What's new

MK11 Single Player Modes and Grind Discussion (Towers of Time, Augments, and Krypt) - Towers are Fixed.

Raider

Noob
I tried the new patch for 45 minutes. The Stage 4 Noob towers have the same requirements, and the Towers don't seem to have changed. I played the Sub Zero Tag battle tower and was able to find two bros to team up with. Here's how the mechanics in this fight work:

Each person on the team fights the boss in a set order. In this case, I was second. The boss starts with minor modifiers, but as they get closer to death, the modifiers get stronger. The first modifier was the ground getting frozen and slowing the player, and if the player stands on it too long, they get frozen. The second stage of the fight replaces this with ice missiles that home on to the player and freezes them on impact. The third...well.. watch the video.

The game also assigns random friendly assists to the player that the game activates at random times. In this case we had special forces grenade volley, and a tidal wave that travels across the screen. Also, the CPU can use a fatal blow on each player (so 3 in total), but if one of the players uses their fatal blow, the others cannot.

We weren't able to beat this battle, due to the ridiculous stage 3. Enjoy.

WTF?? That ending...
WHO was testing this??

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Ridiculous.

This is like, I'm asking my boss for a raise, and he's like: "Okay, sure! I'll give you a raise, but you must show me that you're worthy of a raise. So I want you to lift two thousand pounds with one hand while running around the room for five minutes! Fair?"

It's like NRS is mocking the player with those towers. It's insulting.

Last edited:

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo
Okay, two questions:
  • Was this also with Konsumables and Augments again? If so, which ones are you using?
  • Since you have gotten the game, how many skins would you say you have unlocked? Not just from Towers of Time, but from other modes like The Krypt as well. I'm trying to get a feel for how fast skin unlocks are.
This particular fight, the tag one I mean, doesnt let you pick consumables. The game picks random ones for you like the grenade and wave you see in the video.

I'm not using any augments. If I reroll all my gear and fit them i would get a total 5% damage increase, and a 9% increase on ghost ball. I dont care enough to reroll for those paltry bonuses

Regarding skins
10 for Noob. Average of 4.5 for everyone else. Across towers of time, story mode, krypt. If I do the tutorials for everyone apparently itd be more.

You know... I’ve spent the last 24 hours or so being annoyed by this, but truly, I don’t mind it that much anymore.

Is the random Krypt annoying (especially for brutalities and skins)? Yeah.

Do the character-specific towers look annoying with these grinds for getting 150 fatal blows after paying for a tower, or getting spammed by unblockables? Absolutely.

While I would prefer to walk around a Krypt and getting everything I want immediately, I am not too angry anymore.

My main focus is online Ranked. Of course I want to unlock cool stuff and grinding away to get it sucks, but I’ll get it in time. I don’t need every skin or mask or belt buckle or what have you.

As I get single player stuff out of the way (story and arcade towers), I’m going to collect koins, level up gear, and hop into any time-based towers that have stuff I don’t want to miss out on. Once I’m done with single player stuff, I’ll run around the Krypt getting consumables and whatever else I can. After I settle on a main, I’ll do a character tower and if I need to get 200 fatalities, I’ll rip some heads in ranked and tackle the various character tower tiers over time, and keep an eye on the scheduled towers and running through the Krypt.

I don’t need everything in the first week or even month. This will also keep my gear changing and stopping it from getting stale.

I greatly appreciate @Prateek Shekhar ’s work on this thread and Reddit. I do think NRS needs to fix this stuff because I can especially see casuals blowing their tops over this, but me? Meh, it’s not a prefered scenario, but the gameplay I played in the stress test and beta was awesome, and I just want to start playing some damn matches.

Also, I’m not a fan of NRS’s lack of specifics leading up to this point, but it is what is; just as microtransactions are commonplace nowadays, especially for fighting games. I’m not paying a dime for anything that isn’t a character, stage, or kombat pack, but some people will and I can’t fault them for tapping into that market. Is it annoying this stuff is ready at launch but locked away? Yes, but would you rather get a bare bones game and pay for every skin that came out like SFV? I wouldn’t. At least I can get some cool stuff over time. I simply won’t get everything, that’s fine.

So right now in Injustice 2 there's a multiverse where a bunch of random (Easter) shit will fly on the screen. It's better than what's been shown here since it affects the opponent as well but it has all the same problems:
-this ain't fun. A bunch of random unpredictable projectiles hitting you and making you drop combos is not fun
-this is hard, harder than something meant for a casual audience has any right to be

The thing is, there are no micro-transactions to help the casuals so it does not feel malicious...it's just bad. Bad game design that has carried its way over to MK11. Whoever's designing this stuff has a weird idea of fun or they're a masochist.

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
I tried the new patch for 45 minutes. The Stage 4 Noob towers have the same requirements, and the Towers don't seem to have changed. I played the Sub Zero Tag battle tower and was able to find two bros to team up with. Here's how the mechanics in this fight work:

Each person on the team fights the boss in a set order. In this case, I was second. The boss starts with minor modifiers, but as they get closer to death, the modifiers get stronger. The first modifier was the ground getting frozen and slowing the player, and if the player stands on it too long, they get frozen. The second stage of the fight replaces this with ice missiles that home on to the player and freezes them on impact. The third...well.. watch the video.

The game also assigns random friendly assists to the player that the game activates at random times. In this case we had special forces grenade volley, and a tidal wave that travels across the screen. Also, the CPU can use a fatal blow on each player (so 3 in total), but if one of the players uses their fatal blow, the others cannot.

