What's new

MK9 PC Revival Thread:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I hope people who played the game at the highest level offline are consulted about balance changes, like REO, Dizzy, etc. This way there can be little argument, if we leave it up to the community, it will come out like shit. A camel is a horse designed by committee!
I guarantee that consulting people who are that attached to their characters would result in a lot of argument, just like it always has :(

The only true way to do balance is to try some things and then playtest them for a long time to see what happens, A/B test etc. But having a bunch of people sit in a virtual room and try to agree on everything for the 'perfect patch' will generally fail every time.

Last edited:
I guarantee the consulting people who are that attached to their characters would result in a lot of argument, just like it always has :(
Cyrax remove resets or decrease his damage so the resets don't deal so much damage.

Kung Lao honestly idk I just want roll to be able to combo into special or make b1 a few frames faster.

I could go really in depth but I just woke up.

I think you just have to fix a few things and the balance in the game is fine. Cyrax is #1 priority.

Kabal shouldn't be able to cancel EX nomad dash

Cyrax remove resets or decrease his damage so the resets don't deal so much damage.

Kung Lao honestly idk I just want roll to be able to combo into special or make b1 a few frames faster.

I could go really in depth but I just woke up.

I think you just have to fix a few things and the balance in the game is fine. Cyrax is #1 priority.

Kabal shouldn't be able to cancel EX nomad dash
UncleFestor

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

Happy New Year, by the way.

So the specific issue here, is that all of this speculation is about patching the game via TweakVars -- so that means that, there are a bunch of things game-mechanics-wise and character-mechanics-wise that can't be changed.

So to deal with trying to remove resets or fix reset damage through TweakVars, I'm guessing that you'd have to drastically alter frame data and either his overall damage scaling or the damage dealt by certain moves.. But the problem is that it'd affect the rest of Cyrax's overall gameplay, not just the resets; so you'd probably end up making the resets less effective, but ruining whole rest of his metagame as well.

Happy New Year, by the way.

So the specific issue here, is that all of this speculation is about patching the game via TweakVars -- so that means that, there are a bunch of things game-mechanics-wise and character-mechanics-wise that can't be changed.

So to deal with trying to remove resets or fix reset damage through TweakVars, I'm guessing that you'd have to drastically alter frame data and either his overall damage scaling or the damage dealt by certain moves.. But the problem is that it'd affect the rest of Cyrax's overall gameplay, not just the resets; so you'd probably end up making the resets less effective, but ruining whole rest of his metagame as well.
HPNY

Cyrax's entire meta game is landing resets............

With that said decrease his damage. So with one bar he only does 50% instead of 70%

That's something @HowardC & I are currently looking into. He already released an app a few months ago that allows you to morph into 3 different characters with ShangTsung {You use a config file to list the Characters you want to cycle through}

We are planning on expanding on that. Not sure if we can activate the Boss Script inside Shangs Char package yet.

But our goal is to have the character initiate the 1st morph (0 DMG, 0 Boost, No Opp reaction} and then cycle through all the characters @ certain intervals ( every 5 or 10 seconds for example) this would create a true Chameleon Character sorta like the one in the Challenge Tower but better
Man, 3 characters is more than enough. Shang should be able to change into other characters not only the opponent. That what the character was about since the first MK. The idea of a cycling through the whole cast in certain intervals is awesome. Shang should have a move that initiates that cycle. And if you think about it, it is balanced because you would have to play the whole cast randomly. There is no way to control that to your advantage only

Well instead of 91% he should just do 50% lol
Wouldn't that ruin him though? He'd be even more dependent on resets, if two entire full combos only add to 50% almost all of his moves would have to be drastically altered damage-wise. If it were possible, just make a second net in a combo cause a knockdown with like 30 frames of invincibility or something lol.

GGA Dizzy, hit me up on steam sometime when you're free. Maybe the two of us can learn how to use the system.

I'll be happy to help you out with that any way I can. I can't post the tools I use on this site without permission from the author But I can PM them to you and walk you through How to use them, How to change the Floats {Hex to float to hex} the easiest/fastest way to determine float parameter, etc.. then you guys can just go to town with the Tweaks. By next month I'll have a General map of the Data table that contains other floats not found in the TweakVars. That will also help out with character balancing some aspects.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I'll be happy to help you out with that any way I can. I can't post the tools I use on this site without permission from the author But I can PM them to you and walk you through How to use them, How to change the Floats {Hex to float to hex} the easiest/fastest way to determine float parameter, etc.. then you guys can just go to town with the Tweaks. By next month I'll have a General map of the Data table that contains other floats not found in the TweakVars. That will also help out with character balancing some aspects.
Now I haven't actually looked at the unpackaged files yet but I'm guessing each hex isn't labeled? We have to find out which one goes to which property of a move?

Man, 3 characters is more than enough. Shang should be able to change into other characters not only the opponent. That what the character was about since the first MK. The idea of a cycling through the whole cast in certain intervals is awesome. Shang should have a move that initiates that cycle. And if you think about it, it is balanced because you would have to play the whole cast randomly. There is no way to control that to your advantage only
Yeah, that's what we're hoping to achieve. Right now we have Shang Tsung {Thanks to HowardC's tool} with the ability to cycle in-between 3 different characters or 3 types of characters {Bosses, Npc's, Regular} With the last one needing to be specified.

HowardC is working on re-skinning Shang into Chameleon {With semi-translucent skin} and adding the ability to auto morph through the roster. {So yeah he'll actually be harder to play as cause you'll have 0 control of the character he morphs into } My only job is to handle the tweaking and beta testing tbh. I have very little up-to-date coding experiance so there's not much I can help with in that aspect. I'm just really good @ sifting through 100's of thousands of hex strings to find shit.

