What's new

MK2 character matchup request thread

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Over the course of the next couple months, I will be creating a thread per day to discuss various character matchups within the game of MK2. The purpose behind the thread is to show exactly why the character is better than the other and how the underdog can work to counter that matchup. Eventually, once all possible matchups have been discussed, they will be moved to a specific folder where they can be easily accessed.

For instance, one day I might have a thread about Kitana VS Shang Tsung. After getting the basics out of the way and listing general movesets, we could just discuss who is better all around (most would argue Kitana,) why she is better, and what Shang can do to counter the blue-bitch.

If anyone has any suggestions or requests for specific matchup discussion, please feel free to respond here and let me know so I can plan out the first week or so of threads. Otherwise, I'll just post matchups at random for discussion. This will probably start either on Monday or Wednesday after the holiday. If this proves to be successful, I will port this over to the UMK3 forums afterward.

I would love to see a complete list that shows CQC matchups and which moves are best to use with one character versus others when considering a crouching guard. That would be nice. Also, what about a list that shows what jump kicks by an enemy can be slipped by a low kick by the player as the attack is about to hit?

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Ththuvhul - That's a good topic to address within each thread. I'll make it a point for discussion.

First thread will be created on Wednesday, December 26th.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Also, don't forget to do some mirrors. Mirror matches are a very big part of MK2, especially in tournaments when the majority of people are using Mileena and Kang. Personally, I like Lao vs just about everyone. But get me in a Lao mirror, and I am not comfortable. Strategies for mirrors definitely are needed :]

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Also, don't forget to do some mirrors. Mirror matches are a very big part of MK2, especially in tournaments when the majority of people are using Mileena and Kang. Personally, I like Lao vs just about everyone. But get me in a Lao mirror, and I am not comfortable. Strategies for mirrors definitely are needed :]
I'll throw them in, too. Probably once we exhaust every other matchup we'll get to mirrors.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Hey guys. As you've noticed I recently stopped posting character matchups over this past week. The reason for this is because I am currently battling a severe eye injury sustained in my taekwondo classes. It's made typing and looking at screens for a long period of time difficult, although it is improving over time. I hope to be back to normal within another week or so. Until then the character matchup threads will remain suspended. Just keeping you guys in the loop.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Hey guys. As you've noticed I recently stopped posting character matchups over this past week. The reason for this is because I am currently battling a severe eye injury sustained in my taekwondo classes. It's made typing and looking at screens for a long period of time difficult, although it is improving over time. I hope to be back to normal within another week or so. Until then the character matchup threads will remain suspended. Just keeping you guys in the loop.
Was wondering if everything was ok. It appears you have been injured in actual mortal kombat. :eek:
Best wishes on a speedy recovery. :)

Reactions: MKB

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Was wondering if everything was ok. It appears you have been injured in actual mortal kombat. :eek:
Best wishes on a speedy recovery. :)
I guess your wishes got through because the MD just gave me clearance to resume normal activities (not counting taekwondo, lol). Matchup postings will resume... today!

How about a MKAK vs ogMK2 matchup that discusses differences? I'm reading everyone post about character matchups and it's all good and everything, but the characters play and can get away with things a lot differently on each version. Thanks.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
How about a MKAK vs ogMK2 matchup that discusses differences? I'm reading everyone post about character matchups and it's all good and everything, but the characters play and can get away with things a lot differently on each version. Thanks.
Og plays much closer to the arcade, MKAK is sped up and clunky. Weird things happen in MKAK also. Like last night I jump kicked with Baraka as Cage was ballbreaking. My Baraka instead of kicking Cage, hung frozen in the air for a second above Cage LOL. What??
MKAK is still a pretty good version compared to SNES, Saturn etc. It's just frustrating that we were told it would be "arcade perfect", yet something as simple as the sound is even messed up on MKAK.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I've been slacking off on these matchups as of late because I've just been busy IRL. I look to finish up these matchup threads over the next couple weeks; maybe 2 per day.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I'm putting a bounty out for matchup videos to put in these threads. Videos will add much depth and increase the understanding of the match so much more than words could do.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
The complete series of matchup threads is almost finished. I think there are somewhere between 5-8 more to create and then they will be done. Done, but not perfect. I would still like to see video footage for those threads at some point down the road.

Edit: Forgot about the 12 mirror matches