What's new

MK9: Unofficial Tier List Speculation, and/or Character Shenanigans Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope they are not so eager to please that they nerf before thinking of the consequences.
Honestly I don't even think NRS is really trying to please the casual fans. Sure they're listening to MK fans but they also have some pretty good designers with experience so I trust that every change they make is gone through careful consideration and not just blindly thrown out there.

I think NRS is more concerned about EVO and the general tournament scene than anything else. They obviously want to discourage people that only use "easy win buttons" like Raiden and Kung Lao because they want as much diversity in character usage as possible. If some characters are too easy to use or abuse, then it's going to end up hurting the scene more than anything. Let's face it, top players like to win, so obviously they'll pick characters that require as little effort as possible in addition to having the greatest reward and smallest risk.

DrDogg

Noob
Honestly I don't even think NRS is really trying to please the casual fans. Sure they're listening to MK fans but they also have some pretty good designers with experience so I trust that every change they make is gone through careful consideration and not just blindly thrown out there.

The more I think about the changes they made so far, the more I think they already had this planned. I think NRS is more concerned about EVO and the general tournament scene than anything else. They obviously want to discourage "easy win buttons" like Raiden and Kung Lao were because they want as much diversity in character usage as possible. If some characters are too easy to use or abuse, then it's going to end up hurting the scene more than anything. Let's face it, top players like to win, so obviously they'll pick characters that require as little effort as possible in addition to having the greatest reward and smallest risk.
I disagree with this. A quick look at the general UI and the training mode show that even if NRS was trying to cater to the tournament player, they lacked the knowledge to do so properly.

The game is great, but some very simple things that are extremely important to tournament players and organizers are missing. Not to mention the negative edge and buffering systems are terrible.

I would much rather see a proper record function in training mode, the removal of the negative edge and buffering (or at least tone it down), and the ability to customize your controls from the pause menu before any balance adjustments.

I feel pretty much the way you do Vulcan. I really dont think they spent all the time and effort making MK 9 and not insure its success. Mk is a great franchise and has been my favorite fighter since MK1. Killer instinct a close second,lol.

REO

Undead
0.0% chance sub-zero is not top 5.

in no order: Kl, raiden, sub, cage, NW, rept, cyrax .. those are the top 7 characters in the game.
Nerf them.

Remove Kung Lao's spin and low hat, Raiden's teleport, NW's shoulder, Sub's ice clone, Reptile's run, Cyrax's bombs, and Cage's :bp:fpF+:bp.

Baraka should be able to compete without being forced to counterpick in order to beat player 1. Baraka is fine, everyone else is too strong.

I would much rather see a proper record function in training mode, the removal of the negative edge and buffering (or at least tone it down), and the ability to customize your controls from the pause menu before any balance adjustments.
Agreed. :)

So is Nightwolf's f+3 going to be low now? It's almost identical to Kano's.
Last time I checked Nightwolf Shoulder Charge make opponent whiling to crouch to try to punish him, which open them up for is Lighting Bolts and Combo Strings with multiple overheads, in Kano's case there is little incentive or treat to crouch outside of a low kick or a sweep, you can Block High Kano stuff all day every day.

Don't get me wrong, if they fix Nightwolf :r:fk that would be good and boost his mixups, but he still have other tools to make them crouch unlike Kano.

lobo

woof.
this X100000000.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
You know Justin is using Raiden now....just saying. expect Mirrors :D
I'll be Dark Raiden.

So am I. And after they nerf Raiden, we'll all just go down the list until we eventually get to Baraka.
I think after this WNF, we will stop seeing Kung Lao mirrors, and start seeing Raiden mirrors.

I need to start messing with Baraka, this shit will go quick. :kratos:

lobo

woof.
it is about time some top players showed up to troll this nonsense nerf discussion into oblivion.

godspeed.

oZii

Noob
Dear Speculation and Tier Discussion posters,

I think what will for sure be best for the future of MK is if we don't talk about any of the characters in this thread unless its good. Its becoming pretty apparent that NRS is balancing based off our suggestions in this thread.

I would also like to apologize for saying that Kung Lao needed his spin recovery adjusted, Im sure that my last post on the issue swayed their decision to adjust his damage.

So for that I want to say I am sorry to you all. I just dont want anymore backlash because I didn't believe the Recovery window was fair on the Spin. I am sorry that I or anyone who transpired with me has caused these balance changes!!

Sincerely,

oZii

PS. DookieAgain has a very Nice Stryker played him last night. Stryker definitely has some good potential.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
Nerf them.

Remove Kung Lao's spin and low hat, Raiden's teleport, NW's shoulder, Sub's ice clone, Reptile's run, Cyrax's bombs, and Cage's :bp:fpF+:bp.

Baraka should be able to compete without being forced to counterpick in order to beat player 1. Baraka is fine, everyone else is too strong.
I realize I argued that players shouldn't have to pick from a smallish part of the cast to compete. But I'm bothered if the route that NRS is going to take is to reduce individuality and make powerful characters feel weaker.

Having a character that feels strong is a major part of most successful fighters. Frankly most of the success of Marvel 3 can, in my opinion, be attributed to the fact that even the crappiest characters in that game feel pretty broken.

So far MK has done a good job with that due to high damage and strong specials, and I don't want to see that change. Wanting more of the cast to be viable is not the same as saying the top tier should be obliterated, and I know I was overly aggressive in my arguments for why playing a character without a combo punish for Kung Lao's spin made the matchup feel very limiting. I apologize if I came off an idiot.

I want to see what this new patch brings to the table, but if their approach to balancing is going to be a constant weakening of whatever characters appear most powerful I think it's going to frustrate the player base, even those playing characters who indirectly benefit from the nerfs.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I hope Ermac doesn't get nerfed too much...(if he does)

Cyrax, Kung Lao etc I'm fine with their nerfs they will be getting.

If smoke loses his OTG smoke bomb combo that will definitely make him less annoying but I don't have a huge issue with Smoke.

I also don't see how blocking is broken, it's far better then MKDC's blocking was.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
Can I get a show of hands from players here that have played offline against competent opponents? Particularly against Kung Lao, Raiden, Sub-Zero, Reptile, Nightwolf, Johnny Cage, and Cyrax players?

*raises hand*

Can I then get a show of hands from players who have played offline at tournaments (doesn't have to be a major)?

*raises hand*

Can someone please tell me when this game was released and how many days it has been out since release?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Either they where being sarcastic or they meant the fact that you can crouch high attacks while blocking if you time it right.
Oh , I think that's just a result off the 2D plane no doubt;) in the older MK's you could block low a lot if someone did a round house or kara jab etc personally, I don't even see the point of mids in this game just highs and lows that's it being 2D lol. But that's just my opinion, I have no issues with the way it currently works :)

Status
Not open for further replies.