Date of tournament changed. Official time/date is listed for 9/10 @ 8pm EST

X820

Noob
MK2 Team Tournament - SIGNUPS OPEN

Bo_DK said:
Aaw a punch right in the balls...
Guess i aint playin´
Why's that?

Edit: Didn't see your post there.. Besides we already talked of possibly entering before, sorry.

Bo_DK

Noob

X820 said:
Why's that?

Edit: Didn't see your post there.. Besides we already talked of possibly entering before, sorry.
It´s allright, i was only foolin´too begin with. I cant really play on kaliera wihout lag anyway but you know all about that right:) So the reason i wanted to team up with was, i KNOW i could connect p2p with you heh.
Bah never mind, you all have a good tourney now :)

MKB

Forum General Emeritus

Tonshaad still needs a teammate too

Anyway I could be put as a reserve for this? A backup if a partner doesn't turn up. I would sign up normally but i may not be available that night and may not find out till the night.

I would rather be a possible back up than nothing at all :)

McNasty

Moist.

I'd like to sign up as long as my partner isnt too demanding hahah im kinda a noob at mk2

X820

Noob

McNasty said:
I'd like to sign up as long as my partner isnt too demanding hahah im kinda a noob at mk2
It's for shits and giggles, serious casuals you might say :)

MKB

Forum General Emeritus

McNasty said:
Alright, I'll add you to the single players list looking for partners. Please choose a partner ASAP.

Signups close tonight at midnight

MKB

Forum General Emeritus

Please check the front page and pick a partner from that list.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus

If you do not have a partner yet, please make sure to get one by midnight est tonight.

DanCock

Cock Master!!

hey guys. i would love to join but i dont get out of work friday till 10 pm :/

gremloc, are you on PSN? If so what's your id? Do you have kaillera set up?

MKB

Forum General Emeritus

I'm headed to bed early tonight. I'll check signups in the morning before leaving for work and then post brackets later.

To everyone on one of the lists below, we have enough players for THREE additional teams. Please get together and team up with someone else on the list so we can have alarger tourney!

Individual players without a partner
---------------------------------------
1. tonshaad1230
2. McNasty
3. john2kx
4. 1/4 good
5. gremloc

RESERVES
---------------
1. IceyTruth

I gotta pull out of reserves i'm afraid :( I gotta be heading home on that day. Really wanted to play in this as well. Have a good tourney guys.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus

I completely forgot what day it was. There's still a day to go until this thing starts, lol.

Signup deadline extended to midnight EST tonight.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus

Just got this in a PM from Deathbringer. Great post.

Hello, this is my first post in this forum!

I have a few questions regarding this upcoming mk 2 tournament, and a suggestion for future, tournaments, (not sure if I'm posting this in the right place)...thank you in advance.

1st question: How can I join?
easy question :) I dont see a "join tournament button" (I'm new to this forum).

-----can you open up a debate on this next question/suggestion... thank you for your patience in reading this----

2nd question: What if I'm only good with one character? (reffering to the "random select" must rule).

"I know the most common reason the "random select" rule is enforced is to keep people from counter-picking."

I have played in various tournaments, all in arcades. The rules back then, (1992-94 mk2), in arcade tournaments were, 'pick yer best fighter'. No one complained about counter-picking, and random select was more of a cocky move than an attempt to be fair. One of the reasons was, it cost people lots of money to play, typically people didn't spend endless amounts of quarters in arcades doing random selects, spending more money than they should have after 1600 quarters worth of losses, from fighting players who chose their best characters every time. As a result, the "random select rule", in effect, defeats the purpose of playing in any tournament where stats will be posted on the internet, imo. While players don't end up risking a monetary loss they do risk defeat from the very beginning of the tournament by not using the character they are best with, or perhaps ending up with a character they might be bad with, thus, pointless.

I know this implies many people will be choosing liu kang, jax, or mileena, as their fighters. (supposed top tiers), I stress SUPPOSED top tiers, (lol). I don't mind who I fight, whether in 12 matches he\she the picks same character or all different ones. It's all about strategy.

If I can develop a strategy with one character designed for fighting all characters, others can as well. However, if they only use the character of their choice, sooner or later they will still find themselves going up against a "counter-pick", but a fair one in it's own right, since both players choose who they want to before the tournament.

I don't know how to create one, could you create a "choose your destiny" tournament, where a "choose 1 character only" rule is enforced? Or teach me how to create one, that will work to this effect.

I say the advantage of setting up a "choose 1 fighter only" tournament is:

- To avoid counter picking you instate a rule: players can only choose 1 character for the entire tournament.-

1.- You pick who you want to pick. An obvious plus, as you automatically raise the level of INTENSE MK ACTION by forcing everyone to pick their best.

2.- A more challenging tournament = higher prestige/incentive for winning. (no disrespect to "random select" tournaments or their participants, creators, designers)

3.-Tournament charts could be made showing what characters everyone picked. Each player's battle's stats could be recorded showing the number of wins each player tallied, (matches and rounds won). A task easier accomplished with the 1 fighter only rule applied.

4.- A "Kombat Master" (tournament god, or something lol), would be assigned -To enfoce players use the characters chosen before the tournament's start, and make sure they only choose them.

It would be interesting to see which character won the most matches, who they were played with, and whom they faced. Furthermore, let's say, someone beats Jax with Reptile lots of times, that player might be really good with Reptile. Or lets say someone wins the tournament with a (mid-tier \ low-tier), character. It would be nice to see those stats . It would also teach those players who they did poor\well with, and against whom.

Thanks again for taking the time to read my long post. (IM SORRY)
DEATHBRINGERTj
- One man, one desire...
I can understand your point of view regarding random select. The reason I like to do it in my tournaments is mainly to discourage counterpicking. It also helps you to get better with all twelve characters instead of just one. Whenever I play someone who just uses the same character, 9/10 times I usually leave after three fights because it gets boring fast. I know you typically use Scorpion in all of your games. No offense intended, of course. Just my opinion.

We'd love to have you join, but you'll need to be comfortable with the random select rule. Also, you will need to pick a teammate by midnight tonight. Please check the list of players who still need teammates and see if they will team up with you.

Thanks!

The first time I played deathbringer, I asked him if he was going to pick anyone aside from Scorpion, he did...it was ugly.

Deathbringer, we have gg's, but you get very upset with throwing, I think "dirty pool" was what you called it. If you enter this tournament, you're going to have deal with throwing. It's part of the game and easily avoidable, regardless of you what you think. I hope no offense is taken by this post.