What's new

MKXL Tier list????

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
How the hell is Sub-Zero both alive and a revenant in this game when Scorpion killed Bi-Han in Mk9 and Sindel killed Kuai Liang in her final showdown with Nightwolf???!!!

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
How the hell is Sub-Zero both alive and a revenant in this game when Scorpion killed Bi-Han in Mk9 and Sindel killed Kuai Liang in her final showdown with Nightwolf???!!!
Revenant at the beginning, Quan Chi gets bopped and Raiden magic happens so Jax, Sub, and I think some others get unrevenanted, and being dead, like being plus, is only a mindset in Mk.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Revenant at the beginning, Quan Chi gets bopped and Raiden magic happens so Jax, Sub, and I think some others get unrevenanted, and being dead, like being plus, is only a mindset in Mk.
But Unmasked Sub Kuai Liang was in the 2nd part of story mode with a beard and the Kombat-Kids came to ask him for help. Kaui was automated into Cyber-Sub while Bi-Han became Noob Saibot... It's like they're following up Mk9 story but pretending people aren't going to notice the retcon in continuity...

HOW MANY times is NRS just going to keep failing at everything they attempt to do? I'm barely a fan anymore of what used to be my favorite franchise for nearly 4 decades

The story for Mortal Kombat X mostly takes place twenty five-ish years after the last game, but there's parts that flashback to earlier. The very first Chapter is one such section, and you see Revenant Sub-Zero and he's back to being human. In the prequel comics, which are canon, Quan Chi "destroys" Cyber Sub-Zero's body and reforms him as proper flesh and blood, thus restoring his humanity, but as a Revenant.

Chapter 3 of the story takes place in the present (so twenty five years later), and Kuai Liang is the Grand Master of the Lin Keui (SP?) because much has happened between the NetherRealm War and now. You'll find out later in the story, in another flashback section, how he was saved.

Honestly, Cyber Sub-Zero as a Revenant never made sense anyway. It's the person's soul that's revived as a revenant in hell. His soul would be human, not machine.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I am aware of Cyomancer being a great variation in the latest patch. Never seen any solid unbreakable player, that true
Cryomancer was garbage. He did low damage, shit neutral, he just did the unsafe 50/50 thing worse than other characters. Unbreakable's parry was drastically buffed, aura and especially ex aura were great loves, ex aura icy slide was the last one bar armor launcher in the entire game, probably a top 5 armor move overall.

Neither were anywhere near as good as Grandmaster, except I think Unbreakable couldve been theoretically better vs Lasher and SR Takeda.

Wigy

There it is...
Kang is #1.

All the run cancel characters got nerfed but they didn't really effect Kang at all. Damage output is the highest in the game if you can do it.

B12 is the best string in mkx hands down.

Great zoning and keepaway.

Broken as fuck wakeups, dragon roar could be jumped on read but dragon kick was free as fuck if you spent the bar.

Basically he was S or A+ in pretty much every department

Honourable mention. Why the fuck did Kang have b2. That shit was impossible to punish and you just had to eat it cause of f4.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Kang is #1.

All the run cancel characters got nerfed but they didn't really effect Kang at all. Damage output is the highest in the game if you can do it.

B12 is the best string in mkx hands down.

Great zoning and keepaway.

Broken as fuck wakeups, dragon roar could be jumped on read but dragon kick was free as fuck if you spent the bar.

Basically he was S or A+ in pretty much every department

Honourable mention. Why the fuck did Kang have b2. That shit was impossible to punish and you just had to eat it cause of f4.
B12 basically says “fuck armor” lol.
He had b2 cause he had no overheads at all. It’s amazing in terms of range, but kinda shit as a damage too.

Wigy

There it is...
B12 basically says “fuck armor” lol.
He had b2 cause he had no overheads at all. It’s amazing in terms of range, but kinda shit as a damage too.
He gets a good knockdown to Bulldoze you on Oki. It was most annoying when you're trying to get in round all the fireballs. You finally get close and eat a run in b2.

You just have to eat that shit for free cause f4, it's like never in your favour to block it high.

DragonofDadashov24

He gets a good knockdown to Bulldoze you on Oki. It was most annoying when you're trying to get in round all the fireballs. You finally get close and eat a run in b2.

You just have to eat that shit for free cause f4, it's like never in your favour to block it high.
Agreed. Though I played FF cause of DF having a shitty tattoo all over his face

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I would say some of the worst are from memory:

Metallic Tremor
Brood Mother Dvorah
Warrior Predator
Necromancer Shinnok
Fisticuffs Johnny

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Lackey is probably the variation that ended up being more hurted due to last patch meta change. Designed around armor, got it removed and was given nothing to compensate or redesign. Garbage.

