What's new

MK9 and SF4, how comparable?

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Aside from the various incarnations of Mortal Kombat, I've only played SF2 and Soul Caliber 4. Right now I'm playing and loving MK9, but I'm considering picking up SF4 after I receive my Hori Fighting Stick V3 in the mail.

How comparable are the games? Will playing SF4 improve my MK9 gameplay, or are they completely different games? How is the online component compared to MK9?

Cheers!

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
It never hurts to expand your fighting game horizon. The more fighting games you play, chances are they will improve your skill in your main game. I have SSF4AE but honestly I have not played it yet lol. Playing multiple fighting games won't really hurt you because there are basic mechanics that apply to EVERY fighting game. Punishes, pokes, zoning, etc. are all concepts featured in basically every fighting game.

Eight

I am the salt
I just got SF4AE for my bday

Maybe its just me- but I'm having a ton of trouble translating my MK skills to SF.

That and the inputs are going to give me carpal tunnel on my fightpad.

I just got SF4AE for my bday

Maybe its just me- but I'm having a ton of trouble translated my MK skills to SF.

That and the inputs are going to give me carpal tunnel on my fightpad.
Happy late Birthday, man! :D
Yeah..the inputs/general strategy are COMPLETELY different than MK, Especially if you transitioned from MK to SF.
I got SF one day after I got my first stick, Played Akuma a bit, haven't really played much of it since.
I do enjoy the game, just don't see myself getting far.
AND...CitizenSnips pretty much summed it up. :)
You can NEVER have too much fighting game experience under your belt.

Have a great day everybody.
~Hound

D_W

The Could-Have-Been King
Like CitizenSnips said, the fundamentals will translate. The vast difference in execution will be the biggest thing to overcome though.

shano

Noob
The online is 1000x better you need much more execution and timing and you actually have to link your combos together instead of dial a combo they are both great games i prefer SF though.

SSF4 is super fun and thankfully the netcode and training mode are great so you'll have a blast for sure.

Only thing is links and FADCs are extremely hard for beginners. When I started playing SSF4 I remember I couldn't even do a 2 hit link. I couldn't find the right timing and I had a lot of trouble canceling the Focus Attack into a dash into another move in the middle of combos. That's probably what's going to turn off many casual players.

For people having trouble and don't understand links, it works like this: When you throw out a poke, you have to wait until the animation is completely over and back to idle before linking it to the next poke. If you press it a few frames too late or too soon it won't combo and the opponent will be able to block. 2-3 frame links are usually easy enough to do but some characters have very though 1 frame links that even pro players have sometimes trouble doing, so they "plink/piano" the buttons to maximize their chances of getting the frame.

The reason why links are important is because that's what you use to hit confirm into special or super.

But SSF4 and MK9 are very different. Footsies and Zoning is different. In MK9 jumping is encouraged and the best way to start or escape pressure, in SF it's the worst thing to do in a match (unless you jump after an untechable knockdown which grants you a safe jump pressure).

btw anyone interested to up their game at SSF4 need to check out Vesper Arcade's tutorials on youtube:

There's like 11 chapters but it's really worth checking them all out. This guy covers everything from the basics to very advanced stuff like option selects and kara-canceling.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
Vulcan said it perfectly. I bought it a few days and wow... It's a long road until I become a decent player.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
SF4 definitely has a higher entry level then MK and I'm sure that turns a lot of people off. It's a lot more footsie and execution based than MK, but I do think playing more fighting games can only expand your knowledge and make you better at them as a whole.

MK is more fun imo, but I'll keep playing SF because just because of the knowledge and skill it provides.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
SF4 definitely has a higher entry level then MK and I'm sure that turns a lot of people off. It's a lot more footsie and execution based than MK, but I do think playing more fighting games can only expand your knowledge and make you better at them as a whole.

MK is more fun imo, but I'll keep playing SF because just because of the knowledge and skill it provides.
SF4 is no fun at all compared to MK, I just learned that.

I tried... err... I think it was Super SF before MK came out and I just couldn't get a hold on it. It almost drove me nuts, but I'm thinking about picking up AE, hesitant only because of the shit I've heard about it. Combos are haaarrrd. I'll have to check out Vulcan's videos.

