• Skarlet

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Liu Kang

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yeah since she got I think around 10-15% chup for a bar and it wasnt bad meterless chip either so I'm going to go put her in A tier above Lao but below Liu
Liu had almost nothing going for him, and his pokes used to be average as far as i remember.
He was a definition of honest character a game where almost everyone had a form of dirt.

Last edited:

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Liu had almost nothing going for him, and his pokes used to be average as far as i remember.
He was a definition of honest character a game where almost everyone had a form of dirt.
Boy what lol Kitana had NO dirt. She was definitely the most honest character

not saying Liu kang was broken but at least he had armor and could punish pokes, which was crucial for the meta. Kitana’s fastest jab was 11f…

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
So what's the deal? You can't even buy this game for PC anymore? Or just not on Steam?

Johncage

Noob
Biggs it was accurate alot of the time but for sektor they said he lost to Baraka and and Cyrax 3-7 which almost every Sektor player( and I agree with this as a Sektor player in MK9) called Baraka a 5-5 and Cyrax 5-5 or 4-6 with Cyrax winning they also saud he beat sindel 7-3 when I remember Sektor players calling it 5-5

Last edited:

Johncage

Noob
Eddy Wang liu had good staggers iirc good corner carry on his combos and good zoning so I might put skarlet above him

Johncage

Noob
xKhaoTik Kitana had really good footsies and range along with good zoning and good combo damage but definitly a honest character

Johncage

Noob
ChaosTheory
Just wanted to have a discussion about a game I loved playing and introduced many current NRS players to competitive fighting games along with MK

ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory
Just wanted to have a discussion about a game I loved playing and introduced many current NRS players to competitive fighting games along with MK
I've just seen a couple threads about mk9 now and I've come across YouTube vids of guys playing pc online and it's apparently decent.

Was curious if more were playing that way.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
So what's the deal? You can't even buy this game for PC anymore? Or just not on Steam?
Yeah get the steam key for real cheap from a dive bar of a website and there's a discord for the TE edition if you want the balance and other features. I don't think you can play online though unless you do some crazy stuff with the PSN network

ChaosTheory

Yeah get the steam key for real cheap from a dive bar of a website and there's a discord for the TE edition if you want the balance and other features. I don't think you can play online though unless you do some crazy stuff with the PSN network
Total noob on this, is this annoying to setup? Is that the thing where you play the game "locally" but online? Like I'm playing split screen if it was another game
I got a copy. Where's the discord? All I kept getting was the general MK discord.

I don't know much about Parsec, either. Seems like one guy plugs in to the other guy's PC and they just play the host's copy of the game? Curious how safe it is.

Johncage

Noob
I know almost nothing on parsec but that it allows you to play online maybe see if there is a guide on yt or google

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Boy what lol Kitana had NO dirt. She was definitely the most honest character

not saying Liu kang was broken but at least he had armor and could punish pokes, which was crucial for the meta. Kitana’s fastest jab was 11f…
Yeah, but Kitana had range, and i used to love this partcularity about her.
D1 good range F2 good range.
Standing 2 with disjointed hitbox and good anti air
Amazing Fan cancels, and very beautiful air combos. (JK fan was amazing)
Easy to start the game with
Good zoning hitboxes and probably the second best insta-air projectile in the game if Kabal wasn't an existent character.
Since MKx forward everyone has Kitana F2 range, and i really hate that.
Kitana was honest in MK9 but Liu wasn't a stupid character either, was trying to say to John cage its that Skarlet overall has much more dirt than Liu, Kitana and certainly had a slight edge against Lao.

What would balance Skarlet against the mid to top tiers, was that if she had meter she was top 3 best chars in the game, and without any she was one of the worst characters in game, due the fact that her offense and defense where heavily based around it, but she could built it very fast as well, even if her zoning hitbox was the tiniest in game, and her zoning did 0 chip on block and 1% damage on hit.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Eddy Wang liu had good staggers iirc good corner carry on his combos and good zoning so I might put skarlet above him
If a character had armor, Liu would struggle a lot, but his B3 was indeed very good. But i don't consider Liu's Zoning in MK9 good where we have Shang, Kabal, Kitana, Skarlet's iaD, Kenshi, Cyrax Bombs, Freddy and Quan Chi. Those characters used to zone much better than Liu mostly because their gameplan wasn't just about the projectile they had.
Liu didn't had anything to complement his projectile game, even the flying kick used to be slow as hell back then.
In a game where armor was the answer to "i can't move", Liu wasn't a design that was complete, his dragon stance was DogSH#T, and if it wasn't for that b312 combo loop i dunno if Liu would even be on a conversation.