I'm very tempted to tag a particular NRS employee who's been responding to people's legitimate concerns with sassy reaction gifs and see if he has any guidance on how, precisely, this isn't fucked and a virtual paywall.

Very tempted.

SubZeroIce

Runway
That ending holy hell... They definitely need to chill on that. The Augment stuff is cool and I'm sure there's one that's freeze resistant that you can put on in this particular match though.

Also your scorpion bro... C'mon man. You literally just let him beat your ass

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo
I dont think they are that malicious. Even if the difficulty is fixed, the towers of time are still a decent time sink and it's fine if players value their time more than money. They can save the 40 minutes on a tower and buy a gear set for a couple bucks? Fine by me.

But right now I gotta spend 40 minutes on the tower besides the one single problematic fight that also requires separate 40 minutes of trial and error and replaying to beat. I think THAT is unintentional and a result of improper playtesting.

I'm sure Dizzy, 16 bit, and another pro can team up and beat this Sub fight with a few replays. But the Tylers and Dereks of the world cant.

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo
That ending holy hell... They definitely need to chill on that. The Augment stuff is cool and I'm sure there's one that's freeze resistant that you can put on in this particular match though.

I've been playing for 3 days have have a dozen augments for noob, but none that give me freeze resist. Also they just reduce damage from hazards, and dont make you immune to them. So I would still get frozen by the hail and end up in an infinite combo, but the hail will do reduced damage

Kal

<3

He wasn't playing Scorpion, it was a dude he got matched up with. It's 3 players vs Subbie, you and 2 others co-op. Prateek was Noob Saibot.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies

wt absolute f?

If that's working as intended I'm not even going to touch the towers. Default skins for life I guess.

SubZeroIce

Runway
He wasn't playing Scorpion, it was a dude he got matched up with. It's 3 players vs Subbie, you and 2 others co-op. Prateek was Noob Saibot.
Oh my mistake.

I've been playing for 3 days have have a dozen augments for noob, but none that give me freeze resist. Also they just reduce damage from hazards, and dont make you immune to them. So I would still get frozen by the hail and end up in an infinite combo, but the hail will do reduced damage
Damn, that sucks. I thought there were some fire-resistant ones and stuff.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
@Prateek Shekhar 's logic is sound. It's the same thing they've done with DLC since Day 1 Scorpion in Injustice 1: release them broken as all fuck and rake in the buys and Twitch views while the Sonics and whoever of the world break them further, then they patch them later and look like heroes to the community for restoring order. Give us the pay-to-win Krypt now and get that money now, give us an actual sane Krypt and reel us back in later. Like we're the wife that just got cheated on, and they're the husband trying to lure us back in with a Bahamas vacation in Hell.

FUN.

Can we respectfully tweet this at Derek, he straight up said he's testing towers of time to see if modifiers are working and consumables feel good.

Of course they're aware of it. How else would they funnel people towards time krystals and dumping more money into unlocking content they already paid for?
most of us casuals will just trade it in, nobody wants to lose for 2 hours straight just to get a fucking headband for Sonya

Reactions: Lun

Lun

proud TERF!
I'm extra disappointed that instead of an unlockable game mode, where you roam around and find stuff, Krypt is reduced to that place where you spent coins to get random stuff. If I'm wrong, correct me.

Exactly.

The chests are now rng-based. They're literally lootboxes.

It seems to me you have a higher chance of finding good stuff in the expensive chests (12k-15k range). I haven't found skins in unexpensive chests so far.

Exactly.

The chests are now rng-based. They're literally lootboxes.

It seems to me you have a higher chance of finding good stuff in the expensive chests (12k-15k range). I haven't found skins in unexpensive chests so far.
It's actually worst than In2 cause you can't reroll or sell the stuff you don't want and have no use for

Lun

proud TERF!
I'd like to add another thing: what they're doing isn't going to work. It can't.

The frustration the towers of time give you is much stronger than the frustration of seeing a skin that can only be bought, not won. You're actually experiencing the fact that the skin is right there but they do not want you to have it without paying.

Sure, now the gits at Reddit are still defending NetherRealms Software. But they don't have the game. They will experience that feeling of being mocked by the developers soon enough.

Lun

proud TERF!
It's actually worst than In2 cause you can't reroll or sell the stuff you don't want and have no use for

No, it's not. NOT AT ALL.

Injustice 2 was awesome. I got so many outfits for free. I never felt any frustration whatsoever. I accepted that I couldn't get some skins I wanted, but I got most of what I wanted to have just by actually playing the game.

This here? This is COMPLETELY different. You will find out. It's absurd how they didn't even try to hide what they're doing.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I think you guys are selling Reddit short. Any topics about the Krypt are met with the same emotions we have here. People there are already worried with how much grind the towers are going to need and already are giving up on trying them out. Sure, people are excited to play the game (I am as well), but most people are already calling the Krypt for what it truly is.

Injustice 2 was awesome. I got so many outfits for free. I never felt any frustration whatsoever. I accepted that I couldn't get some skins I wanted, but I got most of what I wanted to have just by actually playing the game.

This here? This is COMPLETELY different. You will find out. It's absurd how they didn't even try to hide what they're doing.
I said it's worse than injustice 2?

At this point I’d rather have Injustice 2’s system, warts and all.