What's new

Guide - Cyber Sub-Zero MKXL Cyber Sub-Zero Combo Thread (Updated 10-3-16)

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Cyrax mains have. :)
Dunno about the rest of you guys.
Unlike Cyrax, who has good damage still as well as keeping mixups/HTBs just in a different way now, there's nothing "good" left to find here. Only adjustments to a lesser version of a previous incarnation. How much "lesser" is subjective, and whether that is worth the energy is up to each individual player. But these adjustments are nothing like Cyrax just switching up the same thing.

Instead of f13 i replaced it with f4... ten frames and Im landing 30% combos. up to 34~35% with DE

f4 - bf1 , jip , b2 , RC 4, 21, f131 -db4

Do not drone enchance during combos lol

f13 - ice bomb on hit very hard to punish, and you can create setups depending on their reaction (i.e. b2 for jump ins or fadeaway dive kick/ feints, jip, run up and throw or 213, back dash f2) close dk (hitting as low as possible) timed with an icebomb is safe. dont know if reptile can punish have to go back in lab to see.

you can also cancel f13 into Drone. OR f131 into far/medium ice bomb setups (neutral)

212 can be used to end combos even after freeze to deploy ice bomb (i used enhanced since i hardly use meter) pressure 25~27 damage setups

F2 after a launch nets a free ice bomb

b3u4, dk whiff, njp, 4 - bf1 run up f2 gives free ice bomb into quasi htb lol.

ice bombs with varied timed dk seems to be the way to go. if an opponent jumps towards you meter burn (and if you have de) does good damage into combo if bomb connects.

Megatron_XVI

Current Mileena Player
Also doing 32 into f4 creates a frame trap for mashing opponents.

You can finish it on f43 for a +2 on block.

If f4 connects it can be cancelled for iceball and 27-30% corner carry combo.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Instead of f13 i replaced it with f4... ten frames and Im landing 30% combos. up to 34~35% with DE

f13 - ice bomb on hit very hard to punish, and you can create setups depending on their reaction (i.e. b2 for jump ins or fadeaway dive kick/ feints, jip, run up and throw or 213, back dash f2) close dk (hitting as low as possible) timed with an icebomb is safe. dont know if reptile can punish have to go back in lab to see.

you can also cancel f13 into Drone. OR f131 into far/medium ice bomb setups (neutral)

212 can be used to end combos even after freeze to deploy ice bomb (i used enhanced since i hardly use meter) pressure 25~27 damage setups

ice bombs with varied timed dk seems to be the way to go. if an opponent jumps towards you meter burn (and if you have de) does good damage into combo if bomb connects.
Great post man.

Only thing I'm not sure about is bomb Enders anymore. The hit adv is so low now that I'm thinking maybe it's better to do max damage Enders and keep the adv when you pressure rather than drop a bomb and lose your oki adv. Stuff like combo~F2 ender~Low bomb seems like it'll get us blown up once people relearn the MU, so max damage~Max ender~oki pressure may be a better route, especially against fast meterless reversals like Cassie's flip kick or fast S1 strings.

Megatron_XVI

Current Mileena Player

Alsodoing 32 into f4 creates a frame trap for mashing opponents.

You can finish it on f43 for a +2 on block.

If f4 connects it can be cancelled for iceball and 27-30% corner carry combo.

Great post man.

Only thing I'm not sure about is bomb Enders anymore. The hit adv is so low now that I'm thinking maybe it's better to do max damage Enders and keep the adv when you pressure rather than drop a bomb and lose your oki adv. Stuff like combo~F2 ender~Low bomb seems like it'll get us blown up once people relearn the MU, so max damage~Max ender~oki pressure may be a better route, especially against fast meterless reversals like Cassie's flip kick or fast S1 strings.

When I use 212 ender, the placement of the bomb can be used to be defensive or to apply pressure. After 212 the opponent is full screen and nothing (so far as Ive seen.. with teleports/slides) can punish a deployed ice bomb. They can try only to be full combo punished. Opponent can block, jump or run in... but thats where CSZ has options. CSZ simply jumping forward makes the opponent have to guess when (and if ) you dive kick. Long as you vary your timing and distances you will keep the opponent guessing. And as I said a well timed close dive kick in conjunction with a ice bomb is safe. Wiff close dive kick and try b3... into whatever flavor you like. You really wanna piss them off? you can nullify all jumping towards CSZ with mb ice beam lol. So that there also limits their options. All my combos are meterless anyway (besides b1 2+4). Im a bomb spamming fanatic i throw bombs at every chance i get. Cause panic by jumping around the screen or run in 213/throw.

f13 into icebomb I like because opponent can try to check you with a d4 or special but you have time to block.. and now they have a pending low bomb beneath them where you can instant dive kick or throw attempt... anyway thats what I been using. its just fun keeping the opponent guessing. And when they stop trying to check you, you can threaten with your jump ins or jump aways...

