wants to prove that "he is the best" (and grows, through pain and loss that there are more important things in life, things that are worth fighting and dying for) and the other one is a maniac, a murderer that does not hesitate to betray his own for profit and has fun doing it. So no, this is bullshit. They are nothing alike, and that is the whole point.
"But you don't understand, he meant that both characters are too important to develop in one movie, and also Kano is already comic relief so we can't have two...". Bullshit, we'll spend two minutes learning who Kano is through cringy dialogues and will probably die after 5 minutes of screentlme. If for some reason you have to pick one between Kano or Johnny for your MK story, in what universe do you go with Kano ?

So we've got time for a brand new character but not for an very well known and established character of 20+ years from the very first game ? Give me a break. Great, now we will have a protagonist that will be not only the dollar equivalent of Johnny Cage, shares the exact same purpose I was describing earlier but also makes Liu Kang pointless since... Well Cole Young is the chosen one now, since he has the MK logo as his birthmark.
I can't fucking believe it, they did the exact same dumb move Paul W.S. Anderson did with his awful Resident Evil adaptation.

I think the best possible quote to summarize Todd Garner's involvement in this project would be : "Who hired this guy ? What the fuck ?"

Last edited:
I don't get it, why would you say "We are keeping him for the sequel" ? I mean, how do you even know we would ask for a sequel ? The movie has not been released yet and all the red flags for an awful film are there already. And I love how he says "This character is so awesome... He deserves be part of the sequel", I mean what the fuck lol.

The main lead of the game is Liu Kang anyways, not Johnny. Even if MKX's story was mostly about the Kombat Kids and... well their parents (mostly Johnny and Cassie because they needed someone strong enough to defeat Shinnok, at least according to them), it always has been about Liu Kang, you know, the chosen one.
Yes, in MK9, Johnny is important, but not because he is the main lead, but because he represents the spectator of the story. He discovers the tournament, his and all the supernatural abilities and the stakes at the same time as the player. He follows the Earth team, fights with it, suffers with it and mourns it, just like the player does.

I'm sorry, what ? I mean I like Kano (and the casting choice seems really good for the character) but he is nothing like Johnny Cage at all. Kano is "funny", yes, but not the same kind of humor. Just one tiny different detail, one is an egotistic and selfish guy that wants to prove that "he is the best" (and grows, through pain and loss that there are more important things in life, things that are worth fighting and dying for) and the other one is a maniac, a murderer that does not hesitate to betray his own for profit and has fun doing it. So no, this is bullshit. They are nothing alike, and that is the whole point.
"But you don't understand, he meant that both characters are too important to develop in one movie, and also Kano is already comic relief so we can't have two...". Bullshit, we'll spend two minutes learning who Kano is through cringy dialogues and will probably die after 5 minutes of screentlme. If for some reason you have to pick one between Kano or Johnny for your MK story, in what universe do you go with Kano ?

So we've got time for a brand new character but not for an very well known and established character of 20+ years from the very first game ? Give me a break. Great, now we will have a protagonist that will be not only the dollar equivalent of Johnny Cage, shares the exact same purpose I was describing earlier but also makes Liu Kang pointless since... Well Cole Young is the chosen one now, since he has the MK logo as his birthmark.
I can't fucking believe it, they did the exact same dumb move Paul W.S. Anderson did with his awful Resident Evil adaptation.

I think the best possible quote to summarize Todd Garner's involvement in this project would be : "Who hired this guy ? What the fuck ?"
Good points there. You could argue it's like shades of how Johnny was replaced by Jax in Annihilation. However, I think it's more than just Kano's sick humor and personality.

They probably want to focus more on an in-depth origin story of the feud between Kano and the special forces. Johnny will probably be too much of a distraction for that. It's likely Kano will having falling out with Sonya/Jax at some point and later down the road Johnny will meet up with them while they're on a manhunt for Kano.

Last edited:

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
All this complaining that Johnny isnt in the movie.... I think it's very logical that they omit a funny character when they already have a comedic relief with Kano. I rather they then proceed to make a movie about Johnny Cage then one about Kano if a marvel-universe style franchise is planned. Does it suck that your favorite character isnt in the movie? Sure but many people's favorite character isnt in the movie.
Im also not buying their whole "we are trying to be diverse" fake woke BS. The movie is already very diverse and its not an extra white guy that will change that. Maybe they thought that their initial argument of having 2 comedic relief characters wouldnt be enough so they attached this weak ass "diversity" argument.

