What's new

MK11 Sonya Blade General Discussion

Zviko

Noob
Is there any secret to getting Sonya's f4(1+3)2222 to come out consistently? The 2222 never wants to come out regardless of speed or timing.

[Edit] Fuck this string. You can just end with b1~bf2 for a reliable ender that deals only 1% less damage or dash-33~bf2 for around 31%. SO, like, b123-dash-33-dash-33~bf2. That same kombo ended with 33~KB deals 47% meterless.
I can't do it either but I don't think you need it anyway. As an ender neither. Isn't the optimal combo B123, 33, 123, BF2 amp?

Also what combo are you doing for 47% meterless?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I can't do it either but I don't think you need it anyway. As an ender neither. Isn't the optimal combo B123, 33, 123, BF2 amp?

Also what combo are you doing for 47% meterless?
Does the 134 ender work midscreen? I can't get the bf2 to connect.

50% is b123-dash-33-dash-134~FB.

Last edited:

Zviko

Noob
Does the 134 ender work midscreen? I can't get the bf2 to connect.

47% is b123-dash-33-dash-333~FB. Can hit 48% when mashing the fb.
Yes it works. It's tight. Or just use F4 instead of 33.

Oh you meant FB. You typed KB which got me confused. But still, doesn't B123, 33, 123 FB do more? I'm pretty sure it does.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yes it works. It's tight. Or just use F4 instead of 33.

Oh you meant FB. You typed KB which got me confused. But still, doesn't B123, 33, 123 FB do more? I'm pretty sure it does.
Not sure but I'll try it out.

Nevan_PTF

All your mains belong to me!
Is there any secret to getting Sonya's f4(1+3)2222 to come out consistently? The 2222 never wants to come out regardless of speed or timing.

[Edit] Fuck this string. You can just end with b1~bf2 for a reliable ender that deals only 1% less damage or dash-33~bf2 for around 31%. So, like, b123-dash-33-dash-33~bf2.
You have to dial it in, input it while the 1+3 hasn't came out yet, visually.

For combos I have address it on the combo thread.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
You have to dial it in, input it while the 1+3 hasn't came out yet, visually.

For combos I have address it on the combo thread.
I've tried dialing it. I've watched youtube videos on how to do it. Nothing seems to work. It's still a crap shoot. It's pointless, anyway, since there are more damaging enders to use. The only benefit I can see is that the 1+3 doesn't come out if the f4 is blocked, making it a good string to throw out in the neutral since it's only -3 on block.

Zviko

Noob
How much damage does 1+3 even do? Is it worth over 14f hit advantage you get only from F4? You can do anything you want after that while 1+3 leaves you at 0.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
How much damage does 1+3 even do? Is it worth over 14f hit advantage you get only from F4? You can do anything you want after that while 1+3 leaves you at 0.
Well idealy you would want to do the full string if you can get it to come out. It deals 164 damage, I believe, the exact same as f4~bf2. So, you can dial it in and if it's blocked, you're only -3, and if it hits, you deal a decent chunk of damage without side-switching. But it's not worth the effort due to the inconsistency.

Plop

Noob
I was playing around with Sonya last night. I've never touched the character before in any MK game, but i wanna surprise my sparring partner by whipping out a really unexpected character.

Anyway, I've got a quick question to ask that i couldnt see the answer to anywhere in here:

Is there any point in her amp air rings krushing blow? From what i could find, doing the 5 hits in a kombo into the amp air rings for the krushing blow does roughly the same as a meterless b&b. To be honest, I didn't even know she had this krushing blow cos I've never seen anyone do it before. Is it useless? Or is there a really obvious kombo route I'm missing that leads into enough damage to make it worthwhile? I checked the kombo thread but couldn't see anything.

Zviko

Noob
I was playing around with Sonya last night. I've never touched the character before in any MK game, but i wanna surprise my sparring partner by whipping out a really unexpected character.

