Reptile
Alien
Cyrax
Cyber sub

B:
Goro
Bo rai cho
Ferra Tor

S and S+ could win a tournament outright without secondaries. A+ and A could win with good bracket. A- are great characters with certain matchups that make them very hard to solo win a tournament with but are still really good. B+ make good secondary character picks but probably wouldn’t win a tournament solo. B aren’t really seen much at all although they sometimes make a good niche pick.

This is just basic though. If you wanted variations that’s much more in depth haha.
Kitana was definitely a top 10 character. Possibly top 5. The last patch really helped her since a lot of nerfs other characters got worked in her favor, on top of the plethora of buffs she got

she was also one of the few characters who had an armored launcher, something that was nuked in the last patch.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Necromancer was ass.

Sure Shinnok's base kit helped but tbh it's wasn't even that good. F4, D4 and hellsparks aren't enough to make a character good. The flick whiffed a lot and the unblockable was gimmicky.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Losing the chip wasn't that big of a deal, honestly. The armor move she got was pretty good, in exchange. I firmly believe that if Venomous just had a way to launch off f122 like the other variations, it would be considered damn near broken up close. Still wouldn't be top tier because she was incredibly weak to zoning, though.
Idk, I think losing the chip was a big deal. That was kinda her gameplan. And not just that, it had armour anyway and left you right in front of you plus on hit. The new one sent them across the screen making you have to approach again. I thought it was a pretty big nerd

REO

Undead
Jason is not top tier or S tier in MKX. The character is the most overrated character in MKX history and I don't understand why so many people claim he's top tier. Literally almost every Jason main dropped him during the resurgence of MKX when Injustice 2 was out when people were rediscovering how many issues he has vs the cast. Is the character super scrubby and takes just one minute of brainpower to pick up and play? Yes. Is Jason top tier because SonicFox beat a few players in tournament with him? No.

I'm not even joking, the character loses 4-6 to over 10 characters in the roster. In what world is a character that struggles against 1/3rd of the cast considered top tier? Off the top of my head, Jason loses to Sub-Zero, Bo' Rai Cho, Mileena, Sektor, Johnny Cage, Liu Kang, Reptile, Mileena, Scorpion, Leatherface, etc.

Yes, you read that right. He even struggles against shit tier characters like Bo' Rai Cho. And unlike other top tier characters, when Jason loses to a character, he can't just switch variations to instantly solve the problem. All three of his variations mostly struggle against the same issues.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Jason is not top tier or S tier in MKX. The character is the most overrated character in MKX history and I don't understand why so many people claim he's top tier. Literally almost every Jason main dropped him during the resurgence of MKX when Injustice 2 was out when people were rediscovering how many issues he has vs the cast. Is the character super scrubby and takes just one minute of brainpower to pick up and play? Yes. Is Jason top tier because SonicFox beat a few players in tournament with him? No.

I'm not even joking, the character loses 4-6 to over 10 characters in the roster. In what world is a character that struggles against 1/3rd of the cast considered top tier? Off the top of my head, Jason loses to Sub-Zero, Bo' Rai Cho, Mileena, Sektor, Johnny Cage, Liu Kang, Reptile, Mileena, Scorpion, Leatherface, etc.

Yes, you read that right. He even struggles against shit tier characters like Bo' Rai Cho. And unlike other top tier characters, when Jason loses to a character, he can't just switch variations to instantly solve the problem. All three of his variations mostly struggle against the same issues.
I was hoping you'd pop in and touch on this... I kinda revived this thread cuz i was given an XboxOne and MKX free and i never really liked it but now i just kinda want to see if it's any more fun at high-level so if you want to teach me, my 1000mb should be enough for GGs.

Been a long time since i played you in anything if you feel like kicking the shit outta me, teach me the meta, just basics in general. Thanks for popping in, if there's a better list or you want to do 1, i generally take you and Mario and Bill's word on this type of stuff

...but I'd much rather be playing Mk9 with y'all if I had a way to, believe that

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I would say some of the worst are from memory:

Metallic Tremor
Brood Mother Dvorah
Warrior Predator
Necromancer Shinnok
Fisticuffs Johnny
Metallic Tremor shouldn't be less than mid tier IMO. Flame DB1 is great move, he did a ton of damage into restands, a lot of unbreakable damage, etc. Wasn't as good as his other variations but he was still Tremor

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Idk, I think losing the chip was a big deal. That was kinda her gameplan. And not just that, it had armour anyway and left you right in front of you plus on hit. The new one sent them across the screen making you have to approach again. I thought it was a pretty big nerd
Well, if you weren't mistaken about it having armor, I'd agree with you. Armor on original EX spray would've been a top 3 armor move after the armor nerf. Hitbox like possessed's slice, 10% chip, hard af to punish, and shred's all other armor, vastly increasing it's damage in the process. First hit of ex spray did 7%, every one after did 1%. So when it hit armor, it did an extra 7 for each armor hit, then still for the first regular hit. Breaking 2 hit armor did 28% damage. In the meta of the last patch, where that was common, it would've been crazy. Now that I remember this property, yeah it was a pretty big nerf, probably because it would've been super messed up.

