What's new

MK9 and SF4, how comparable?

Panque

Random foreign guy
MvC3 is funnier to watch and MK seems funnier to play. Both seem to be at a close level to SFIV when it comes to competitive play *AT HIGHER LEVELS*. Like cyke_out said, pros hit combos almost every time anyway. Sure, there is the depth off footsies and all that, but I don't think that alone makes the game so much better. Actually, I believe in the end of the day, reads are the most important factor in good fighting games, from scrubs spamming each other to pros winning world championships.

That said, I believe SFIV is really good, maybe even better than MK (Even tho I personally prefer the later), but it is also a hell of an overrated game. Just can't stand the effort some people (Not here, but in the rest of the interwebz) make to try to make this game look like it's the best fighting game ever. That is just NOT the case.

EDIT: @FlsGd2BAgngsta That means it is harder to get good, but does it really means it is harder to be THE BEST? MK seems more forgiving to the noobs and has an easier learning curve, thats for sure. But all learning curves reach 89.9º at the top of it, unless the game is shitty balanced or pretty simple. I do believe you should respect both Perfect Legend and Fuudo (For instance) at a close (If not equal) level.

Well....

I can play (drag MK into this) subzero, scorpion, and smoke the same way... toss projectile if it hits uppercut them, if they jump in uppercut them, thus they must be the same!

Saying the "shoto's" are the same is reducing it to that level almost. And Gouken and Rose have as much to do with "shoto's" as say Ibuki or Guile.

Since you aren't familiar with SF let's do this!

Ryu- based off zoning. His fireball is the best out of all of them. He's got the most ways to set up his ultra so he's very dependent on it, and his moves are generally safe. He's a god at footsies in some cases as his crouching MK is very strong and comboing it into his FB is pretty much safe. His punishing combo's are all fairly strong, and he has an air juggles and a few quality command normals.

Ken- has generally (other than 3s) been by far the weakest of the lot. His multi hit DP is good for combos but not so much as an AA, his fireballs aren't all that good either, he's got crap for ways to combo into his ultra. However his command normal kicks move him around insanely well and set him up for kara throws, which is his entire game in a nut shell. He has some great combos and as his spin kick doesn't knock down he can use that a bit for pressure and some fun combos.

Akuma- no life at all he's a glass cannon. Has extreme run aways games with air fireballs and teleports. Has more options than any character (but seth) at any point in time. Has a massive vortex game due to demon flips and other tricks that is hard as hell to break and shreds people. Get's a ton out of FADC'ing normal moves and has no way to combo into his ultra. His ultra however is a command grab that can be used with certain traps.

Really, unless you approach them as "toss fireball dp when they jump over" they have almost nothing in common. And nobody really plays like that anyways.

Goken on the other hand... has no reverse at all, no real traps or tricks either. He's pretty far from them in all aspects, his move list isn't the same either. However he has great juggles to push into the corner and utterly rape people, and he can't throw into ultra setting up another pressure.

Not at all alike.

Or take Gief and T-hawk... other than being large and having a command throw they have nothing in common. Gief has his spin to counter and green hand to get in and a fairly good mix up there. T-hawk is a poking god at most points and plays a strong arial game.
Again, I admitted that I am not that great a fighting gamer, and I personally found SFIV to be too frustrating to dive into.

I just think that the shotos play, for the most part, the same unless you're in high level play, which I'm not a part of.

reading through this thread i'm starting to not understand why some of you bother to support this game or come on this forum. i didn't know i could literally be a mortal kombat evo champion in a matter of weeks and that the best strategy is to throw attacks out into the fray randomly. :\

mk always changes stuff for no reason. people like some things about mk2, or umk3 gameplay? doesn't matter. get rid of hp,lp,hk,lk, blk. oh yea,
make raiden's projectile d,b, instead of qcf+lp. ?

that's the difference.
agree, this and changing the art style almost every single game is a big FAIL of them. SF has remained the same but just improved (up-graded) the mechanics and art style. also is SF4 made for hardcore players, and doesn't try to add more fans to there community by making it noob friendly like boon does.

im definitely MK fan, but i can't deny that SF4 is better than MK9 in most if not all aspects. its like you compare metal gear solid to splinter cell.

now that MK is produced by NRS the art style is looking like a warner bros game and the animations look like they come straight from WWE smackdown... o and the music isn't MK @all.

cyke_out

Noob
If this thread was just about Sf on the whole i might concede that it has the edge over Mk, but since it's about SF4, I can amazed that people think it's a good game. so many things are wrong with it and it holds your hand way more than MK does for everything other than pointless combo's with the linking system.

