What's new

Discussion MKXL Non-gameplay related feedback

For practice mode I would like an option to test resets and restands by having dummy perform an action after hitstun wears off while standing. I know frame data but in some cases it would help to know matchup specifics. I don't really think setting dummy to jump gives you all the info we need and recording our setup and trying to get out of it with other characters seems needlessly involved.

I would also like to include normals into the list of available options under wakeup setting and proposed reset/restand settings.
I agree, I'm not sure if you can set a dummy to do their strings on reversal mode, I don't think so, this would help a lot in training mode.

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
I agree, I'm not sure if you can set a dummy to do their strings on reversal mode, I don't think so, this would help a lot in training mode.
Exactly. You'll get a complete idea of what beats what without recording a setup every time. It seems counteractive to use other characters to beat your setup. You should use your character and program the dummy to perform desired action.

Exactly. You'll get a complete idea of what beats what without recording a setup every time. It seems counteractive to use other characters to beat your setup. You should use your character and program the dummy to perform desired action.
^this +100000000
Nobody is going to throw an ice ball 2 inches away from you or any projectile that can't cancel, but EVERYONE will attack you with normals and strings when they're close, so having a reversal mode with strings will let you know exactly what your character can and can't punish. And what can punish you. Also this will allow you to learn string/combo spacing. Some strings have more pushback than others, this idea will also let you know how to react to that different spacing. The more we understand the game the less everyone will guess.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
I would also like to include normals into the list of available options under wakeup setting and proposed reset/restand settings.
This is litterally the only thing missing from an otherwise perfect training mode.

Something else I forgot to mention in my earlier post: would it be too much to ask to have an alternate control scheme for running? Like, have a control setting where you can toggle between forward forward block (default) or press and hold L2 (classic run style).

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Speaking of dialogues, NRS, do something with the tiny subtitles. Nobody can read them, except of those who have hawk eyes. I had a hard time reading the dialogue subs in the cinematic movies.

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
^this +100000000
Nobody is going to throw an ice ball 2 inches away from you or any projectile that can't cancel, but EVERYONE will attack you with normals and strings when they're close, so having a reversal mode with strings will let you know exactly what your character can and can't punish. And what can punish you. Also this will allow you to learn string/combo spacing. Some strings have more pushback than others, this idea will also let you know how to react to that different spacing. The more we understand the game the less everyone will guess.
Yeah because of the spacing the frame data doesn't tell the full story.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Graphics and animations are pretty solid aside from Predator looks like his head is inflated too big and Jason is maybe a bit off too.

Character designs are mostly well done other than for the life of me, I will never understand Shinnok's primary costume design. Dark Emperor Liu Kang is another one. He looks heavy for a character that's supposed to be fast. Reptile is Chris Bosh in this game, his mask in his default gives me unnecessary Metroid flashbacks, Cassie is literally Miley Cyrus...ugh.

The music is most definately the weakest part of this franchise...completely forgettable. Can we hire Mick Gordon to do the next game's score?

Story mode: Sinful as shit. They built up Kotal Kahn in the comics to be this badass emperor and in the story mode he is super wasted. Also for all the shit-talking that Cassie does before a fight, her character is a complete 180 the other way...and it also doesn't help that she's the hero in the end. The Takeda/Kenshi relationship gets thrown under the rug...and I could probably go on and on...

- Better online options for ranked match. You should be able to filter by region or at the very least connection quality. Also, the match-making is in dire need of improvements. Currently, it feels as if there is none at all. While you're at it, add a "versus anyone/versus similar rank" filter.
Agree.

- Soundtrack. Most BGMs sound like stock background music.
I think that's the best explanation i've heard.

I remember I used to listen to some of the older MK1/2/3 tracks just because I thought they sounded good. They had a personality about them that you could connect with the stages. Now most music is interchangeable between each stage. For MKX, there's not one stage that I could hum along to... compare that to MK123, Many of those are still stuck in my head.

Apart from that, MKX is definitely did well with character/visual design of the game.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Agree.

I think that's the best explanation i've heard.

I remember I used to listen to some of the older MK1/2/3 tracks just because I thought they sounded good. They had a personality about them that you could connect with the stages. Now most music is interchangeable between each stage. For MKX, there's not one stage that I could hum along to... compare that to MK123, Many of those are still stuck in my head.

Apart from that, MKX is definitely did well with character/visual design of the game.
i dont have a time machine so who are the leading characters in Mortal Kombat 123?

