What's new

Discussion MKXL Post 3/29/16 Tier List Thread

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I'm sad to hear thats about Bo rai especially for his Dragon breath variation ( i love the concept), but thanks for the reply sir, its really clear for me now.
Well Dragon's Breath has some good stuff, as I said talk to a Dragon's Breath main and they'll be able to tell you more about that variation. Same with Drunken Master :)

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
Because I want to keep the mass discussion ball rolling, I put this itty bitty tier list together with the help of various players. No names given because ya'll jumping on me is fun enough as is, but yeah, discuss!

***Side Note: The reason this isn't by variation, is BECAUSE the same character STILL has access to the other ones, should you need to switch. I mean the game has been out for a year now, you'd think you can catch on....This is taking into account how versatile a character is throughout ALL variations, regardless if they have a "go to" or not. Hence why Triborg is where he is because it is still the same character select, despite how dramatically they change. This isn't a MU chart ***

Gross Red: In a nutshell, characters that bend the meta of the game and have no weaknesses to speak of. Whiffed normals cancelled into specials, whiffed jump ins cancelled for example, on top of their immense offense and in Alien's case, defense along with his mixups.

Red: These characters have it all in spades, but don't break the game. There are no genuine losing MU's to speak of, and any weakness one variation may have in a specific MU, they have another to cover it up.

Red-Orange: These characters are just a step down from Red, with the exception that there are a few losing MU's that they have, even with a variation switch. However, they still are overall better characters as a whole than those in Orange.

Orange: This lineup of characters are very well rounded and have above average tools, however, they don't have the "wow" factor that those above them do. These characters also have to deal with various losing MU's, more so than those above, but still have their own dirt to throw.

Yellow/Gold: These few are what would be considered viable at the very least. They don't have exploits, nor are they filled with winning MU's, but their overall mixup capabilities keep them from being lower.

Green: Good ol' Tanya, who didn't fall from grace, but got pushed into a well. She is the only character currently that suffers a risk/reward factor in practically everything she does and is flooded with gaps along with getting below average damage out of it, with or without meter. She isn't horrible, but having to be the only character that NEEDS to outplay just about every MU, leaves her below the rest.

Last edited:

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Why is Shinnok S+? I've heard so much talk about him being lower tier as well as never seen him that high on a tier list since BS had a pointblank restand.

Rabbit

thugs bunny
S- is a thing now? lol

I wish people would stop misusing S+ tier placements.

Also lol at Tremor bottom 2 and Reptile in the same tier as Loop Kang.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I am surprised by a few of these - mainly the lower tiers. The ones that stick out IMO are:

Raiden is one tier lower
Erron one tier higher
Bo and Tanya are lowest tier in the game at the moment - I don't think Tremor is quite on par with them.

Tweedy

Noob
My opinions.

Mileena not being in the highest tier is clear Mileena player bias. Seriously, say what you want about her being the best or not, but she's among the very best.

Shinnok in S+? Idk about that. He's good, Imposter is ridiculous on certain stages. I'd still put him in like A+, low S.

I like where you put Kung Jin. I see people putting him in top 5, which I don't understand at all. I like your Kotal placement as well.

Cassie and Ferra Torr are maybe a tier too high, Reptile a tier too low.

Triborg is weird in a whole character tier list. Smoke is very good, Sektor is good, Cyrax is idk, CZ0 is not good.

Kung Lao, at most is A+ imo, and Erron Black can only go as low as A+. Just my opinion, though.

There's no way Tremor is B, or even Tanya if you're going by best variation. They might have variations that are B tier, but so does Kung Lao. Tanya is a weird subject due to her lack of representation since the MKXL patch, so i'll just say that I believe that Crystalline is no less than A.

I feel like Jacqui could be higher, Cutthroat could be higher, Sub Zero could be lower. Not too sure on those, though, besides Cutthroat, but that variation is almost like Bigfoot at this point. Everyone knows it's top 3 material, bot no one uses it lol.

Edit: Btw I have no opinion on Leatherface or Bo so i'm not agreeing with those. I just don't know.