Free ultra every round
Very little meter management
Auto-corrects
input shortcuts
HUGE reversal windows
Option selects

The game was designed to bring in new players with easier hand holding mechanics, yet shoehorns a linking system separate from chaining normals to appease the "hardcore" crowd.

Kwon

---->----
SF4 can be fun to watch when you're in the mood for cartoons and a lightshow, MK9 is more fun to play and the better game for mature players.

jtom

Noob
all i gotta say is there are a lot of people in this thread who either play MK exclusively, or, clearly have very little experience playing SF competitively that are spouting off their opinions as if they are facts.

the depth of SF's gameplay far exceeds that of MK, period.

this is coming from a guy who has played SF his entire life and has recently been playing MK exclusively because i enjoy it more.

i just fail to understand why people feel the need to defend the game that they prefer by making false or unfounded statements about its competitor. i like MK, but i am under no illusion that it doesn't have some catching up to do if it ever wants to be taken seriously by the general FG community.

Sasuga

Noob
If this thread was just about Sf on the whole i might concede that it has the edge over Mk, but since it's about SF4, I can amazed that people think it's a good game. so many things are wrong with it and it holds your hand way more than MK does for everything other than pointless combo's with the linking system.

Free ultra every round
Very little meter management
Auto-corrects
input shortcuts
HUGE reversal windows
Option selects

The game was designed to bring in new players with easier hand holding mechanics, yet shoehorns a linking system separate from chaining normals to appease the "hardcore" crowd.
Looool. You -must- be trolling. Shortcuts on an 8-directional game vs a 4-directional game.. "Free" "Execution heavy" Ultra vs "free" 3button universal, instant x-ray...? How about those dial-combo's vs 1 frame link combo's.

Don't get me wrong, I love MK but SF4 has a lot more technical depth. A lot of stuff that you can see the pro's doing require sick execution skills.

FYI: I've played loved MK since MK1 and SF since SF2.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Depth is so overrated its not even funny

Problems with SF:
Links arent hard, not even close to being hard and yet they sometimes work or they dont. MK's combos are "easier" meaning atleast theyre reliable
Crossups are just stupid as hell
Character design is laughable
Ultra's are for puss's
Meter management isnt on par with mk
Random frame gaps

I like both series but SF isnt perfect considering they make so many versions of one game changing aspects of it everytime

Another thing is no one gives mk credit for being easy to play yet hard to master 1 on 1. All i hear is mk is so easy yet playing someone is a whole different story. MK gives you a character and allows you to go at it, which actually shows your skill. "Depth" knowledge just shows...knowledge

People do a simple combo in Mk then think theyre a master until they get clapped on

Ive been playing fighters for years and i used to play SF primilary until i played trilogy and realized how mk is just too awesome to be a zombie towards capcoms shenanigans constantly.

cyke_out

Noob
When I mean free ultra's, I mean you get them every round basically, as oppossed to MK's where if you want an x-ray you have to have done no Breakers or Ex moves. The meter management game is more in depth in MK. Plus the way you gain meter is better handled, as well.

How can I be trolling when I am speaking the truth.

there is input shortcuts in SF4, turning a 3 directional input into a 2 input move. There are huge reversal windows, there is auto-correct, there is option selects that remove the need to make correct reads. Why bother worrying if you are going to get thrown or attacked, just do the option select and defend from both.

Sf4 does require more execution on the whole as oppossed to MK, but my point still stands that many of those things are just arbitrary barries of play, you gain nothing on a strategic level when at top level play the pro's will hit those execution heavy inputs most of the time.

Look at games like guitar hero, those games are 100% all about how much time you spent practicing and muscle memory. when you play a song you go on auto-pilot. I don't fighters like that, fighters should be about reading your opponent and out playing him, execution is needed but unless it serves a purpose, like charge moves limited your ability to freely use the move, then I see no point in making something needlessly complex.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Wait, wait, wait...meter management not as prominent in SFIV? I may be a predominantly MK player, but I will tell you guys, straight up, y'all are being fanboys lol.