3 lost tons of advantage but now it can be used to tick throw being +12 on block now with less pushback on hit.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
When I use 212 ender, the placement of the bomb can be used to be defensive or to apply pressure. After 212 the opponent is full screen and nothing (so far as Ive seen.. with teleports/slides) can punish a deployed ice bomb. They can try only to be full combo punished. Opponent can block, jump or run in... but thats where CSZ has options. CSZ simply jumping forward makes the opponent have to guess when (and if ) you dive kick. Long as you vary your timing and distances you will keep the opponent guessing. And as I said a well timed close dive kick in conjunction with a ice bomb is safe. Wiff close dive kick and try b3... into whatever flavor you like. You really wanna piss them off? you can nullify all jumping towards CSZ with mb ice beam lol. So that there also limits their options. All my combos are meterless anyway (besides b1 2+4). Im a bomb spamming fanatic i throw bombs at every chance i get. Cause panic by jumping around the screen or run in 213/throw.

f13 into icebomb I like because opponent can try to check you with a d4 or special but you have time to block.. and now they have a pending low bomb beneath them where you can instant dive kick or throw attempt... anyway thats what I been using. its just fun keeping the opponent guessing. And when they stop trying to check you, you can threaten with your jump ins or jump aways...

3 lost tons of advantage but now it can be used to tick throw being +12 on block now with less pushback on hit.
Nice breakdown. I'll try some of this stuff out and see what kind of success I can recreate. Thanks man!

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
God this character is so fucking slow now. You can't trade full screen as well, his combos fucking suck. Yea people are finding new tech with 212 or F4 but it's just not the same. He feels sluggish as fuck

EDIT: The unenhanced iceball is BEYOND useless now. You can't zone with it and you can't really combo with it (unless you're punishing with 111...but not 11 cuz that would fail too! Why? Because Fuck you that's why.)

Last edited:

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
ngl highly dissapointed in the nerf train everything is just pointlessly unfair.
I can live with using the meter but the DK and scaling should have been untouched.
With that said I still wanted to lab him and here's the best I got from his shit.

(1 Drone already summoned)
111 xx EX Iceball, *wait for full damage tick* Ji2 B3U4 FDK, NJP, B12+4 ~ 31%
F13 xx EX Iceball, *wait for full damage tick* Ji2 B3U4 FDK, NJP, B12+4 ~ 32%

The same combo without the drone is 27%
If you Summon a drone mid combo and use the drone on the B12+4 you get 26%

THIS IS ALL FOR ONE METER.
I honestly could have sat here and been okay with not summoning a drone mid combo, I could have live with using the bar for his old damage.
This new damage scaling is beyond retarded however, F1/S1 punish will now always cost you a bar to get a combo, but will not allow you to get a drone up without losing damage, You've already lost damage on all combos and now they cost you a bar. This is madness.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
ngl highly dissapointed in the nerf train everything is just pointlessly unfair.
I can live with using the meter but the DK and scaling should have been untouched.
With that said I still wanted to lab him and here's the best I got from his shit.

(1 Drone already summoned)
111 xx EX Iceball, *wait for full damage tick* Ji2 B3U4 FDK, NJP, B12+4 ~ 31%
F13 xx EX Iceball, *wait for full damage tick* Ji2 B3U4 FDK, NJP, B12+4 ~ 32%

The same combo without the drone is 27%
If you Summon a drone mid combo and use the drone on the B12+4 you get 26%

THIS IS ALL FOR ONE METER.
I honestly could have sat here and been okay with not summoning a drone mid combo, I could have live with using the bar for his old damage.
This new damage scaling is beyond (soap bar in my mouth) however, F1/S1 punish will now always cost you a bar to get a combo, but will not allow you to get a drone up without losing damage, You've already lost damage on all combos and now they cost you a bar. This is madness.
I agree completely. But I was under the impression that 111 could freeze w/o using meter. Is it a distance thing?

Also, could CSZ ice bomb (dud) to build meter during the ice ball freeze? Seems like there's enough time, but I'd worry that the dud would scale the combo too.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I agree completely. But I was under the impression that 111 could freeze w/o using meter. Is it a distance thing?

Also, could CSZ ice bomb (dud) to build meter during the ice ball freeze? Seems like there's enough time, but I'd worry that the dud would scale the combo too.
Perhaps it is I tried this at its max reach pretty much and it didn't as far as I remember now, it might be one of those strings where you need to be touching balls to make it connect without meter.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
So I'm going to try to update the thread later today but here is something I have found out, both midscreen and corner:

If you use a DE in a combo then call a drone while the opponent is frozen, the damage scaling is only about 1-2%. If you do this in the corner off the a hard to blockable with a DE'd bomb, the damage scaling is only 1 or even 0%. So what does this mean? It means we must ALWAYS have at least one drone on us at all times if we want the opponent to take some decent damage.

Anyway, keep up the good work guys! B)

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I'm almost done updating midscreen combos, if you guys have anything to add feel free to post it!