MK9 2021 Tier list discussion

Is Liu Kang or Skarlet Better?

• Skarlet

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Liu Kang

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bruh in what world is Kitana punishing a poke? Did you even see 16bit, CD, Mr. Mil or myself punishing that? That’s like saying Sonya can punish a d1 or d3 with her S1, which is 6f. Not possible

Everyone knows how to handle d1 cutter so na that’s not dirt, and even if it was blocked, it’s not like she was plus or anything like that. It was nice on hit but a lot of people had a move that caused a free jip

JK fan was good but you can’t call that dirt when there’s stuff like Cyrax bombs, rune trap, flash parry, etc
Kurbo started punishing d1s with Kabal though, I remember watching in a throwback tournaments he did it 2 times, couldn't remember when. But I think it was more like a guess, he expected that after doing something Kitana would d1, so he was able to throw out his f4 within 1f of blocking the d1. It couldn't be human reaction

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
He was probably just countering the blocked D1. I don’t think anyone was thoughtfully punishing D1’s on block on any regular basis.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
He was probably just countering the blocked D1. I don’t think anyone was thoughtfully punishing D1’s on block on any regular basis.
I was. If I was using cage or Sonya, I was punishing them on reaction, especially if I was looking out for it. Cage had a 9f mid and Sonya had a 10f mid so it wasn’t too hard punishing them at being -13

With Kitana, I would just counterpoke with d3 since she was +10 on hit, and just follow up with 21

People like reo, cdjr and dizzy we’re definitely doing it on reaction as well.
Kurbo started punishing d1s with Kabal though, I remember watching in a throwback tournaments he did it 2 times, couldn't remember when. But I think it was more like a guess, he expected that after doing something Kitana would d1, so he was able to throw out his f4 within 1f of blocking the d1. It couldn't be human reaction
ok but we’re talking about Kitana tho lol. Kabal being able to punish a d1 with his 9f f4 wasn’t too hard

Last edited:

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
My Skarlet MU chart back then from the ones i still remember. Factored by:
1.Can't properly zone or force skarlet to take bigger risks.
  1. crouch block hitbox it's so big that ex dagger cancel still hits while crouching leading to infinite blockstring loops(like Kenshi, Raiden, Sheeva etc)
  2. Skarlet iaDD disabling wakeup options without giving any chance to wakeup attack and forcing meter drain glitch
  3. Big recovery of certain normals on whiff allowing her to power through with armor
  4. Has gap on best strings (i.e Jax)
  5. Struggle to strike a low hitbox character (Skarlet hitbox was among the smallest in the game) i.e: can't mid check d3 when she is minus.

4-6 vs Kabal
3-7 vs Cyrax
4-6 vs Sonya
6-4 vs Kenshi (Big Hitbox, can't avoid chip)
5-5 vs Kitana
5-5 vs Shang
6-4 vs Reptile
6-4 vs Lao (Doomed by d3)
5-5 vs Cage
??? - vs Freddy (not a MU i played extensively. If he has a big hitbox while crouch blocking, it's 6-4 skarlet)
6-4 vs Mileena
6-4 vs Jax
5-5 Smoke
6-4 Sektor
6-4 vs Raiden
6-4 vs Sub
7-3 vs Stryker
8-2 vs Sheeva

i can't cover all, but i know for sure i struggled a lot againt Cyrax, Kabal was hard but manageable, Sonya was dificult but skarlet could still play very well, and the rest was either advantage or even.
If this was Skarlet's true matchup chart she would be a candidate for being a top 5 character.

She was fun character for sure, miss playing her

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Lmao I open TYM on a whim for the first time in years and we have an mk9 tier list thread? Hold on let me get caught up so I can start downplaying.

EDIT: Okay looks like it just got revived from a month ago but still. On the whole punishing d1s thing, I do remember punishing them with cage f3 soooorta on reaction. It is one of those things where you make a read and then if you are looking for it you can get the punish. That is dangerous to do though because if you are just waiting for the d1 you're gonna get run over by other options.

I am surprised by that 2017 tier list, I had always thought of both Smoke and Freddy being above Cage although there aren't any numbers I really disagree with. I think Kabal-Cage is maybe 7-3 but also there are plenty of MUs there I would argue are more Cage favored than they have. For example, not that anyone cares, but Cage-Scorpion is 8-2 imo.