Johncage

Noob
Good point I guess I am moving him back down to B tier since he struggled but I have a question should I put Skarlet above shang since shang had the zoning and the corner pressure along with the set ups but Skarlet had the damage, the restand, the chip, also had armor I think Shang>Skarlet on the tier list but I would like to hear your input on if Skarlet is better than Shang

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
My Tier list back then

S+ tier:
  1. Kabal
  2. Kenshi
S tier:
  1. Cyrax
  2. Sonya
A tier:
  1. Kung Lao
  2. Johnny Cage
  3. Smoke
  4. Skarlet
  5. Kitana
  6. Shang Tsung
  7. Freddy Krueger
  8. Liu kang
B tier:
  1. Mileena
  2. Jax
  3. Reptile
  4. Ermac
  5. Sektor
C tier:
  1. Sub-Zero
  2. Rain
  3. Raiden
  4. Sindel
D tier:
  1. Quan Chi
  2. Baraka
  3. Kano
  4. Nightwolf
  5. Noob Saibot
F tier:
  1. Stryker
  2. Cyber Sub-Zero
  3. Jade
  4. Scorpion
  5. Sheeva

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Good point I guess I am moving him back down to B tier since he struggled but I have a question should I put Skarlet above shang since shang had the zoning and the corner pressure along with the set ups but Skarlet had the damage, the restand, the chip, also had armor I think Shang>Skarlet on the tier list but I would like to hear your input on if Skarlet is better than Shang
The tierlist used to be dictated by what characters MU charts have the highest win rates, and not because character above might have better tools.
For example, Cyrax can death combo the entire cast with one TOD but he is still top 3. Sonya is a good MU against cyrax but she is still under him on the general tier list.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
My Skarlet MU chart back then from the ones i still remember. Factored by:
1.Can't properly zone or force skarlet to take bigger risks.
  1. crouch block hitbox it's so big that ex dagger cancel still hits while crouching leading to infinite blockstring loops(like Kenshi, Raiden, Sheeva etc)
  2. Skarlet iaDD disabling wakeup options without giving any chance to wakeup attack and forcing meter drain glitch
  3. Big recovery of certain normals on whiff allowing her to power through with armor
  4. Has gap on best strings (i.e Jax)
  5. Struggle to strike a low hitbox character (Skarlet hitbox was among the smallest in the game) i.e: can't mid check d3 when she is minus.

4-6 vs Kabal
3-7 vs Cyrax
4-6 vs Sonya
6-4 vs Kenshi (Big Hitbox, can't avoid chip)
5-5 vs Kitana
5-5 vs Shang
6-4 vs Reptile
6-4 vs Lao (Doomed by d3)
5-5 vs Cage
??? - vs Freddy (not a MU i played extensively. If he has a big hitbox while crouch blocking, it's 6-4 skarlet)
6-4 vs Mileena
6-4 vs Jax
5-5 Smoke
6-4 Sektor
6-4 vs Raiden
6-4 vs Sub
7-3 vs Stryker
8-2 vs Sheeva

i can't cover all, but i know for sure i struggled a lot againt Cyrax, Kabal was hard but manageable, Sonya was dificult but skarlet could still play very well, and the rest was either advantage or even.

Johncage

Noob
Tier lists were but when going back many people had different match up charts which to me makes it difficult for example PL and forever king in their december 2012 Lao match up chart had Lao beating Kenshi while however Pig in his march 2013 match up chart had Lao vs Kenshi as 5-5 and I think there were other Kenshi mains who also had it 5-5 as well while the Lao community had it as 6-4 with Lao winning however if there was a remake, release, or remaster I would like to see a tier list where the MK9 community did a match up chart with many players of each character and coming up with something like the big match up chart Biggs posted earlier

Johncage

Noob
And Freddy did have a big hurtbox and also could you go over the Skarlet vs Sektor match up since I played Sektor but didnt get to play against Skarlet all that much.

Last edited: