Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 10 - Everything we have waited for!

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I have heard rumors of the next MK game being 2D again... anyone else here this?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I have heard both.
McCarron said it was going to be the Unreal engine again, and I can see that happening.

For some reason I have a feeling it will just be a super tweaked version of the same engine, and collision detection and goodies similar to SSF4 if it is 2D.

They need to trash everything, and go back to their roots. Otherwise we will have another game that is only worth a week of play.
Nussen, don't be ruining my hopes and dreams, ok? ;)

ZAQ

Noob
They should make it exactly like SFIV, but with MK characters. :coffee:
Why not just buy more costumes :p

Sadly that would be better than where we are at now.

As long as there were no Ultras and character frame advancing when there shouldn't be.
OH! and MK juggles, and better hit confirmation / detection.

2D would still be much better. No 2.5D, no 2D with 3D models, 2D.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
When I asked/told Boon on twitter to make it 2D/like UMK3, his response was "hmm...". The fact that he responded to it made me interested, and that he responded with that peaked my interest further.

One can only hope.

Tim Static

Adminerator
When I asked/told Boon on twitter to make it 2D/like UMK3, his response was "hmm...". The fact that he responded to it made me interested, and that he responded with that peaked my interest further.

One can only hope.
MKvDC did have a MKII feel to it, + SS. :/

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I personally like 3D better than 2D, but how ever MK9 is made, it better be worth buying.
Going back to 2D would definitely be a big change from what we're used to but I cannot help but kinda like the idea..

I am anxious for MK9, that's all there is to it.

RoGE

Noob
Meh...I'd rather have a MKT revamp released for XBL and PSN, going back to 2D would give bad impressions for many people, especially with the graphics of today. I like the idea, but I think it may turn many off.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Meh...I'd rather have a MKT revamp released for XBL and PSN, going back to 2D would give bad impressions for many people, especially with the graphics of today. I like the idea, but I think it may turn many off.
Just like going to 3d did to many of the people who played it in the early days?

SFIV, SSF2HDr & MvC2 have shown how much people want and buy 2d fighters.

RoGE

Noob
Just like going to 3d did to many of the people who played it in the early days?

SFIV, SSF2HDr & MvC2 have shown how much people want and buy 2d fighters.
But from what SFIV showed, 2D gameplay can be implemented in a 3D game, so going back to 2D would be kinda pointless. Now that I think about it though, it would give it a lot of attention I guess.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I'd say they should use a faster, tweaked version of the MKDC engine...but with the MKA cast. And bosses don't have boss properties either... :D

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
SM2 with online co-op and vs would probably be epic.

Tim Static

Adminerator
It wouldn't be pointless. People only like SFIV because they have forgotten what a good fighter looks like and it resembles good fighters from the past.
They just settle for it, because it is one of the best current fighters.

3D MK has never been good. MK4 was that best '3D' (2.5D) game that they made and it has plenty of flaws.

If we are going 3D again, I'd rather have Shaolin Monks 2 with co-op, instead of wasting my time on another crappy, broken 3D fighter that people fool themselves into thinking is good.

Graphics are graphics, they can be used for 2D games just as they can for 3D. Imagine very detailed and well-animated 2D sprites (ala 3s) that are affected by stages, reflect lighting, fire, lightning, etc, with a dark MK2 theme.
The camera could be more aggressive than it is in 2D MK, which would change a lot. All it did in the 90s was scroll up, side-to-side, swap screens, or "bounce" to show collision and knock downs.

It would be hard for people to not be impressed with 2D MK with only minor tweaks and new characters.
AND FUCKING PATCHES FOR FUCKS SAKE
Amen brother!

Noob
Using the 3d graphics to replicate UMK would be great. It would have to have identical framerate and collision detection as well as animation to truly replicate UMK, but if something like Killer Instinct exists, where they used 3d models to make a 2d fighter, or even MK4 with the same thing, then a re-make of UMK with 3d models is completely plausible. If they really have the need to sell games based on graphics, then building off the UMK engine with 3d models is the way to go.

Ultimately, I'm tired of playing a Dragonball Z fighting game with MK characters.