I just wish they woulda kept it like UMK3 but with the new cool modern graphics and all that modern jazz. IMO, UMK3 has to be one of the best fighting games ever, It's so damn original, with such a unique fighting system that I have yet to see in another fighting game ever. And man those sound effects on those friggin arcade speakers. For some reason the umk3 machines in the arcades had some bad ass sound systems. As soon as you'd walk in you'd here that disturbing bass and legendary MK gibberish from a mile away. I miss those days :( Thats the last one I ever played until this new one. And to be honest I like UMK3 better. This nw one is awesome but I like oldschool stuff, lest techincal I guess, Im kinda braindead so it suits me lol

I'll leave all those carpal tunnel syndrome causing technical shenanigans to those crazy Japanese. I want to enjoy a game, not end up with a painful hands preventing me from wiping my butt after I poop lol

So there would be no way for me to say "Hey, I enjoy playing Kabal and Quan Chi in MK, any idea who I would enjoy in SF before I go blow money on it?" :confused:. Because I want to know anyways.

So there would be no way for me to say "Hey, I enjoy playing Kabal and Quan Chi in MK, any idea who I would enjoy in SF before I go blow money on it?" :confused:. Because I want to know anyways.
IMO The change is quite drastic. I played SS4 a few times when it first came out and was like WTF? Thing is the last SF i had played prior to that one was SF2 LOL. For me it's too technical, I just cant click with it. And all those crazy inputs are too much for my clumsy stiff hands.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I just wish they woulda kept it like UMK3 but with the new cool modern graphics and all that modern jazz. IMO, UMK3 has to be one of the best fighting games ever, It's so damn original, with such a unique fighting system that I have yet to see in another fighting game ever. And man those sound effects on those friggin arcade speakers. For some reason the umk3 machines in the arcades had some bad ass sound systems. As soon as you'd walk in you'd here that disturbing bass and legendary MK gibberish from a mile away. I miss those days :( Thats the last one I ever played until this new one. And to be honest I like UMK3 better. This nw one is awesome but I like oldschool stuff, lest techincal I guess, Im kinda braindead so it suits me lol

I'll leave all those carpal tunnel syndrome causing technical shenanigans to those crazy Japanese. I want to enjoy a game, not end up with a painful hands preventing me from wiping my butt after I poop lol
:congrats:

IMO The change is quite drastic. I played SS4 a few times when it first came out and was like WTF? Thing is the last SF i had played prior to that one was SF2 LOL. For me it's too technical, I just cant click with it. And all those crazy inputs are too much for my clumsy stiff hands.

I agree. When I have tried out practice mode, it makes me rage. Inevitably. Every. Single. Time. Rage.

yeah, there literally are no equivalent characters between games, pretty much. there's basic character archetypes, like zoning characters, rushdown characters, grapple characters etc, but nobody truly has similar mechanics to kabal or quan chi.

omg i hope sf 3 third strike or ST players dont read this thread ...

:/

As a hardcore SSF4AE player I'll tell you flat out, execution in SF is on an 8-way axis instead of a 4 (so what is Down Forward to us is Down Down-Forward Forward to SF) SF also supports shortcuts (which will drive you insane at times) but makes some things easier on you.

To be blunt, SF is a much more technical game and at the lower echelons of play outdoes lower tier Mortal Kombat play easily, it has a lot more systems and its very footsie based. It will teach you some good habits if you learn to play it, and it's a good jumping point to a large variety of other fighting games.

Personally I just picked up Blazblue CS2 with my cousin recently for the sake of expanding our skillset, Blazblue is a very very fast paced fighter with so many mechanics (Air dashing and Air blocking, Breakers, Parrying (like block parrying), Push Blocking, Fatalities, Hypers, each character even has a unique mechanic) it's taught me a lot and its inputs are very specific and because of that (similar to 3rd Strike) its made me a lot better at fighting games in general when it comes to executing and timing what I want when I want. It is a very skill-intensive game and I'd recommend picking it up if you want to learn some advanced fighting game techniques that branch into other fighting games well.