An example : The size of a tweakvars is from 2,000 - 5,000 Bytes long for an MKKE character {About 2 - 3 times larger for IGAU UE Characters}

Floats are 4-Bytes long So, there's between 500 - 1250 floats to look through just in the TweakVars. On MK9/MKKE it's a little easier cause we have tools that extract all the tables including the tweakvars. For IGAU UE I have to search manually inside each Char Package till I locate a section that looks like it might be the TweakVars and start mapping floats .

So it's a lotta work to do

Now I haven't actually looked at the unpackaged files yet but I'm guessing each hex isn't labeled? We have to find out which one goes to which property of a move?

Correct, But thanks to DigitalOverdose's Script we can extract the tweakvars from each character Package & a Data File that's converted to text containing all the offsets in the tweakVars with the corresponding Parameters {This is the Kitana table I posted earlier} So we can concentrate on the most important/easiest to decipher floats 1st. We have a text list of what Var. is @ each Offset which makes it much easier to start mapping the Floats

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Correct, But thanks to DigitalOverdose's Script we can extract the tweakvars from each character Package & a Data File that's converted to text containing all the offsets in the tweakVars with the corresponding Parameters {This is the Kitana table I posted earlier} So we can concentrate on the most important/easiest to decipher floats 1st. We have a text list of what Var. is @ each Offset which makes it much easier to start mapping the Floats
bah such a fucking chore!

lol,

Just imagine doing it directly in the Character Package with nothing to reference. There's no way possible to look @ a float and tell what it is or what it's used for other than Trial & Error { This is the main reason no one fucks with the TweakVars ;) }

gdf

Noob
UncleFestor

Sorry to abruptly come into this thread with random question, rather a few. Sifting through someone else's code can be a major pain, and I'm glad you and your friends have worked diligently on this, so feel free to reject answering my questions.

Are MK9's files encrypted similarly to Injustice (or what have you that has some code mixed in with arbitrary characters)?

Are you saying that you and your friends have found a way to decrypt/understand it?

Have you found how directional inputs function within the code?

UncleFestor

Sorry to abruptly come into this thread with random question, rather a few. Sifting through someone else's code can be a major pain, and I'm glad you and your friends have worked diligently on this, so feel free to reject answering my questions.

Are MK9's files encrypted similarly to Injustice (or what have you that has some code mixed in with arbitrary characters)?

Are you saying that you and your friends have found a way to decrypt/understand it?

Have you found how directional inputs function within the code?
Well neither of the 2 games have encrypted files on the PC. The files are compressed. You need the Unreal Engine Decompressor to Decompress the files to look @ them. The only thing you can clearly tell what is in them are the areas that have legible ANSI {This is the Text portion you'll find in a hex editor} The rest of the Packages are all Hex, so you pretty much just have to sift through everything till you can find something you can make sense of. IGAU on PS3 does have mko files inside the Char package that are encrypted {From what I've been told} but I might be able to use the app I have for PC to decrypt it. I would need someone to send me a fully Patched Char Package so I can look @ it or one from IGAU UE

As far as changing inputs required for movesets. I personally don't have a clue where to look for that info. There's no way to determine what string would be attached to what button/input without running the game through some type of assembly/Memory Viewer Like C.E. and that's well beyond my scope of knowledge

Reactions: gdf

gdf

Noob
Well neither of the 2 games have encrypted files on the PC. The files are compressed. You need the Unreal Engine Decompressor to Decompress the files to look @ them. The only thing you can clearly tell what is in them are the areas that have legible ANSI {This is the Text portion you'll find in a hex editor} The rest of the Packages are all Hex, so you pretty much just have to sift through everything till you can find something you can make sense of. IGAU on PS3 does have mko files inside the Char package that are encrypted {From what I've been told} but I might be able to use the app I have for PC to decrypt it. I would need someone to send me a fully Patched Char Package so I can look @ it or one from IGAU UE

As far as changing inputs required for movesets. I personally don't have a clue where to look for that info. There's no way to determine what string would be attached to what button/input without running the game through some type of assembly/Memory Viewer Like C.E. and that's well beyond my scope of knowledge
Thank you so much for answering my question in detail, and conveniently my follow-up questions. haha

Best of luck in your endeavors, and I'll see where to find the Unreal Engine Decompressor.

You can get all the neccessary unreal tools here :

[url] http://www.gildor.org/downloads [/url]

Btw people sleep on C.E. but in my experience it's the best open source tool for game Hacking.

If you have any Knowledge of Assembly {Maybe C++} you can use it to find damn near anything inside a package, how it's loaded in memory, what the game looks for when loading/deploying a package, Strings, Hashes, Etc..

I don't have any experience in Assembly {But I'm going to try and teach myself}, so when I look @ it I can't really tell everything I'm looking @. I've picked up on some of the shit in the Memory Viewer, but it hasn't been helpful to me yet.

gdf

Noob
That's really impressive, concisely put together like that. I really like how organized you have hacking put together, what to know and what to look for. Sorry if this seems abrupt, but I'll be damned to say that you are anything short of a genius(may have worded this compliment wrong, but American figures of speech still elude me from time to time). I also really like what C.E. has to offer.

I'll see if I can't hit up one or two of my friends in about a week, because I know at least one of them has a bunch of experience programming 8051 microcontrollers in Assembly.

Again, thanks a bunch, you are just awesome.