We're gonna take Ryu as an example. A lot of matchups, Ryu is gonna want meter for FADCing DPs. However, there are a few matchups where he may be better off using meter for other things...like with Blanka. Yes, in AE, Blanka lost using roll for the most part outside of max-range LP roll and EX roll. When Blanka has meter, though, Ryu's ONLY punish for EX roll is super. This is an instance where Ryu will want to save meter to scare off random rolls. Or the situations where momentum is not on your side (like vs Viper)...if you didn't save meter, FADCed DPs is not an option, and you're kinda screwed over. Meter management in general is super important...and it's not limited to the situations I described.

Even using Ultras is a component of meter management...yes, you're getting it for taking damage, but if you're using it too early, you're not getting enough damage where it counts. Also, option selects, for the most part, in MK9, do not exist, whereas in SF, they're abundant and each one covers different bases in a lot of cases...and option selects have existed since SFII (Hell, characters like T.Hawk in ST live and die by OS tactics). Hell, UMK3's karajabs are a form of option selects.

As for comparing depth, the games are too fucking different to compare. You'd be better off comparing SFIV to past SF games than anything else, and the same goes for MK9, though the best comparison would really just be MKDC.

Sasuga

Noob
I like both series but SF isnt perfect considering they make so many versions of one game changing aspects of it everytime
Lol? You do realise that MK9 is at version 1.04 within a couple of months where SSF4 is technically 1.03 within a couple of years? And they actually added content with the upgrades, not just fix stuff that is broken? Okay, the last patch to MK didn't really change anything except add a character and 2 costumes, I'll give you that. Offcourse SF4 isn't perfect, but compared to MK9...

MagicMan357

Lol? You do realise that MK9 is at version 1.04 within a couple of months where SSF4 is technically 1.03 within a couple of years? And they actually added content with the upgrades, not just fix stuff that is broken? Okay, the last patch to MK didn't really change anything except add a character and 2 costumes, I'll give you that. Offcourse SF4 isn't perfect, but compared to MK9...
So what? Thats irrelevant, its still not close to perfect and the only reason why they dont update stuff is so they can have an excuse to make some other BS version. MK9 is glitched out lol but who the hell wouldnt of known? And atleast the stuff thats broken isnt on some mk3 shit, and people say things are broken when they arent so i take that with a grain of salt.

Sasuga

Noob
So what? Thats irrelevant, its still not close to perfect and the only reason why they dont update stuff is so they can have an excuse to make some other BS version. MK9 is glitched out lol but who the hell wouldnt of known? And atleast the stuff thats broken isnt on some mk3 shit, and people say things are broken when they arent so i take that with a grain of salt.
Lol, what?

MagicMan357

SF isnt complex? MK beats it in every department? lol dude grow up a little. You're a fan of MK and don't care for SF, thats all you got to say. It is clear as day that you have very little experience playing SF competitively. Your assertions are completely unfounded.

However alot of people in this thread have made accurate claims about the two games. I play both games, SF competitively, and I tried to play MK competitively but my local scene is non existent. And like a previous poster had said, I have played SF much longer then MK, yet I feel I am better at MK. Its just a much easier and simpler game to play. Execution isnt a factor in MK whereas in SF it takes a lot of time and effort to stay consistent. Also MK obviously has no real footsy game to speak of. Blind/random aggression is awarded whereas it gets you killed in SF rather quickly.

All that said, I feel MK is funner and is a more relaxing experience. For all of MK's tangible shortcomings (frame data, a trainer etc), it has an intangible fun factor.

Its funny because my 2 faves are the most "complex" out of the series so... yea fail

And no SF is not complex, its just technical

All the BS i hear is completely irrelevant when youre in a match

lol who cares about meaties in sf4, and thats just one aspect

MagicMan357

No no, i get it. It's not relevant, at least the stuff thats broken isnt on some mk3 shit when it's really not broken but MK is glitched out. Makes perfect sense XD
Its not relevant when you made the comparison
Shit thats called broken most of the time isnt
Atleast it isnt on some mk3 like cyraxs stupid infinite grab loop
MK9 is glitched obviously

This makes perfect sense...lol

Sasuga

Noob
Its not relevant when you made the comparison
Shit thats called broken most of the time isnt
Atleast it isnt on some mk3 like cyraxs stupid infinite grab loop
MK9 is glitched obviously

This makes perfect sense...lol
Yes, it makes sense. You are MK-fanboy. :)

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
This thread is dumber than the Tom Brady chuck norris joke thread. If you like SF then go play SF. Why do you waste any of your energy trash talking MK? That crap is about as annoying as the Westboro Baptist Church. I play MK and have never touched SF but I'm sure it's a good game. How old are we now?