But SF is a great game, don't let Capcom haters drive you off or complain about it, to each their own on the fun factor but it was my first fighting game (save for Soul Calibur) and it really brought me into the genre as a whole. Enjoyable characters, great gameplay, and competitive factor even at lower ends makes for enjoyable gameplay.

Oh and coming from Mortal Kombat, block stun is nill in this game, so do NOT throw crap out just to put pressure most of the time, you'll do a lot more baiting than you do in MK (where you can randomly throw out some strings without fear of retribution at times just because of the insane block stun comparatively)

To break down big name fighting games that will teach you skills (if you seek to improve your skillset)
Street Fighter 3rd Strike (Parrying, Exact Execution, tight combos, Hypers) - Very specific combo windows and execution required for your moves, a parrying system that with proper timing and practice you can fully negate even the most ridiculous moves if you're skilled enough. Very skilled, very intricate, highly technical footsies game. 8-way Axis.
Street Fighter 4 (Focus attacks, Loose Execution, tight combos, Hypers) - With things like focus dash cancelling and tight combo windows, SF4 can teach you a lot of good techniques and reactions, as well as improving your footies game across the board. It teaches you how to pressure without putting yourself in compromising positions and teach you a skillset that easily transfers to other fighting games. 8-way Axis.
Marvel vs Capcom (Air blocking, push blocking, super jumping, hypers, loose and tight combos) - Its a very juggling game, you're playing with three characters and studying their assists, and how they interact with eachother to perform the largest combos. It has a lot of baiting, a lot of footsies, and a ton of positioning. 8-way Axis.
BlazBlue (Everything) - Blazblue's combo system is a little loose at times, but has some tight ones as well, this game will teach you the epitome of timing and reaction when appropriate. Characters have a large variety of tools, every one of them is unique to an extreme degree (some feel like they're from other fighting games entirely). It has so many systems pulled from other games that it will VASTLY improve your technical aspects when you return to playing other games. It taught me how to properly dash with a fight stick. Also its absolute insanity when both players know what they're doing and it'll greatly improve your reaction time. 8-Way Axis
Mortal Kombat (Breakers, EX attacks, hypers, fatalities) - Mortal Kombat has heavy hitstun and a good mix of loose combos and tight ones, a lot of its earlier combos (dial-a-kombo into special) are really easily, put off some nice damage, however some of its later combos require extreme execution and buffering/cancelling to properly perform. The breaker system is very nice (but never carry the habit of it into other fighting games, as, save for Blazblue, they really don't have such a thing) and gameplay is super fast paced mental chess at the higher levels. Will teach you how to tighten your combos and effectively dish them out more properly since the entire game revolves around them to an extreme degree. Also, mind games. 4-Way Axis

SF4 is great to pick up if you want to improve on your technicals, blaz-blue as well from another angle. They are just so vastly more technical and difficult pulling off items in MK will seem like easy mode.

I won't get too far into it unless you really want information, but here is what you should know starting off. Go into training mode and start trying to do combos. MK is kinda an auto combo game, you just dial through them. You can be sloppy as hell and they will still come out, it's really effortless and simple. In SF, not the case at all. A lot of the combo's rely on multiple one or two frame links which are extremely hard to do and they require proper spacing. So while in MK you can pretty much watch a combo video once, walk up and land long combo's on the first try with no effort, in SF you're going to struggle to even get 5 hits in because you have to be fucking perfect.

Or take x-ray vs combo into ultra. Not only are the motions and inputs for an ultra harder than they are for an x-ray, but the most common set-ups (FADC) can be a pain in the ass to do and you really need to land it.

Even if you don't like SF (and you should, it's fun) it's worth tinkering around with just so you get used to doing complicated links and other items that MK lacks. You're execution will improve a ton.

Playing other games is always good, I don't really like MVC3 but it's worth playing. It's faster than anything else out there. Playing MVC3 makes everything else seem like you're playing in slow motion. My response time and ability to think on the fly improved a lot by playing MVC2/3 as nothing else touches them for the sheer pace of the game.

Just prepare for a lot of frustration and cursing if you aren't familiar with one frame links and plinking and other items. It can be frustrating.