As is, gaining a safe, fast 2 hit armor really changes the mind game behind delaying spray. You better be damn certain about trying to punish, because if you aren't, hold this 17%. If it were just between this and losing 6% chip, even with the counter intuitive hit reaction, I'd take the armor.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I have a fuckin aneurism whenever I see people put Sub in top 10 or higher, I thankfully haven't seen that after the game died.

colby4898

Well, if you weren't mistaken about it having armor, I'd agree with you. Armor on original EX spray would've been a top 3 armor move after the armor nerf. Hitbox like possessed's slice, 10% chip, hard af to punish, and shred's all other armor, vastly increasing it's damage in the process. First hit of ex spray did 7%, every one after did 1%. So when it hit armor, it did an extra 7 for each armor hit, then still for the first regular hit. Breaking 2 hit armor did 28% damage. In the meta of the last patch, where that was common, it would've been crazy. Now that I remember this property, yeah it was a pretty big nerf, probably because it would've been super messed up.

As is, gaining a safe, fast 2 hit armor really changes the mind game behind delaying spray. You better be damn certain about trying to punish, because if you aren't, hold this 17%. If it were just between this and losing 6% chip, even with the counter intuitive hit reaction, I'd take the armor.
Ah did it not have armour? Must be remembering wrong my bad. Either way I wasnt a fan of the change tbh, thought it was a bit random and unnecessary. At least she had the ovipositor rush for armour.

colby4898

Metallic Tremor shouldn't be less than mid tier IMO. Flame DB1 is great move, he did a ton of damage into restands, a lot of unbreakable damage, etc. Wasn't as good as his other variations but he was still Tremor
Tbh were there really any really bad variations at the end though? I feel like pretty much every variation could be argued at least mid tier by the end. To me they all seemed to have had somethi g going for them

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Ah did it not have armour? Must be remembering wrong my bad. Either way I wasnt a fan of the change tbh, thought it was a bit random and unnecessary. At least she had the ovipositor rush for armour.
It had armour, but was changed to a single hit, safe, "get off me" move.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Tbh were there really any really bad variations at the end though? I feel like pretty much every variation could be argued at least mid tier by the end. To me they all seemed to have had somethi g going for them
I'd say Inferno Scorp, Master of Storms Raiden and some other were pretty trash BUT unlike in MK11 they at least had some gimmick they could do which was fun in itself.

xKMMx

Banned
I recall Alien being nerfed hard by the Sep. 2016 patch.
Regardless of nerfs Aline in Acidic and Tarkatan were still very strong. Acidic had all the mix up tools that the other variations had plus decent zoning including an air projectile and a restand and DOT. IF you were in the corner against a good acidic you were just about done off one touch.

xKMMx

Banned
Warrior Predator has to be close to one of the more mediocre variations in the game.
Aside from damage and one plus
How the hell is Sub-Zero both alive and a revenant in this game when Scorpion killed Bi-Han in Mk9 and Sindel killed Kuai Liang in her final showdown with Nightwolf???!!!
Cause NRS. NRS bro .

xKMMx

Banned

100 percent Jason is hot trash. Very one dimensional in almost every variations. Fun as hell to play some casuals with but competition strong......nah.

xKMMx

Banned
No, it was that OR they could have let his rekkas still be delayed on hit so it doesn't ruin his combos and only nerf them on block. He was cancer but its not fair that Alien and Cage got hit 10000000x harder than all the other top tiers.
[/QUOTE
Yep they neutered him. You really want a laugh you should have seen me trying to learn him post last patch not knowing that they nerfed that. I spent hours and hours trying to get the delay for the last hit never knowing at that point that fighting game move properties could even be changed post release. I was a total noob at fighting games at the time.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I think most, if not all, variations in MKX were interesting and had potential (but some were pretty trash), with a few exceptions like Pumped up Jax and Inferno Scorpion. They had some unique stuff and were cool on paper and in theory had some role to full.

The issue, I feel, with MK11 is that a lot of variations just feel like they don't have a niche. Take Spellmaster Shang. He's sort of zoning oriented but has worse zoning than Warlock. There is just too many variations that feel derived of identity.

That being said, I like variations as a concept. I just feel they lack some creativity

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
why is it that I always do better with Low tiers??? Triborg, Alien (Braka Chop-Chop Var.)and reptile were my top tiers back then lol, but characters like Mileena and Liu Kang were WAAAAAAY Low cause I rarely won with them

I think most, if not all, variations in MKX were interesting and had potential (but some were pretty trash), with a few exceptions like Pumped up Jax and Inferno Scorpion. They had some unique stuff and were cool on paper and in theory had some role to full.

The issue, I feel, with MK11 is that a lot of variations just feel like they don't have a niche. Take Spellmaster Shang. He's sort of zoning oriented but has worse zoning than Warlock. There is just too many variations that feel derived of identity.

That being said, I like variations as a concept. I just feel they lack some creativity
Variations in Mortal Kombat 11 are absolutely several steps back from what they were in Mortal Kombat XL. You'd think they were the developer's first attempt, and then Mortal Kombat XL came along with the system properly fleshed out, but it's the reverse!

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Variations in Mortal Kombat 11 are absolutely several steps back from what they were in Mortal Kombat XL. You'd think they were the developer's first attempt, and then Mortal Kombat XL came along with the system properly fleshed out, but it's the reverse!
Yeah it's kinda sad, MKX was kinda cool but unpolished. Now it's just unpolished.