I don't know but just from a filmmaking POV, you already have a movie that risks having characters under-developed due to the sheer number of people they are introducing. Omitting one with a richer backstory like Johnny cage makes sense to me. I wouldve been ok if they omitted Liu Kang or Sonya even. At the end of the day, we want a movie with a good story and characters that we care about. You can't do that coming out of the gate with a shit ton of characters or else you end up like the original Justice League or The Mummy.

Art Lean

Noob

Please tell me that you spot Nitara in this and my eyes aren't deceiving me?

eta-

also
Don't care what anyone says, I think Mileena looks great and her shriek there (however brief) sounded delightfully monstrous. Really looking forward to this! :cool:

It's also interesting how it appears Sub Zero is vastly overpowering Scorpion in every scene. Makes a nice change from how Scorpion was presented in Legends: Scorpion's Revenge. Maybe this is why Ed's not talking about the movie haha :D

Anyway, I wonder who all these really tall people (women?) are accompanying Shang and Mileena towards the Shokan statue. I thought maybe they were female shokan, the hand on the one on the bottom right almost looks too simple to be 5 digits and could be just 3, but then that could also just be a blurring issue with the clip not being full HD. But then the second one on the left doesn't appear to have room beneath their right arm for another arm so I'm not convinced they are shokan by any stretch, yet can't think what else they might be?

But then again maybe they're normal people and Sissi Stringer is just tiny?

Last edited:

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I want this movie to be great but beyond the great trailer (which doesnt mean much nowadays anyway), I find a lot of things that worry me. Like this is from the official website:

The film is helmed by award-winning Australian commercial filmmaker Simon McQuoid, marking his feature directorial debut, and produced by James Wan (“The Conjuring” universe films, “Aquaman,”), Todd Garner (“Into the Storm,” “Tag”), McQuoid and E. Bennett Walsh (“Men in Black: International,” “The Amazing Spider-Man 2”).
Directorial debut, MIB international, Amazing spider-man 2, the fact that its a mere 1h30m with like 10 characters to develop and make compelling (Cole, SZ, Scorpion, Jax, Sonya, Kung Lao, LK, Shang Tsung, Kano, Raiden), without getting bogged down with too much exposition. Im worried that Raiden essentially becomes and exposition machine with his main role just explaining the world and nothing more. I guess I hope that if thats the case, the actor can imbue the character with some personality.

I just want this movie to kick fucking ass damnit

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
I want this movie to be great but beyond the great trailer (which doesnt mean much nowadays anyway), I find a lot of things that worry me. Like this is from the official website:

Directorial debut, MIB international, Amazing spider-man 2, the fact that its a mere 1h30m with like 10 characters to develop and make compelling (Cole, SZ, Scorpion, Jax, Sonya, Kung Lao, LK, Shang Tsung, Kano, Raiden), without getting bogged down with too much exposition. Im worried that Raiden essentially becomes and exposition machine with his main role just explaining the world and nothing more. I guess I hope that if thats the case, the actor can imbue the character with some personality.

I just want this movie to kick fucking ass damnit
i understand your worries but be patient... We'll see...

Is the 90 minute run time official though ?
I saw a rumor about 105 minutes...

ItsYaBoi

Noob
Don't care what anyone says, I think Mileena looks great and her shriek there (however brief) sounded delightfully monstrous. Really looking forward to this! :cool:

It's also interesting how it appears Sub Zero is vastly overpowering Scorpion in every scene. Makes a nice change from how Scorpion was presented in Legends: Scorpion's Revenge. Maybe this is why Ed's not talking about the movie haha :D

Anyway, I wonder who all these really tall people (women?) are accompanying Shang and Mileena towards the Shokan statue. I thought maybe they were female shokan, the hand on the one on the bottom right almost looks too simple to be 5 digits and could be just 3, but then that could also just be a blurring issue with the clip not being full HD. But then the second one on the left doesn't appear to have room beneath their right arm for another arm so I'm not convinced they are shokan by any stretch, yet can't think what else they might be?

But then again maybe they're normal people and Sissi Stringer is just tiny?

View attachment 18090
All I'm seeing from the bottom pic is that Sissi is thicc. Damn boi :REO

A 90 min run time threatens my hype a lil, lol. That’s lame. I want as much kombat as I can get. and if they’re trying to establish a universe with multiple sequels AND teach cole/joe shmoe in the audience what MK is that seems kinda crammed.

I mean it’s better than trying to put too many plot points/storylines in like the disaster that was Batman vs Superman, but I’m just sayin.

Status
Not open for further replies.