STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
The best Hot Take of them all...

What new Top Players will emerge?

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
(Semi) serious hot take though: Despite the heavy design emphasis on footsies and strategic neutral play, characters given the strongest mid-range footsies game but little else (e.g., Jade, Kotal, Johnny Cage) will have a hard time competing (at least until the patching starts).

Based on what we've seen, the better games still seem to be fast pressure and mix-ups (e.g., Kabal, Jacqui, Sonya, Liu) and breaking footsies at will (e.g., Scorpion, Raiden, Kollector). Maybe also strong keepaway outside footsies (e.g., Noob, Cetrion, Erron Black), but it's too early to tell.

Would love to be wrong, of course.

Last edited:

asmith

Noob
- MK11 will breakthrough the 2 year cycle for the first time in NRS history.
While I DO hope that happens but I highly doubt it. They are making money every 2 year cycle and their customers are used to that. Expanding that cycle will result in less money therefore bad business.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
People will play the game for a few weeks and then realize there really aren't that many combo options. NRS will adjust the gravity/launch properties of moves.

Seriously, I am super concerned about the combo potential of MK11. As an example, watching the Erron Black reveal, he appeared to have little to no true launchers. That's not fun to me.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
People will play the game for a few weeks and then realize there really aren't that many combo options. NRS will adjust the gravity/launch properties of moves.

Seriously, I am super concerned about the combo potential of MK11. As an example, watching the Erron Black reveal, he appeared to have little to no true launchers. That's not fun to me.

I really hope I'm wrong.
You are, did you play the beta? Aside from characters like Jade who is a dedicated mid to long range playstyle, they all have normal juggles. Im sure the characters in the full game will follow that trend.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
Everyone is going to call for buffs to the following characters:
-Kitana
-Erron Black
-Cassie

But they're gonna get OP

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
This right here. Especially the female characters. Jade, Skarlet, I'm looking at you gals.
Frankly, the latter won't be a surprise to me. Her design has changed significantly, both aesthetically and in terms of gameplay. Some MK9 fans of her may decide to look elsewhere.

Hsu Hao will be top tier, until Mokap DLC
Reptiloid will retain his title of undisputed stale meme posting champion (TYM).

MK11 will breakthrough the 2 year cycle for the first time in NRS history.
"There's no 2 year schedule" - Ed Boon, 2018.
:rolleyes:

Raiden's best mid option will be nerfed into a high for absolutely no reason whatsoever.
What is his best mid option anyway?

D'vorah will kill ur fav character
In a cutscene.

Regardless of when the first tier list is made or posted here, everyone will say it's "too early" and blow up the thread and user that made it.
By other FGs standards, NRS games don't live tournament lives long enough to mature. In a sense, it won't necessarily be ridiculous if someone will be greeted with "to early" while trying to present their list in late 2020, right after game's (hypothetical) last NRS-sponsored major.

MK11 will crush it in regards to sales and general viewing numbers across various media platforms but still won't be taken seriously by the FGC "purists".
As if most vocal of those "purists" don't play something with an average online of 40 ppl worldwide, having presented their argument that sales don't matter.

MK11 will draw criticism over the years for being less fun to watch than MKX.
Frankly, watching MKX gets old really fast. YMMV, of course.

As an example, watching the Erron Black reveal, he appeared to have little to no true launchers.
Remember first weeks after game's reveal. People legit thought that getting 10% damage will be the norm in this game. Fast forward a few months, beta is released and people started finding things.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
(Semi) serious hot take though: Despite the heavy design emphasis on footsies and strategic neutral play, characters given the strongest mid-range footsies game but little else (e.g., Jade, Kotal, Johnny Cage) will have a hard time competing (at least until the patching starts).

Based on what we've seen, the better games still seem to be fast pressure and mix-ups (e.g., Kabal, Jacqui, Sonya, Liu) and breaking footsies at will (e.g., Scorpion, Raiden, Kollector). Maybe also strong keepaway outside footsies (e.g., Noob, Cetrion, Erron Black), but it's too early to tell.

Would love to be wrong, of course.
I would like to said your not to far off with that assessment. I think Kabal, Noob Saibot and Liu Kang are the strongest examples.

John Grizzly

You are, did you play the beta? Aside from characters like Jade who is a dedicated mid to long range playstyle, they all have normal juggles. Im sure the characters in the full game will follow that trend.
I played both betas. Even the "long" combos seemed very limited. I was a fan of the super long combos in MKX. I think it's safe to say that those types of combos will absolutely not be possible in MK11.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy

I really hope I'm wrong.
This lack of combos has clearly been proven to be people over reacting. NRS messed up by for whatever reason saying there's less focus on combos when as we can already tell from breakdowns and the beta that its not the case. There's just as much combo potential as any other NRS games, the only real difference is combos are a lot less damaging, which is most likely what NRS meant in the first place.