Last edited:

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Wow reading through this, I really miss the janky mk9 poke system. It was so weird with the different hit advantage on stand vs. crouch and the whole counter poke meta was so cool.

Johncage

Noob
Lmao I open TYM on a whim for the first time in years and we have an mk9 tier list thread? Hold on let me get caught up so I can start downplaying.

EDIT: Okay looks like it just got revived from a month ago but still. On the whole punishing d1s thing, I do remember punishing them with cage f3 soooorta on reaction. It is one of those things where you make a read and then if you are looking for it you can get the punish. That is dangerous to do though because if you are just waiting for the d1 you're gonna get run over by other options.

I am surprised by that 2017 tier list, I had always thought of both Smoke and Freddy being above Cage although there aren't any numbers I really disagree with. I think Kabal-Cage is maybe 7-3 but also there are plenty of MUs there I would argue are more Cage favored than they have. For example, not that anyone cares, but Cage-Scorpion is 8-2 imo.
I definitly agree with Freddy being better than Cage.

Johncage

Noob
bruhh whats up with that sektor 6-4ing the policeman? lol
For up close Sektor has his b34 staggers which if Stryker pokes and Sektor finishes the string Sektor gets a full combo while Stryker has no options up close becuase all gun cancels were - on block except for 1 or 2 of them which were +1 on block and Stryker punished Sektor's overhead with 30% but Stryker cant punish Sektor's low so up close Sektor wins.For footsies if Styker has meter he can beat all of Sektor's options with ex roll however if Sektor blocks ex roll he can punish Stryker 1, bf2 for 10% and if Stryker has no meter then Sektor wins footsies so I would say over all it is even.For zoning ex roll beats missle but Styker wants to save meter for breaker but if he has extra meter than Sektor cant zone and Stryker's zoning isnt hard to get in on so zoning Sektor wins.For the corner Sektor wins because of hus pressure options still lead to full combo and end with up missle into more pressure and Strker doesnt have anything in the corner so in tue corner Sektor wins.For wake ups Sektor has absolute garbage wake ups and Styker has roll which is only punishable for 10% and baton sweep isnt very good so for wake ups Stryker wins.Overall I would say it is 6-4 in Sektor's favor

LuvTanyaMk

So Clumsy...
Hey, I was wondering where Kratos fell on the tier list and confused why he's not on any mk 9 tier list.

Does he suck or something?

ForeverKing

My Sektor mu chart the numer on the left is Sektor's points
Total:158 but 163 if you count the Sektor mirror match in the totalView attachment 18245
Interesting you think Sektor beats Kung Lao. His low crouching hitbox can be annoying since Lao mostly has alot of high attacks, but with Lao's mobility and damage I would still say Kung Lao wins 6-4. If you want to give Sektor the benefit of doubt, 5-5 at best

ForeverKing

Final MK9 Tier List in my opinion. C tier I'm the least confident about the order, everything else I feel pretty spot on

S+ tier:
  1. Kabal
S tier:
  1. Cyrax
  2. Kenshi
  3. Smoke (if you could hit resets 100% consistent)
  4. Freddy
  5. Kung Lao
A+ tier:
  1. Sonya Blade
  2. Smoke
  3. Johnny Cage
  4. Kitana
A tier:
  1. Shang Tsung
  2. Skarlet
  3. Liu Kang
  4. Reptile
B tier:
  1. Jax
  2. Ermac
  3. Mileena
  4. Sektor
C tier:
  1. Rain
  2. Sindel
  3. Raiden
  4. Sub Zero
  5. Scorpion
  6. Cyber Sub-Zero
  7. Baraka
  8. Quan Chi
  9. Nightwolf
  10. Noob Saibot
  11. Jade
D tier:
  1. Stryker
  2. Kano
  3. Sheeva

