What's new

MK9 Frame Data Project

kuri

Noob
Some stuff from the Kitana thread:
Lomyn said:
Going to hold off on updating the main post with the hit data or posting block data. I need to double check a few punishes when I get home, but according to the method of holding UP on both controllers to jump and recording the difference in frames between when both characters leave the ground, Kitana's D+FP is at least -12 on block. If that's true, it can be punished with BP, FP, or at the very least another D+FP or D+FK. Can anyone check to see if they can punish her D+FP on block? I'm at work, otherwise it would do it myself.
I actually checked it, and it really does seem punishable, slowest moves I could punish it with were Kitanas b4 and d4 at 15 startup. Anything slower than that like Cages f2 didn't seem to work, but of course my testing methods weren't exactly super scientific (trying to control two characters at once, wahey). I did find it a lot easier to punish it with moves with fast startup (actually something like Strykers 4 will work pretty consistently) so it probably wasn't just me accidentally releasing block.

I'm almost certain Sprint is right about not being able to attack before being able to move. I tried hitting p2 character with stuff, then either holding up or mashing some fast attack on the other controller and couldn't see at least any huge difference in when you could either jump or attack and can't really see why there would be any. Pretty ghetto test but meh, at least the difference in timing between when you can block and when you can attack was obvious. I even used almost the same example with jump punches about blocking in Kitana thread, just with Raiden, heh. I guess what I'm trying to say is you can release the data you have collected on hit/block advantages without having to worry too much about it being wrong :p Really hate sounding like such a whiner, you guys are doing a fantastic job.

Lomyn

Snoctopus
why you leave kabal out?
I did it deliberately for no other reason than to spite you, and only you.

Just kidding. I'm sure it was an oversight.

I'll have more data going up tonight. Been practicing SSFIV getting ready for upcoming majors, so I've admittedly been slacking a bit. Mileena is done and ready for posting, so you'll see that for sure. I may bang out another character or two for good measure as well.

DrDogg

Noob
List them. Don't waste my time with rhetoric.
Try doing an "instant" crouch block. A good test is to try crouch blocking Nightwolf's shoulder ram on reaction (or even in anticipation). You'll get hit every time.

The first hit isn't always guaranteed to connect. In this case it's not particularly useful, but there may be situations where whiffing a move on purpose is practical.
Like when trying to punish a move with a low hitbox, it may be possible to connect for more damage with a string that starts with a whiffed crouchable move if the second hit comes out quickly enough.

Cyrax himself doesn't really benefit from this particular example as far as I can tell, but I'm not going to just pass my own judgement on this crap and leave out data that someone else may want to know.
I don't see how it's all that beneficial, so I don't think I'll be taking the time to calculate it, but if you'd like to do it I will add the information to the collected frame data.

why you leave kabal out?
No one is being left out. He's just not listed yet. As stated in the OP, every character will be completed.

I'm almost certain Sprint is right about not being able to attack before being able to move. I tried hitting p2 character with stuff, then either holding up or mashing some fast attack on the other controller and couldn't see at least any huge difference in when you could either jump or attack and can't really see why there would be any. Pretty ghetto test but meh, at least the difference in timing between when you can block and when you can attack was obvious. I even used almost the same example with jump punches about blocking in Kitana thread, just with Raiden, heh. I guess what I'm trying to say is you can release the data you have collected on hit/block advantages without having to worry too much about it being wrong :p Really hate sounding like such a whiner, you guys are doing a fantastic job.
The jumping method may or may not work, but the method I use to test hit/block data is confirmed to be 100% accurate (or at least as accurate as our execution frame data). So I will be using the methods I've already developed for this. It's a slower process, but I'd rather be confident in my calculations.

BATFIM

Noob
:confused: Didn't know that universal moves like uppercut have impact frames that can vary on a character basis as much as by over 100% (i7-i15).

DrDogg

Noob
Added Jax, Sindel and Liu Kang to the OP. I also updated Raiden, Cage, Sonya and Stryker with a few missing attacks (d+1, d+3 and d+4).

For Cage, I added the frames from a maximum range shadow kick. For Raiden I added frames for a max range Superman. For Stryker I added frames for a max range gun shot.

I may have more done before Tuesday of next week, but if not you won't see any updates from me until the following week.

kuri

Noob
DrDogg said:
The jumping method may or may not work, but the method I use to test hit/block data is confirmed to be 100% accurate (or at least as accurate as our execution frame data). So I will be using the methods I've already developed for this. It's a slower process, but I'd rather be confident in my calculations.
I actually forgot you already had a method for testing this, oops. Anyway, if the jumpy way gives even somewhat correct results it can be useful for people who can record gameplay but don't have a friend/gimp/hooker for testing reversals and such against eachother. I guess it's also a bit easier to do, then again I have no idea how much effort the whole recording-then-viewing-frame-by-frame thing takes. Which I'd guess is still a lot, heh.

Can we kabal lovers get included please?
Not sure if you're trying to troll or what but the OP has stated several times now that this thing is a work in progress.

It will be done when it's done. These people have lives and are doing this when they've got time. A lot of people here are waiting for characters not just you.

DrDogg

Noob
I'm super busy this week from Thurs - Sun, but I'll try to get at least Nightwolf and Sheeva done before then (maybe today?). Once those two are done, I'll start adding to my list. I'm thinking Sub-Zero will probably be first, but I'm not sure yet.

Next week I should have time to start getting hit/block frame data done. When that begins, I'll be starting with the characters who we already have execution frame data for.