MKXL was a very diverse and complex game and time has proven that many characters needed much more time to be fleshed out to show their true potential. Characters like Dragon's fire Kang (one of the best if not the best) or Hellfire Scorpion, even perceived as very good during the game's "life", only showed their true faces much later and proved to play a different game. There are more examples of characters that people who kept playing the game have seen unfolding their true potential, like Tempest Lao, Sun God Kotal, Sorcerer Quan or Killer Leatherface, who were much better than people thought in the final meta. Most of the old top tiers (who were quickly identified back then due to having more obvious "broken" and easy to pick up tools, therefore being more popular in competition) are still holding up and being up there, though. The gap between the top positions and the bottom ones is still very big.

Last patch had nice ideas that would have benefited from a continuation of the support. Good direction was taken, but being so radical caused situations of characters that can't play the game they are in, together with others that got immensely boosted indirectly, and sadly the game was abandoned at that point. Being in a better state than before, yes, but leaving people with a bittersweet feeling of what it could have been if more thought and time would have been put in the final fixes.

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Rough tier list from memory:
S+:
Liu Kang
Mileena
Sektor

S:
Jacqui
Tremor
Ermac
Kenshi
Jason

A+:
Sonya
Smoke
Cassie
Raiden
Takeda
Scorpion
Shinnok
Leatherface

A:
Predator
Tanya
Kitana
Quan Chi
D’Vorah

A-:
Sub Zero
Jax
Kano
Erron Black
Kung Lao

B+:
Kung Jin
Kotal Khan
Reptile
Alien
Cyrax
Cyber sub

B:
Goro
Bo rai cho
Ferra Tor

S and S+ could win a tournament outright without secondaries. A+ and A could win with good bracket. A- are great characters with certain matchups that make them very hard to solo win a tournament with but are still really good. B+ make good secondary character picks but probably wouldn’t win a tournament solo. B aren’t really seen much at all although they sometimes make a good niche pick.

This is just basic though. If you wanted variations that’s much more in depth haha.

DragonofDadashov24

S+:
Liu Kang
Mileena
Sektor

S:
Jacqui
Tremor
Ermac
Kenshi
Jason

A+:
Sonya
Smoke
Cassie
Raiden
Takeda
Scorpion
Shinnok
Leatherface

A:
Predator
Tanya
Kitana
Quan Chi
D’Vorah

A-:
Sub Zero
Jax
Kano
Erron Black
Kung Lao

B+:
Kung Jin
Kotal Khan
Reptile
Alien
Cyrax
Cyber sub

B:
Goro
Bo rai cho
Ferra Tor

S and S+ could win a tournament outright without secondaries. A+ and A could win with good bracket. A- are great characters with certain matchups that make them very hard to solo win a tournament with but are still really good. B+ make good secondary character picks but probably wouldn’t win a tournament solo. B aren’t really seen much at all although they sometimes make a good niche pick.

This is just basic though. If you wanted variations that’s much more in depth haha.
Possessed S tier? Can’t you back walk the teleport?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It was that or still having his unreactable armored OH specials -_-

He was cancer.
No, it was that OR they could have let his rekkas still be delayed on hit so it doesn't ruin his combos and only nerf them on block. He was cancer but its not fair that Alien and Cage got hit 10000000x harder than all the other top tiers.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
I would say some of the worst are from memory:

Metallic Tremor
Brood Mother Dvorah
Warrior Predator
Necromancer Shinnok
Fisticuffs Johnny
Brood mother was really good actually in the latest patch, she had some really nasty Setup plays and she could get pretty high damage off her 112 punish

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
S+:
Liu Kang
Mileena
Sektor

S:
Jacqui
Tremor
Ermac
Kenshi
Jason

A+:
Sonya
Smoke
Cassie
Raiden
Takeda
Scorpion
Shinnok
Leatherface

A:
Predator
Tanya
Kitana
Quan Chi
D’Vorah

A-:
Sub Zero
Jax
Kano
Erron Black
Kung Lao

B+:
Kung Jin
Kotal Khan
Reptile
Alien
Cyrax
Cyber sub

B:
Goro
Bo rai cho
Ferra Tor

Ferra/Torr was way higher than b tier. Ruthless was extremely good

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I miss th
Brood Mother was actually really strong, and I wouldn't put it with those others at all. Venomous maybe. Frankly, Necromancer was good too, but totally overshadowed. Shinnok's base kit was just so strong.
I forgot they needed Venomous' ex spray thing so you may be right. Necromancer was pretty meh.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Ferra/Torr was way higher than b tier. Ruthless was extremely good
Another example of why tier lists not taking into account variations were always misleading or straight up useless.

Also there are many other problems with that list even if you consider it a "best variation" list, related with what I was telling above: game never stopped evolving after the majority of people left and new meta changed things showing that some of those who lie in the middle are actually up there, for example.

Last edited:

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
I miss th
I forgot they needed Venomous' ex spray thing so you may be right. Necromancer was pretty meh.
Losing the chip wasn't that big of a deal, honestly. The armor move she got was pretty good, in exchange. I firmly believe that if Venomous just had a way to launch off f122 like the other variations, it would be considered damn near broken up close. Still wouldn't be top tier because she was incredibly weak to zoning, though.