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
I'm surprised at how much people dislike the music in both this and Injustice.
The first round of Jinsei Chamber, the first round of Krossroads and all rounds of The Pit are really good pieces imo, especially the first two.

Same with Injustice, the Gotham, Themyiscra, Ferris Aircraft and Wayne Manor themes all really stood out to me.

Maybe its just me but I do feel that NRS does have some good music, even in comparison to the some of the older pieces like the klassic Deadpool and klassic Shang Tsung' Throne Room.

IMO MKXL music is a notch better than MK9... THAT was dull AF.

I really enjoy Outworld Marketplace and Refugee Camp round 1 tracks.

But this game could use more stages, at least to be total of 20. I mean MK9 had over 30 stages NOT counting alt weather. MKXL having less than 50% of that quantity and everybody being OK with this is beyond my comprehension.

Also I think stage fatalities are poorly done, MK9 ones were more, hmm, juicier, satisfactory. Especially The Subway, lifetime bowdowns for that one. But hey, at least we have them.

Also, I would change one thing about quitality: Instead of head blow up, opponent should turn around and run from arena with comical scared screaming. It would be a little anticlimatic, but it`s purpose is to humiliate opponent, also a perfect nod to friendship and babalities.

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
@VerminatorX
Oh yeah, I forgot to talk about that, lack of stages. Definitely agree on your suggestion. I think even Injustice had more stages (correct me if I'm wrong, I barely played that game) than MKX.
I disagree on stage fatalities being poorly done,if anything I would say there are too few stage fatalities: only 3 compared to MK9's 6 (9 if you were playing on PS3) Not to mention, they weren't even at launch, they were implemented when MKXL came out.

@SonicNinja3532
To be fair, other people (not just me) do like some of the songs: the problem is that barring a few specific songs and stages, 90% of the soundtrack just isn't good. The same thing happened with MK9, where the remixes weren't that bad (for the most part) and perhaps a few original songs weren't that bad (Kahn's throne room) but the rest was just crap. You also had the option to use the classic music (albeit only in VS modes, I'm not counting mods here) instead, which helped for the stages where remixes weren't that good (Armory) or they placed a shitty original song (Streets, Kahn's Coliseum) but you were shit out of luck if you happened to end up on a stage that didn't have that (probably the worst example being Hell. It's fucking Scorpion's lair, and you are telling me the awesome UMK3 music isn't an option? Like, what the hell?)

@VerminatorX
Oh yeah, I forgot to talk about that, lack of stages. Definitely agree on your suggestion. I think even Injustice had more stages (correct me if I'm wrong, I barely played that game) than MKX.
I disagree on stage fatalities being poorly done,if anything I would say there are too few stage fatalities: only 3 compared to MK9's 6 (9 if you were playing on PS3) Not to mention, they weren't even at launch, they were implemented when MKXL came out.

@SonicNinja3532
To be fair, other people (not just me) do like some of the songs: the problem is that barring a few specific songs and stages, 90% of the soundtrack just isn't good. The same thing happened with MK9, where the remixes weren't that bad (for the most part) and perhaps a few original songs weren't that bad (Kahn's throne room) but the rest was just crap. You also had the option to use the classic music (albeit only in VS modes, I'm not counting mods here) instead, which helped for the stages where remixes weren't that good (Armory) or they placed a shitty original song (Streets, Kahn's Coliseum) but you were shit out of luck if you happened to end up on a stage that didn't have that (probably the worst example being Hell. It's fucking Scorpion's lair, and you are telling me the awesome UMK3 music isn't an option? Like, what the hell?)
Yeah, Injustice did have more stages than MKX on top of having different variants/sceneries on stages with the transitions. The stages in general were just disappointing for me in MKX, they aren't bad, but most of them are just boring. Sky Temple and Jinsei Chamber are probably the best stages overall, while The Kove, Krossroads and Quan's fortress are all pretty decent imo. The Outworld stages are one of the biggest annoyances for me personally, I get that they're supposed to look more regal and dignified because of Kotal's ruling compared to Shao Kahn's destruction, but that shouldn't change the fucking atmosphere of the realm. I get that they tried to go with a more realistic approach with the Outworld stuff and I don't even mind that, but it wouldn't have hurt to put in a purple sky on the Outworld Marketplace.

Also, completely agreed on the classic music in MK9. Anytime I was player one I would always default to the classic music, or when I went in the lab. There really isn't any reason for the music to not be in the hell stage in that game either lol, it's practically the same stage from UMK3.

