What's new

MK12 Creation Thread (Story spoilers)

Oki Red

Noob
In the interview, looks like Ed can't ever hear the name "Mortal Kombat"...

A new reboot with completely new characters will hurt the franchise... At least they have to add scorpion and sub.

Can u imagine sf without ryu and ken?

I will make an interesting thread later for u guys to vote.. Lol

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Liu Kang gets bored of being a God so he makes a tournament and invites characters from all eras to fight for his amusement.

Certainly getting some vibes from MK1 Raiden lmao

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
This ending is full of endless possibilities. Frankly, I think it will be a waste to go back YET AGAIN to the MK1 storyline. The MK1 storyline was made when the game had 7 characters, no lore, no material, no nothing.

Now we have Earthrealm, Outworld, Netherealm, Tarkata, Naknara, Zatara, etc.

Now that the franchise is no longer bound to the past, NRS can expand upon certain races and species like never before. Shao Kahn never destroyed the Zataraans - bam. Six new reptilian characters to the roster. Edenia is no longer enslaved by Shao Kahn - bam, Rain is the major antagonist in an Edenian story plot. The possibilities are endless.

They can try new things and make Mortal Kombat be a tournament with something other than the fate of the Earth hanging in the balance. Perhaps the champion of Mortal Kombat will be able to ask a boon from the Elder Gods and dozens of combatants come to participate for their realm's prosperity. Behind the scenes various combatants plot to take out each other, while others respect their rivals and strange friendships are formed.

Or maybe MK is rebooted as an action RPG ala God of War - more cinematic and character-driven than ever. Who knows? All I know is that, like MK9 and MKX, the ending leaves me not content, but thirstier than ever for more adventures in the MK universe.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
After 14 billion times Liu Kang finally made the perfect timeline, but it pisses of the titans because reasons, so Liu enlists people across the timelines (although mostly from MK1-3)to fight them.
Liu Kang vs the Vancouver Titans... his greatest challenge.

Oki Red

Noob
I'll be honest, for me that trilogy/arc (mk9/x/11) is oversaturated. Can't ever read about that plot. It's done!

Mk zero tolding past events like great kung lao, seen better. I don't want to that god liu kang story advance... Im done. Its done.

A new mk action game a la dmc, would be amazing tho. But it will never happen... Like i said, a new mk will be only possible if the new nrs games flop/fail. Then they will need money, yeah, you know.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
The more I think about it the more I just want a hard reboot.

It’s gotten too complicated, do what mk9 did but ignore all the past continuity. That way we can have anything and everything again but back at a tournament.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
I just finished the story again (own the game on two platforms) and yeah, it does feel like this is the end of MK as we know it.

There have been other games which are close to my heart. The Max Payne series is a good example of this. MP3 ends with Max basically saying goodbye to the hard life he's been living. It was closure, but it didn't feel wrong, it didn't leave me with a bitter taste. I saw it as, "Max deserves the rest now".

To some degree, I feel the same about the MK universe. A lot of these characters have been through hell (literally, in some cases). They deserve a rest. However, the bitterness is undeniably there because it doesn't feel like "We're finally done, let's rest". The very nature of the ending implies that everything has been undone, and with our new time lord, all of the things that happened in MK1 all the way to MK11, just won't happen. It's over, but in a different way.

I think MK11 might in fact be the last MK under Ed Boon. I don't envy whoever has to write the story for the next one, assuming there will even be a next one. There is no logical reason for anything MK-like to happen during this new timeline, unless there's more than one Titan and they all decide to take on LK. So we'll have a game where LK goes full God Of War on the Titans, kills them..and then what? What's left at that point?

It's been good. I will savour MK11 for as long as it will be supported and beyond. I'm just sad that a franchise that's been with me since I was a child may have come to its end.

With that said, between the cinematics and the Krypt, I can definitely see NRS giving us one, big MK-based action/adventure game. Think God Of War or Devil May Cryu, but set in the MK universe. Like Shaolin Monks, but bigger and better. That would be the shit.
there is more than one titan, i believe its expressed in scorpions ending that there are more beings like Kronika

FaneBlackwing

Best in the West
Next title: MK Legends (unofficial title - MK12). The story of the Great Kung Lao era, since the time is reset. Would be dope! RosterȘ Shang Tsung, Goro, Great Kung Lao, a representative of the cryomancers (Sub-Zero's masters), Hanzo Hasashi's ancestor as Scorpion, God Liu Kang, Kitana, human Raiden and some from the Mortal Kombat series. Also Reptile's race may be alive, Baraka still in, maybe Nitara too.
The last time they replaced iconic characters with nobodies, it didn't go over too well, and they seemingly want to leave behind that era as a whole at this point.

I myself would rather them continue the current timeline, there's so many stories that were just abruptly ended and there was a LOT more potential for future games. BUT, there's something else I'm interested in.

In this game, Shao Kahn is killed MUCH earlier than he would in MK9. I'd like to see them visit a split timeline based off that. There's a lot of differences just from this one event alone. Other than Sindel, Stryker, and Kabal, everyone would be established at this point in time, BESIDES Kano for the simple fact that his past self was killed.

-Shang Tsung would still be alive
-Kabal and Stryker would likely not be present as Earthrealm defenders(thus their stories can be altered)
-Sindel wouldn't have been resurrected
-Kitana would take the throne of Outworld rather than Mileena
-Sub-Zero would still be a cyborg
-Scorpion would still be a revenant of Quan Chi
-Kung Lao, Jade, Kitana, Jax, Smoke, etc... would not die by Sindel, therefore never becoming revenants(a sub-plot a lot of people hated)
-Motaro wouldn't die, but we all know he'll die one way or another since NRS likely doesn't want to try and make him work

They can also actually include characters established to be in Outworld during these events like Skarlet, Kollector, Kotal Kahn, and D'Vorah if they'd like to, which I'm sure a lot of people would be down for.

I'd love to see what they could do here, with Shao Kahn's premature death there's a lot of potential for an interesting storyline and an AWESOME roster.

Probably it is going to be Mortal Kombat 0.

human raiden, general kotal .... etc and NRS find another reason to not include Mileena.

Corrupted Shinnok

Final Boss
Kia finds Shinnok's Amulet and uses it to restore him. Shinnok and Kia resurrect The One Being (revealed as Shinnok's father). Kitana betrays Earthrealm and allows Shinnok to absorb the Jinsei once again. Corrupted Shinnok defeats Johnny Cage and Cassie Cage and then decapitates Raiden (revenge for MKX events). The One Being destroys The Elder Gods and that's it. :p

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
With an ending like this anything other than an hard reset wouldn't make sense.

And I think at this point is needed, things have gone too bloated in the last games. Too much stuff, too many characters and subplots that go nowhere, too many plot holes and retcons. They need to do something new, not another retelling of MK1-2-3 nor continuing this titans-elder gods-time travel mess of a story. Maybe a prequel it's a good idea.