Whitefox

Noob
Loosely in Order

Super Viable
  1. Kabal (no bad matchups)
  2. Kenshi (has trouble vs kung lao but is it even a bad matchup,)
  3. Sonya(Like what is a weakness of her)
  4. Cyrax (has trouble vs kabal and maybe kenshi)
  5. Freddy (same as cyrax imo)
Viable
  1. Johnny Cage(loses to sonya, kabal, kenshi, and prob freddy)
  2. Scarlet (undiscovered, prob one of the best characters)
  3. Smoke (loses to cage and sonya pbad
  4. Kung Lao(only really loses cage, sonya, scarlet imo, kabal, and probably cyrax. Hes probably better than smoke overall)
  5. Kitana
Requires work but doable
  1. Shang Tsung(poor wakeup but practically a mirror at times)
  2. Liu Kang(he makes me think of ryu, he solid overall but nothing he has is overtly strong)
  3. Reptile(no real good low attacks, but strong throw mixup game)
  4. Sektor(has a good low attack, a decent but risky overhead, decent zoning game, a great throw, one of the better mid tier characters)
  5. Jax(suffers similiar problems as cage, but gets fucked by cage and can't standing reset, also his pressure is not as easily staggerable)
  6. BOTTOM OF CAST BELOW
  7. Ermac(no armor hurts, high damage and decent options for keepaway/pressure, hitbox issues on some high tiers
  8. Mileena(50/50s can do a lot)
Winnable but gotta be a god

1. Raiden(no lows, combo damage is ok, has hitbox problems iirc)
  2. Scorpion(make a bunch of good 50/50s, decent armor options, does OK vs kabal, but struggles vs cage/sonya)
  3. Quan chi(similir to Scorpion, but has even more problems due to a lack of good armor)
  4. Rain(strong damage in corner, meter drain option, decent pressure mixup
  5. Sub Zero(some of the top tiers blow him up, but does ok vs some of the stronger tops such as cage/sonya)
Not likely even if you are god, but i suppose its possible

1. Baraka(The best of the worst imo)
  2. Cyber Sub-Zero
  3. Nightwolf(if F3(or b3 i forget)was a low hed prob be up higher like top 15-20 range)
No chance

1. Sindel
  2. Kano
  3. Noob Saibot
  4. Jade
  5. Styker
  6. Sheeva

Attachments

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I like King's tier list. I agree that Cyrax is better than Kenshi and that Smoke with consistent resets is likely top 5.

The following is my modern match up chart for Freddy against the top and high mid tier characters. The first digit represents Freddy. Aside from Scarlet, I am fairly confident in these numbers. I should add that the length of the stage plays a significant role. The longer the stage the better for Freddy.

vs. Cage 6:4
vs. Cyrax 4:6
vs. Kabal 3.5:6.5
vs. Kenshi 5:5
vs. Kitana 6:4
vs. Kung Lao 4:6
vs. Liu Kang 7:3
vs. Reptile 6.5:3.5
vs. Scarlet 5:5
vs. Shang Tsung 6:4
vs. Smoke 2.5:7.5
vs. Sonya 6:4

Immortal

Blind justice....
I also think that FK tier list is fine. I always thought Kenshi was 3rd and lost only to Kabal, went 5:5 with Cyrax/Lao/Freddy and beat everybody else.

Johncage

Noob
Interesting you think Sektor beats Kung Lao. His low crouching hitbox can be annoying since Lao mostly has alot of high attacks, but with Lao's mobility and damage I would still say Kung Lao wins 6-4. If you want to give Sektor the benefit of doubt, 5-5 at best
Your a better player than me so your probably right tbh I was never the greatest player at the game so maybe I just needed to play better players but it seems like Lao would lose or go even when I think about it but again probably just skill issue tbh I would need to relearn a lot to probably say my opinion in certainty

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Your a better player than me so your probably right tbh I was never the greatest player at the game so maybe I just needed to play better players but it seems like Lao would lose or go even when I think about it but again probably just skill issue tbh I would need to relearn a lot to probably say my opinion in certainty
Is it just me but why does it seem that Kung Lao vs Sektor MU is the most argued MU coming up to year 13 & in MKX too?

Personally I always thought Kung Lao wins this MU 6-4 but I have seen both sides argued by the likes of Anti Static several times (Which was just always ended in him all yelly & saying nonsense). I just think Sektor is too whiff punishable and with Kung Lao's far superior mobility & ability to get in & stay in, I just don't see Sektor being a favourite or the MU being even..

Last edited:

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
It's 2023 and people are still inaccurately ranking Raiden in MK9 tier lists.
You always told me that Raiden is just outside of A Tier which I 100% agree with, Raiden is way better than people give credit for & give too much credit to characters like Liu Kang who I think is bad (Talked to Dab about it a few months ago, XBladez just makes that character look godlike but if he had a smaller hurtbox then he'd be Top 15).