What's new

MKXL at CEO 2016: TOP 8 IS SET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
A huge cultural shift is gonna be required before eSports becomes viable cable broadcasting. ESPN has been flirting with it for what like half a decade now and it still hasn't managed to bring in the ratings. Any fighting game is far down the totem pole for being picked up by a network due to their current size and demographic appeal. I'd wager that the unbundling trend will come to full fruition before eSports becomes "cable sustainable" which puts it even farther behind because it would need a huge audience to opt into the "eSports channel" since ESPN wouldn't be able to bundle it with their other channels. But hey, if it leads to better production values, the ability to see ALL of the pools and not miss part of the handful pools scheduled to be broadcast because of MAHVEL going into infinite overtime, and presumably a bigger audience which translates to a bigger scene then I'll be happy to pay a reasonable fee for it.
Hmm ok I work for ESPN and i know this isnt true

Turner episode 1 of their new esports show did over 860,000

that same week there were 10 MLB games that did less and ALL NHL PLAYOFF games did a third of that.

Every network right now i assure you is clamoring to figure out the best way to go forward w this. Many things are happening behind closed doors.

Biggest hurdle is Marketing beyond and logistics because a typical esports event is more like a 3 day poker tournament and Ninja Warrior (those things are really like 5 days long)

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
Hmm ok I work for ESPN and i know this isnt true

Turner episode 1 of their new esports show did over 860,000

that same week there were 10 MLB games that did less and ALL NHL PLAYOFF games did a third of that.
Can't comment on ratings that haven't been released or that I haven't seen yet. It probably would have been more accurate for me to say "traditionally haven't pulled in ratings" but nonetheless it took them until this year to "get serious" about it because of its niche nature. I'd be curious to see if those numbers sustain throughout the year.

Every network right now i assure you is clamoring to figure out the best way to go forward w this. Many things are happening behind closed doors.

Biggest hurdle is Marketing beyond and logistics because a typical esports event is more like a 3 day poker tournament and Ninja Warrior (those things are really like 5 days long)
Hopefully they can make it work. A bigger audience is usually not a bad thing so long as the culture isn't forced to change drastically to accommodate.. Like I said previously though, I'm dubious as to whether this can remain a viable thing when unbundling is gaining lots of traction; however, maybe the public's view of esports has shifted enough to take it seriously.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Can't comment on ratings that haven't been released or that I haven't seen yet. It probably would have been more accurate for me to say "traditionally haven't pulled in ratings" but nonetheless it took them until this year to "get serious" about it because of its niche nature. I'd be curious to see if those numbers sustain throughout the year.

Hopefully they can make it work. A bigger audience is usually not a bad thing so long as the culture isn't forced to change drastically to accommodate.. Like I said previously though, I'm dubious as to whether this can remain a viable thing when unbundling is gaining lots of traction; however, maybe the public's view of esports has shifted enough to take it seriously.

WATCHD0G

Noob
Top10 or stay home

Year 1 yes kenshi reptile and some other low to mid tier characters can have success. Once the NRS game developes the track record is startling

It's top 10 or stay home

No reptile have a chance at success at evo nor kenshi
Lol i tried to be a character loyalist but i found out VERY early and PAINFULLY that that is a fools errand, I'm with you on this one, when injustice comes out I'm gonna have at least three top 10 mains lol

Lost all respect that I never had for ForeverTierWhore... he had his 5min when he won with Pewdator who was OP as fuk.heh.xD

Status
Not open for further replies.