Anyway, I've got a quick question to ask that i couldnt see the answer to anywhere in here:

Is there any point in her amp air rings krushing blow? From what i could find, doing the 5 hits in a kombo into the amp air rings for the krushing blow does roughly the same as a meterless b&b. To be honest, I didn't even know she had this krushing blow cos I've never seen anyone do it before. Is it useless? Or is there a really obvious kombo route I'm missing that leads into enough damage to make it worthwhile? I checked the kombo thread but couldn't see anything.
Yeah it's useless.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Sonya isn't a bad character, but I hope she gets a whole rework because she is one of the worst designed characters in the game both from a gameplay standpoint and personality wise. I know the personality piece cannot be fixed, but holy crap I'd like to play as a Sonya that plays like Sonya with cartwheel, leg grab....things that have defined the character since the beginning and her lack of mid strings remains the strangest thing I've ever seen.

She's left with playing really lame and there's nothing wrong with zoning, but it's not even fun zoning.

Then how they did her in story mode it's like.....why?

It's especially bothering when they did a fantastic Sonya in Scorpion's revenge.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I don't know who thought it was a good idea to give her that drone and make it act like her pet. Seriously. And then they repeat the same for Cassie??

But yeah, if there's something I miss of Sonya it's her combos and attacks using her legs and kicks.

Zviko

Noob
All Down + Front Punch attacks can be both high and low parried
Is it only me who's excited about this indirect Sonya buff? Or is no one playing the parry variation?

All Down + Front Punch attacks can be both high and low parried
Is it only me who's excited about this indirect Sonya buff? Or is no one playing the parry variation?
I was thinking the same thing. The frame data changes on v3 look nice but I don't know yet if they'll really make that much of a difference. Ring Master and NHB are still the way to go. Overall I was pretty disappointed in the changes for Sonya. It's nice that the f3 armor break is universal but it's slow and it seems too predictable. Can I only land it after a b123 launch? Can I f3 after antiairing with d1 or s1? Have to test it. The other changes to 2122 and b2 aren't going to change much. I can understand the b14 damage scaling, but the previous balance changes with air assault and her health have really hurt her over time. Still doesn't have solid mids either. What do you guys think?

Zviko

Noob
I was thinking the same thing. The frame data changes on v3 look nice but I don't know yet if they'll really make that much of a difference. Ring Master and NHB are still the way to go. Overall I was pretty disappointed in the changes for Sonya. It's nice that the f3 armor break is universal but it's slow and it seems too predictable. Can I only land it after a b123 launch? Can I f3 after antiairing with d1 or s1? Have to test it. The other changes to 2122 and b2 aren't going to change much. I can understand the b14 damage scaling, but the previous balance changes with air assault and her health have really hurt her over time. Still doesn't have solid mids either. What do you guys think?
Don't even bother with her armor breaker. It does less damage than D2. Completely useless.

Don't even bother with her armor breaker. It does less damage than D2. Completely useless.
I figured as much after I saw the video with Cage's flipkick, thinking it'd be similar. Pretty unfortunate. Have you messed around with v3 after the changes?

I don't know who thought it was a good idea to give her that drone and make it act like her pet. Seriously. And then they repeat the same for Cassie??

But yeah, if there's something I miss of Sonya it's her combos and attacks using her legs and kicks.
Agreed.

I don’t know why NRS insists on making Sonya so gadget heavy but at least her drone (MKX) & turret have to be called into action. Cassie’s is given no explanation why it pops up during her matches.

I'm thinking about learning V1 after only using V2.

How's everyone doing against Sheeva? She's the only Aftermath character I haven't faced yet.

Have you guys noticed anything significant with Sonya yet? She can jail a little bit easier with s1 and b1 off of her pokes but that's about it:

d1 +13 on hit from +12
d3 +14 on hit from +10
d4 +20 on hit from +14

Tried to see if you could combo off pokes into ring cancel in the corner but doesn't look like you can. She still has 950 health, the same FB gaps, same gameplay really across the board. Didn't see any changes to moves in No Holds Barred or Ten Hut. Soaring General is still one of the worst custom moves in the game. Not really looking good for Sonya so far but let's see. In my opinion she's just going to go further down the tier list.