I like MKXL stages, the few they are. My only gripe is Outworld Marketplace and Kotal Kahn`s Colliseum are so similar to me, color pallete is identical.

I also think that The Pit is overhyped. 11 months of waiting to get an arena that is basically a copypaste from MK9? It looks beautiful alright, but hyping it was kinda pathetic...

I wish they added Dead Pool, Armory, Wastelands, Shang Tsung`s Island and Soul Chamber, at least one of these.

NSR

Yeah, just adding in one stage wasn't enough. At least a couple of extra stages would have helped ,maybe 1 from MK2 and 1 from MK3. MK2 could have been the Deadpool (probably the most iconic MK2 arena, although MK2 has lots of great arenas, like the Armory or Living forest), or the Kombat Tomb, given how it didn't make the cut in MK9, and MK3's arena could have been the Subway or Scorpion's lair.

Oh I forgot to mention, I dont understand why they scraped the body damage system from MK9, it was over the top, but the whole MK series is, I loved some body damage, especially Raiden`s and Scorpion`s, when you broke his mask and saw skull underneath.

In MKXL we have some generic body cuts, this is relly whack. Also sweat that looks like skin disease, ugh.

NSR

Actually, the damage system is in MKX, but the thing is, it's dynamic, as in, if you use Kung Lao and use his hat enough times against the opponent, you are bound to see some sharp cuts that match with Lao's hat.
Use a character that focuses more on strength (like Jax) and you are bound to see bruises more often. It's closer to the 3D era (barring MKVSDCU) so to speak, but still features a few design influences from DCU, MK9 and Injustice.
The thing is, it's more subtle than how detailed MK9's static damage system was.

btw @Braindead
there's always skin mods in case you want better classic costumes for PC.

gongfuren

Arma Virumque Cano
I don't like that on the console versions, Player 2 needs to sign in to a separate account just to play local VS. The whole process just extends the match set-up time in offline tournaments. I'd prefer the method in older games of just plugging the second controller in and having it immediately work.

NSR

@Braindead
Check any of the mods by Omegamathaus or mkx user, they are by far the best skinners for MKX.
A few examples of Omega's mods:
Better UMK3 costumes (Sub-Zero is used here as an example):

MKSM Sub-Zero:

kantboy-2

Ripper
Sub-Zero skins that should be in the game;

Tournament
Infrared (but like Schwarzenegger blue in Predator)

Skins they should add to the game as Mobile bonus, gifts or in game currency items;

MK1 Johnny
MK1 Goro
MK1/MK2 ninjas
MK2 Raiden
MK3 Triborg
MK3 female ninjas
Klassic Tremor
Klassic Tanya
Genocide Alien
Elder Predator (Predator 2)

Skin packs;

Shaolin Monks Liu Kang
Shaolin Monks Kung Lao
Shaolin Monks Sub-Zero
Shaolin Monks Scorpion

MK4 Shinnok
MK4 Tanya
MK4 Reptile
MK4 Sonya

MK9 Goro
MK9 Triborg
MK9 Quan Chi
MK9 Scorpion (alt. skin)

MK Deception Kenshi
MK Deception Bo Rai Cho
MK Deception Mileena
MK Deception Sub-Zero

8-bit Predator
8-bit Alien
8-bit Jason
8-bit Leatherface

Kosplay Ferra/Torr (Leatherface/Jason)
Kosplay Kotal Kahn (Predator)
Kosplay D'Vorah (Alien)

Steampunk Takeda
Steampunk Kung Jin
Steampunk Erron Black

They should add the Shirai Ryu faction (they already have the Dead Woods background, that's where they train or something) and computer reshuffle every faction membership to almost equal number amount of members. Don't let people pick this time around.

Add the Special Forces base and the Black Dragon hideout as game stages. I can't be the only one that would love to throw the tied soldier into an opponent, right? :DOGE Make an Infrared Kuatan Jungle and a damaged Training Stage (screens damaged, no holographic interactives) as alt. stages and I'm happy.

Oh yeah, we would like to see artwork for all DLC characters like the regular ones have. :mad:

There are a few good stages, but so many trash/bland ones.
Training stage
Dead woods
Refugee camp
Destroyed city
TRASH

The other stages were okay, but could've been soooooo much better. And of course every stage needs better music.

NSR

well, looking on the bright side, if you have the PC version, you can fix the Klassic version with a mod.