What's new

MK9 and SF4, how comparable?

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
MagicMan, just stop talking. You're embarrassing yourself every time you talk. And it's not only on this thread.
And how is that?

Guess im in the pile with alot of other people then

and if you are talking about the kano damage stuff, lol i was trolling

jtom

Noob
The meter management game is more in depth in MK.
MK does have a solid meter. but to say it is 'more in depth' than SF's is false. Im not arguing one is superior to the other, but i broke it down below.

in MK you can use an enhanced attack to prolong/add damage to a combo. in SF you can do the same. the only difference is in execution, in MK you press a button, in SF you have to FADC (several inputs).

in MK you can break a combo. in SF you can prevent a punish by canceling out of unsafe attacks. slightly different concepts, but both defensive uses of meter. in MK you break a combo by pressing a button, in SF you have to first hit confirm, then FADC, then either combo or escape. also, the combo break function allows MK players to play mindlessly aggressive. in SF, while canceling out of unsafe attacks allows a player to take some risks, the onus still falls on the player's knowledge of spacing/footsies etc to not take damage. in other words, MK gives us a get out of jail free card, and SF gives us a guide on how not to go to jail.

in MK you can build meter into xray. in SF you can build meter into super. IMO, both xrays and super's have roughly the same utility in terms of their combo'ability as well as raw usage. and once again to xray in MK you press a button and to super in SF there's a series of character specific inputs.

MagicMan357

MK does have a solid meter. but to say it is 'more in depth' than SF's is false. Im not arguing one is superior to the other, but i broke it down below.

in MK you can use an enhanced attack to prolong/add damage to a combo. in SF you can do the same. the only difference is in execution, in MK you press a button, in SF you have to FADC (several inputs).

in MK you can break a combo. in SF you can prevent a punish by canceling out of unsafe attacks. slightly different concepts, but both defensive uses of meter. in MK you break a combo by pressing a button, in SF you have to first hit confirm, then FADC, then either combo or escape. also, the combo break function allows MK players to play mindlessly aggressive. in SF, while canceling out of unsafe attacks allows a player to take some risks, the onus still falls on the player's knowledge of spacing/footsies etc to not take damage. in other words, MK gives us a get out of jail free card, and SF gives us a guide on how not to go to jail.

in MK you can build meter into xray. in SF you can build meter into super. IMO, both xrays and super's have roughly the same utility in terms of their combo'ability as well as raw usage. and once again to xray in MK you press a button and to super in SF there's a series of character specific inputs.
i agree with everything except the mindlessly aggressive

You should go watch the SVB matches that have been posted. Youll see what happens when overly aggressive.

Altaire

Noob
Lol? You do realise that MK9 is at version 1.04 within a couple of months where SSF4 is technically 1.03 within a couple of years? And they actually added content with the upgrades, not just fix stuff that is broken? Okay, the last patch to MK didn't really change anything except add a character and 2 costumes, I'll give you that. Offcourse SF4 isn't perfect, but compared to MK9...
...Is this a fucking joke?

Yes, NRS has been slowly tweaking MK9 by way of free patch updates, though it hasn't had a drastic impact on the tier list outside of a handful of characters moving up and one or two moving down. Capcom makes you pay money for a completely rebalanced Street Fighter once a year, where it isn't even the same game anymore. Compare the tier lists from vanilla to Super to AE. Look at how much fluctuation there has been for Bison, for Sagat, for Honda, for Fei. Going from Super to AE is playing a different game altogether, even if you take Evil Ryu, Oni and the wonder twins out of the picture.

I like both MK9 and SF4, but at this point, you're just coming across as a fanboy who's desperate to save his series.

jtom

Noob
Going from Super to AE is playing a different game altogether
thats a bit of an overstatement. we're talking about relatively minor tweaks to startup frames, recovery frames, invincibility frames, changing a pokes dmg to 50 from 40 etc... and while its true minor changes like that can move a character up or down a tier list in SF, it doesnt for the most part affect how a character is played.

take ryu for example, he got the nerf stick bad from capcom... and look at the Valle v Daigo match at EVO. Valle played Ryu just as he always has and was a couple misreads away from beating the best player in the world (who also happened to be using the most OP character in the game).

Sasuga

Noob
...Is this a fucking joke?

Yes, NRS has been slowly tweaking MK9 by way of free patch updates, though it hasn't had a drastic impact on the tier list outside of a handful of characters moving up and one or two moving down. Capcom makes you pay money for a completely rebalanced Street Fighter once a year, where it isn't even the same game anymore. Compare the tier lists from vanilla to Super to AE. Look at how much fluctuation there has been for Bison, for Sagat, for Honda, for Fei. Going from Super to AE is playing a different game altogether, even if you take Evil Ryu, Oni and the wonder twins out of the picture.

I like both MK9 and SF4, but at this point, you're just coming across as a fanboy who's desperate to save his series.
Why would it be bad that the differences between two revisions make for two essentially different games? The way I see it, they make you pay for added stuff. The re-balancing is included. But that's just my way of viewing it. Looking at SSF4AE as if it were 1.03 in MK terms of course isn't realistic. Releasing 4 independent DLC characters and a couple of free patches isn't that much different from bundling them all together as a new revision. With MK you just don't get all of it at once.

This thread is slightly putting me in a position where I would be 'trash talking' about MK, which is not my intention. I like MK otherwise I wouldn't even be here. It's all a matter of preference and how you look at the two. But really, comparing MK to SF is like comparing a shotgun to a samurai sword or comparing Western culture to the Japanese. That's where I'll leave it at. If I can manage not to get trolled be a certain MagicMan again, lol.

MagicMan357

Why would it be bad that the differences between two revisions make for two essentially different games? The way I see it, they make you pay for added stuff. The re-balancing is included. But that's just my way of viewing it. Looking at SSF4AE as if it were 1.03 in MK terms of course isn't realistic. Releasing 4 independent DLC characters and a couple of free patches isn't that much different from bundling them all together as a new revision. With MK you just don't get all of it at once.

This thread is slightly putting me in a position where I would be 'trash talking' about MK, which is not my intention. I like MK otherwise I wouldn't even be here. It's all a matter of preference and how you look at the two. But really, comparing MK to SF is like comparing a shotgun to a samurai sword or comparing Western culture to the Japanese. That's where I'll leave it at. If I can manage not to get trolled be a certain MagicMan again, lol.
you just trolled yourself

MagicMan357

I'm just going to thank 'this guy' for all his troll attempts.
Explain how im trolling? I love this cop-out when people dont have an actual coherent argument.

Next youre going to keep saying "thats your opinion"?

Or maybe youre reverse trolling...HAHA!