What's new

Discussion MKXL Non-gameplay related feedback

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
As a competitive community it makes sense that we talk about balancing 24/7, but I figured it would be good to change things up once in a while.

This thread is for discussing all things MKXL that do not directly relate to gameplay and/or balancing. Some examples:

- Graphics
- Music
- Story
- Animations
- Character designs
- Quality of Netherrealm streams
- The quality of the in-game practice mode (indirectly related to gameplay, but not to balancing so I think it fits).
- Anything else that does not relate to MKXL's gameplay / balancing.

@16 Bit I figured it would be nice to receive some feedback from the community on things that don't concern balancing.

Last edited:

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
I'm of firm belief that good music can greatly enhance a game. There are some games whose soundtrack alone is a good reason to play it (Darksiders 2 for instance).
My problem with MKX however is that the music is just so bland. A lot of tracks have the same general feel to them and they don't really hype up the match much. I don't even know what songs play in like 90% of the stages. The only one I can really remember is Emperor's Courtyard, but that is only because I always go to practice mode on that stage.

I really hope the music will be better in Injustice 2. Injustice 1 music wasn't great, but for me there were 2 memorable tracks in Wayne Manor and Fortress of Solitude. Besides that though, Injustice's music also wasn't very good.

Last edited:

TamedLizard

Buff George
Music in this game was mediocre to non-existent. Although I do like the main title theme/character select track. Having different musical tracks for each round was an idea I was really hyped about, and still kinda am. Just, when the tracks are lackluster, you obviously have a harder time noticing and enjoying it. But it's still an concept I'd like to see in future games, just with more personality.

Character designs however, are out of this world. Raiden, Kitana, Quan Chi, and Mileena, imo, have never looked better. (And say what you will about Kitana's face, but if you played any of the 3D games, you should have no quarrel with this current design lol) Quan and Raiden were more or less stuck with the same costume for years at a time, and the assassin sisters caught some relief from their usual scantily clad options. Seriously, would you ever have thought they'd give Mileena pants?

Then there's characters like Jax and JC whose alternate costumes offered a fresh new appearance to these characters who by nature, have a more blandish standard look.

On a final note, I'll say that the stages are beautifully rendered even if they also lack a bit of personality. The details on stages like the Kove and Krossroads still blow my mind.

Last edited:

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
The music indeed is really dissapointing, its like Dan Forden doesn't even try anymore, its uninspiring and quite bland. There are exceptions ofcourse, Emperor's Courtyard is probably the best track in MKX due to the simple fact that it sounds like the old tunes. MK Vs DCU had waaay better music ; Wu Shi Academy, Netherrealm and Apokolips ( and the menu music) are one of the best and memorable music in MK history. Another misfit that had superb music is Mythologies, every tune had its own personality and atmosphere.Just listen to this piece, if that doesnt give the feel of a gritty,evil and out of this world feeling I don't know what will.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=2eAidi7DmrM

Last edited:

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
graphics wise, everything was great. Except for the temple where you get flashbanged, even worse in alternate dimension unlock for it, like god just why. Also, from someone who plays infrared scorp - WHY is there an infrared scorp? also, NEVER make Reptile look like this again, aesthetically hes the only one who missed the mark. I think Ermac is kinda shit too but at least he has a great klassic skin, Reptile's Klassic is still corny.

NOBODY wants reptile without human ninja form.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Music can definitely use an improvement. Also I wish the training mode would allow us to set reversal to certain strings to see if it punishes even though training mode is pretty good already. The DLC characters have so much potential for alternate skins like Jason potentially having a Jason X costume or Tanya with MK4 etc.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
luckily most the rest range from good to amazing. Some stand out designs

Triborg is fuckin perfect aesthetically in all 4 variations. Amazing how well this was handled considering they share a base, and even the base stuff is a great for robot

kenshis aesthetic design is also great

alien, predator and jason are perfect, and they really FEEL like the characters

less special forces characters next time tho guys. fckin cassie and jacqui man

Raiderhorn

White Lotus
Very small but simple things that could make the game appear better..

I agree with everyone on the point that DLC characters need alternate skins.

I was surprised that with the introduction of the new Kounter mechanic, there is no stat tracker that awards EXP or Koins for performing them along every other function that you can perform in the game. An added stat tracker to this feature would have been a nice 'polish' of the game.

In Fatality practice, the option to select which fatality to appear on screen instead of having the first 'default' fatality show on screen would be great.

This game is also heavily focused on Towers and personally that got stale pretty fast. If a game is so focused on an idea it should be more rewarding in a way to make it worth playing or make that concept shine. Why have a concept that's in so many places in the game but much of it not worth doing? Something like battle skips (because these aren't able to be purchased) or even more titles and emblems with better than average EXP/FXP/Koin modifiers would be better. Something to keep you coming back instead of a 'one time play' deal. The living towers sort of touches on it but it's frustrating not having every kustom kombat modifier because you have to get lucky and play a tower on a certain time and certain day. They have this idea improved with the Injustice gear system in which new gear will drop all the time, making replay-ability of game features higher.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
reworking some characters that didn't work before due the technology of that time would also be a great idea, instead just don't rush new characters.

The MK Lore is so full of characters that can work and be playable at any point, characters that could be really interesting to explore.

Gods that are not Raiden
Fujin, Kajin (hinoka) what ever just call him fire god, water god, earth god.

Demons that are not Quan Chi
Sareena, Jataaka, Kia (this particular team has everything to work in MK universe, still don't understand why they only slightly tap into sareena)
Drahmin, Moloch

Warriors of past generation before MK1 and more lore characters
Great Kung Lao Shujinko, Argus, Delia, Taven and Daegon

Saurians that are not reptile
Khamaleon, Chamaleon

supernatural beings made of magic that is not ermac or Mileena
Skarlet

Everytime must be on the cast
Nightwolf, Kabal, Shang Tsung

Interesting concepts that didn't worked well before, this is 2016
Jarek, Reiko, Frost, Stryker, Darrius, Kobra, Hotaru, Havik, Nitara, Ashrah, Dairou, Li Mei.

I would easily pick 4 of these characters over any guest any freaking day.

And don't come with "This characteres are bland" bullshit, this is 2016, any of these characters can get a 2015 Scorpion treatment and look good, ascetically and gameplay wise.

The story mode for injustice and mkx is unmemorable for me. Mk9 story was amazing though. Mkx felt too much like a typical Hollywood superhero movie. I guess mk9 did too but it was old school at least

Reactions: D7X

Soul Caliber, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and SF.
Jacqui briggs have a terrible costume design that looks so lazy and simple.

Also i don't like the music from the main menu of MKX. I prefer highly Mortal Kombat: Deception's main menu music but in my opinion, i don't think it fits for MKX in general because the music it's too dark for this game IMO. I rather wait for the reboot of MK: Deception.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
People have been complaining loudly about the music since MK9.

It's both bland and very quite. They mix the audio in such a way you can't even hear it, like they know it sucks, and are ashamed of it.

Despite all the complaining, they have done nothing about it for Injustice or MKX.

Very disappointing.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
the towers challenges in MK9 are way more cool and fun than those towers in MKXL .... and overall, stages in MK9 are much better (design wise) than in MKXL .... anyway, NRS did an excellent job in the practice/trainning mode for MKXL, that is very useful indeed. Nevertheless, I hope they might overcome some fails here and there and make something better in the next MK title to be released in future (2019 maybe?)