What's new

MK9 PC Revival Thread:

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
This is going to be a thread dedicated to reviving MK9 via player patching the PC version of the game. A lot of players, including myself, would still like to see the game being played at a competitive level. Most of us have a deep-rooted love for MK9 and would like to play, however there are some issues concerning the games balance as many characters are simply not viable at a high level of play. Additionally, some of the top tier characters need some rebalancing as they are either too complete (Ex. Kabal), have damage exploits (Smoke, Cyrax and Jax), or have some sort of fundamental issue with their gameplay.

The goal here is to put together a concise list of changes that can be made into a patch, which would then be downloaded by the community and played in tournaments.
First off, we need to find out if this possible. If anyone is able and willing to modify the game files for this patch let us know, the more the better of course :)

Secondly, we need to decide the course of action we’re going to take. I think it would be wise to buff the low tiers to start and fix the system if at all possible, then we can work our way towards tweaking the high tiers. This is going to take a while to its important that we fix what is most important first.

Things that need to be fixed first:
· Meter drain bug.
· Pokes universally fixed (no negative on hit pokes).
· Low tiers buffed.
· High tiers buffed after.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
My personal system change log:

- Meter drain bug fixed
- Input bug fixed
- Invincibility bug fixed
- All character’s D1s are now 6f in terms of start-up, +1 on hit and -13 on block.
- All character’s D3s are now 7f in terms of start-up, +3 on hit vs. standing, +10 on hit vs. crouching, and -7 on block.
- All character’s D4 are now 12f in terms of start-up, +10 on hit vs. standing, +3 on hit vs. crouching, and 0 on block.
- Invincibility bug fixed (Not as important since this is easily banned in tournament play)
- Cyrax invisible bombs fixed
- Smoke’s Ex Shake no longer has active frames when cancelled, fixing the freeze / permanent invisibility glitch.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Buff all low tier characters. Alot. Than nerf Kabal alot. Nerf the rest of the top 3 only slightly. Fix all glitches and online.

Might post more later. I would love to be the one patch MK9 lol

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Lol guys, you should understand that the modders of the game are no where close to modifying moves and glitches.

If you want to speed up the process, pick up modding and learn.

The PC version also has some fucking retarded issues with it that would make it a pain in the ass to play a lot.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Lol guys, you should understand that the modders of the game are no where close to modifying moves and glitches.

If you want to speed up the process, pick up modding and learn.

The PC version also has some fucking retarded issues with it that would make it a pain in the ass to play a lot.
Nobody wants instant results, over time things seem more and more likely.

At the very least it is worth a try, nobody truly knows what the modders are capable of, if we could get some insight from guys like TonyT it would be helpful.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
This is a pipe dream, and is likely to remain as one.

Modding the game to specification isn't just about tweaking some numbers/switches; maybe NRS did in-house because they have the source code. It involves dissecting the compiled code down to the last detail, finding the parts that compose the game's engine, venturing to make modifications, and then testing them exhaustively down to the frame (assuming the changes don't crash the game on the spot). Moreover, we don't know if the game's code has protection or is obfuscated to the point where attempting said changes is not feasible at all.

This is an undertaking that requieres a lot of work and dedication, and more importantly extensive expertise and knowledge in software engineering. Individuals matching this profile won't be easy to come by within the community.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
This is a pipe dream, and is likely to remain as one.

Modding the game to specification isn't just about tweaking some numbers/switches; maybe NRS did in-house because they have the source code. It involves dissecting the compiled code down to the last detail, finding the parts that compose the game's engine, venturing to make modifications, and then testing them exhaustively down to the frame (assuming the changes don't crash the game on the spot). Moreover, we don't know if the game's code has protection or is obfuscated to the point where attempting said changes is not feasible at all.

This is an undertaking that requieres a lot of work and dedication, and more importantly extensive expertise and knowledge in software engineering. Individuals matching this profile won't be easy to come by within the community.
Smash has done it with Project M, they've modded everything the game has to offer from frame data to animations to entire characters. It probably is just some far fetched dream a bunch of players have but it's worth finding out what exactly is possible. Of course a project like this would take a lot of time, again nobody is expecting this to be a fast project.