What calculation method do you guys use to figure out exactly what are the frames? Maybe some of us could help you out with it if we knew how to measure it.

Also, are you guys going to wait for the next patch before continuing this project? (NRS are still tweaking start up and recovery frames as we speak so some info might change)

kuri

Noob
DrDogg said:
What I will be doing to test hit/block frame data (as soon as I find my PS3 component cable, or buy another one -_-) is to get execution data for all characters first, then perform an attack and see if it can be punished by the fastest attack in the game (Raiden's Superman, I believe). If it can't be punished, I then look for an attack that is one frame slower than Kitana's fastest move. I perform the move I'm testing, then mash Kitana's fastest attack and the selected attack to see which one wins. If the other attack wins, I move to an attack that is one frame slower and test again. I continue this process until I find an attack that Kitana beats, then add 1 frame to make up for the no trade issue. Does that make sense?
I believe this is what DrDogg is going to use for figuring frame data, which seems pretty laborous but if we assume we know what the start up frames are right it works. Of course you kind of have to take into account that it's impossible to do attacks at first possible frame consistently and all that (which is why it'll take a lot of work). Which is kinda why I like bringing up the "do stuff and hold up" method because while it might not give perfect results at least for crouching attacks it gives kinda good enough info for knowing whats obviously safe and what isn't. Clearly exact data is better than good guesses but I'll take anything that's available at this point.

I don't think it's a good idea to wait for NRS tweaks since they seem to be random about it, at least I haven't see a definite list of all changes so far anywhere on the net. Definite meaning "Josephs 342 chain was +2 on block, now it's -1", not some really ambiguos changes like "Reduced the damage on some special moves". As long as it seems like NRS doesn't feel like releasing any accurate info on frame data and such it's probably a good idea for the community to work on figuring it out.

DrDogg's method seems the safest. I might try something like that when I find time..

I just tried that jumping method earlier today for Stryker and I came up with really weird numbers. According to that method, none of Stryker's normals are punishable by Spin on block except 3, 4 and B2. But I know that's not true. Or at least I highly doubt it.

Few questions:

1. Can the opponent attack/reversal before being able to jump up?
2. Do all non-chain normals inflict a stagger state on hit?

Vulcan Hades said:
auto-block comes out faster than jump. While in a stagger state, opponent can't jump or backdash but he can still instant block. This is why you can't combo a +9 advantage into your 8 start up bk. Stagger/hit stun allows opponent to by pass your advantage and block in time. So the idea is figuring out WHEN the opponent is able to RESPOND with an attack or a jump (not when he's able to block like in SSF4).

There's also a lot of really weird oddities that really screw me up. For example B2, F2 has more advantage when it's not chained off a jump punch (wtf?). And advantage doesn't seem to always be the same if opponent is stand blocking or crouch blocking. It's weird. I'm starting to understand why NRS doesn't want to release frame data. That shit looks weird. It's a real nightmare to figure out.

You mean command normals (forward + :bk )?
Forget that question, I wasn't clear.

What I meant to say is that all chain combos in MK9 are pre-programmed. You can chain 3 into 1 but you can't chain 2 into 1 even though 2 has more advantage than 3 (for example). So I was wondering if they made all non-cancellable normals inflict some kind of stagger (which enables opponent to instant block) to prevent players from doing custom chains like D1 xx D1. On some attacks the stagger state is more appearent of course, but I think even D1 has stagger properties.. Anyway.

DrDogg

Noob
Sorry for the delay in updates, I've just been super swamped. I should have more characters done within the next few days and hit/block data by next week.

DrDogg

Noob
I've been super busy, but since the patch is so close I'm trying to wait for that before I continue. Assuming we get the patch next week, my main priority is to start hit/block frame data, but you'll also see more execution frame data. If all goes well, I may have all execution frame data done by the end of next week. Aside from the weekend, next week is my first free week in awhile, so I'll be looking to get some work done on the frame data.

DrDogg

Noob
I finished Sheeva's execution frames and added it to the OP.

http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?7294-Sheeva-Frame-Data

I have the capture done for Nightwolf and Kabal, but I don't know if I'll finish them tonight. If I don't do either tonight, I'll get to them by Monday.

EDIT:

I went ahead and finished Nightwolf and Kabal execution frames. I'm not sure who I'll do next, but I'd really like to get some hit/block frame data done, so I'll see if I can get a second person to help out on Monday.

Nightwolf: http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?7295-Nightwolf-Frame-Data
Kabal: http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?6444-Kabal-Frame-Data&p=84674#post84674

Thanks again for doing all this. Really appreciated. :)

So is the jump method good enough to estimate adv on hit/block? That's what I tried for Stryker but I'd like to know what you guys think..

Albo

Noob
Apologies if nr have already answered this but why did they not just release this data considering they most likely have it written down somewhere in the studio. How do they expect this game to be played by tourney players to be its full advantage when the don't have the official correct frame data. It would`ve saved people a lot of time especially when figuring out updated data after a patch or hotfix.

Zebster

How's my volume?
Apologies if nr have already answered this but why did they not just release this data considering they most likely have it written down somewhere in the studio. How do they expect this game to be played by tourney players to be its full advantage when the don't have the official correct frame data. It would`ve saved people a lot of time especially when figuring out updated data after a patch or hotfix.
Because they don't have it written down. It isn't programmed by frames apparently and just advantage/disadvantage.

What I really want though is some collision box info.