Guaging what is first possible is important after all.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Smash has done it with Project M, they've modded everything the game has to offer from frame data to animations to entire characters. It probably is just some far fetched dream a bunch of players have but it's worth finding out what exactly is possible. Of course a project like this would take a lot of time, again nobody is expecting this to be a fast project.

Guaging what is first possible is important after all.
I'm looking at the Project M page in the SmashWiki.

Some facts:
-It has 50 members from around the world.
-SSMB was released in 2008.
-The first mod was released in 2011.

Right off the bat getting a team nearly as big as Project M's is already a big barrier for this project. Second, it took them 3 years to come up with the first modded version of the game.

Smash Bros. has the luxury of being a legacy series. MK does not because of the constant system and engines changes throughout it's history. By the time anyone is able to come up with a modded version of MK9, MK10 will have already 1 or 2 years of active tournament life. Unless MK10 is a huge dissapointment the interest by the community at large in a modded version of MK9 will be close to null.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I understand completely whats going on. Cossner has it right. There is no SDK or modding tools that we can use. Modders are seriously are lost in this extremely odd encrypted code. Its so horribly ported from the 360 its like what the fuck lol

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
Buff all low tier characters. Alot. Than nerf Kabal alot. Nerf the rest of the top 3 only slightly. Fix all glitches and online.

Might post more later. I would love to be the one patch MK9 lol

I keep saying it. If MK9 got patched on Monday, no one would give a fuck about the Injustice patch on Tuesday.

This is coming from someone introduced to the MKC via Injustice.

Guys, I think we have better chances convincing NRS to patch the game than make our own patch. Even if this happens it will take a lot of time and people already lost interest. I doubt a patch created by players will bring people back. The only hope for this game to be "fixed" and continue to be played at tournaments is by a NRS patch.

CamChattic

Eternal Champion of Justice
I'm looking at the Project M page in the SmashWiki.

Some facts:
-It has 50 members from around the world.
-SSMB was released in 2008.
-The first mod was released in 2011.
Some more Facts
-Brawl is on wii so playtesting modifications to the code would be a bitch
-Brawl has its own engine that the team had to learn to make modifications in the first place and likely had to depend on advancements in the emulation community to fully understand
-Mk9 is on Unreal engine 3 Like 60 percent of the games made in the last 5 years are on unreal so everuone knows unreal hell even I know a bit of unreal 3
The patch definitely isnt a pipe dream all it needs is enthusiastic support unstead of the typical fatalistic TYM attitude and I'm Sure there are Modders out there who would do it just to put smiles on peoples faces.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
Yes at the moment its not looking likely. All the current modders are lacking the tool sets needed to change the mechanics of the game. Its way to encrypted at this point.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
am thinking of picking up the modding just to try my luck with this game..
all those links ZAQ posted above got my wheels turning

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
If you guys are serious about this, know that it will be work and it will take time. Good luck.
xSMoKEx CD jr
and $$$$$$$$$

Also the biggest problem w all this is IF it were to happen (it wont) it wouldnt be anywhere near ready until midway through MK10's run which at that point no one would care

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
MK9 NEVER DIES NEVER, im waiting for a patch in the pc version, but i understand is not easy to do.
I'm afraid that most of PC MK9 "community" thinks too highly of what can be done via patching (talking about PC-specific problems).
The main concern is that no patch will help with people who have wooden PCs and pneumatic internet connection. Or those trying to play people from other regions regardless of how good (or not) network infrastructure "between" those is. The thing is, I don't have any issues playing with anybody else. Then there are people who got used to the notion that ability to run a game @ 40 FPS and 140 ping is good enough. Generally true, but not for FGs...

And let's just say that I don't really believe the prospect of balance patch. I'm pretty sure that even before MK9 was first released in 2011 it was stated that even dev's own ability to tweak the game may be rather limited.

I know "ongoing" examples of games that are kept alive by modders, but it kind of helps that devs basically provided modding tools for them at one point. Now, it's not the case with MK...

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
At this rate we'll have fanmade balance patch for MK9 one day... Probably that'll be the day when MK10 will be out.