John Grizzly

This lack of combos has clearly been proven to be people over reacting. NRS messed up by for whatever reason saying there's less focus on combos when as we can already tell from breakdowns and the beta that its not the case. There's just as much combo potential as any other NRS games, the only real difference is combos are a lot less damaging, which is most likely what NRS meant in the first place.
There's definitely not as much combo potential, from what we've seen so far. If you can watch Erron's reveal and tell me there's as much combo potential as he had in MKX, I don't know what to tell you.

I love the game, don't get me wrong, but the combos are much different (no high launches, more gravity, no NJPs) and much shorter. I don't think there's any arguing that.

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
There's definitely not as much combo potential, from what we've seen so far. If you can watch Erron's reveal and tell me there's as much combo potential as he had in MKX, I don't know what to tell you.

I love the game, don't get me wrong, but the combos are much different (no high launches, more gravity, no NJPs) and much shorter. I don't think there's any arguing that.
Relax. Realize that they showed 4 out of a possible 10-11 special moves that he has. Besides, the variations they showed are most likely not the final ones in the game. If he doesn't have a launcher out of the 6-7 other moves they didn't show, then you can complain.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy

I mean at the end of the day we haven't seen anywhere near close to everything the game has, and its easily possible for more combo routes to be made available, and on top of that we haven't had a chance to get lab time and optimise stuff.

Idk how long you think combos are supposed to last but they literally don't seem any different to me, combos tend to last around 5-10 seconds which is standard across the board in NRS games. I do think there are less combo routes than before depending on the character, but even then that's still character dependent. There was a decent amount of characters in MKX that had 1-2 launchers and MK11 doesn't seem any different, and again, this isn't accounting for the possible combo routes we may find.

I think the no combo worries people have be quickly quelled imo.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator

Yeah, agreed with @SonicNinja3532 that this concern is starting to feel overblown.

For one, if you've watched a lot of match footage from the betas, you've no doubt seen that people are already getting 30-50%+ combos with characters like Kabal and Baraka. Some of the combos during Kombat Kast matches have been similar. I really don't get the concern with how "long" or "high" the combos are if they're clearly doing huge damage--isn't that what matters?

Second, NRS is paying attention. During the beta, a lot of people noticed that Jade's damage output was pretty lackluster and that she had almost no mid-screen combo opportunities. But in the last Kombat Kast, they showed that her F21 string (double overhead) now pops up for a combo. So nothing is set in stone and characters who don't have decent combos may still get them.

And lastly, maybe I'm alone in this, but I think "unreactable 50/50s into infinite launching vortexes that take your whole health bar off one hit" can go to hell anyway. I don't want them in the game. Winning shouldn't be about who has the "trick" character or who memorized the hyper-optimized combo. You should have to land several convertible hits and generally outplay your opponent, not just out-execute them.

John Grizzly

Yeah, agreed with @SonicNinja3532 that this concern is starting to feel overblown.

For one, if you've watched a lot of match footage from the betas, you've no doubt seen that people are already getting 30-50%+ combos with characters like Kabal and Baraka. Some of the combos during Kombat Kast matches have been similar. I really don't get the concern with how "long" or "high" the combos are if they're clearly doing huge damage--isn't that what matters?

Second, NRS is paying attention. During the beta, a lot of people noticed that Jade's damage output was pretty lackluster and that she had almost no mid-screen combo opportunities. But in the last Kombat Kast, they showed that her F21 string (double overhead) now pops up for a combo. So nothing is set in stone and characters who don't have decent combos may still get them.

And lastly, maybe I'm alone in this, but I think "unreactable 50/50s into infinite launching vortexes that take your whole health bar off one hit" can go to hell anyway. I don't want them in the game. Winning shouldn't be about who has the "trick" character or who memorized the hyper-optimized combo. You should have to land several convertible hits and generally outplay your opponent, not just out-execute them.
I'm not talking about the damage, I'm talking about the combos themselves. I am well aware of the high damage potential with Krushing Blows and what not.

Performing combos in MK has always been one of the most fun things about the game to me.

Kabal and Baraka both did huge damage in the beta, but their combos were not very satisfying to perform to me.

My main game is Tekken, so I'm just used to the super long, crazy combos, that's all.

I really hope in this MK11 attack visuals always match their property. So to say an attack that appears to hit high can be blocked standing but will hit if you’re ducking or blocking low. So basic concept but always a few attacks creep in that visually don’t match the property. This really discourages new players who are already disadvantaged. I mean should knowing that attack A looks to hit low but really hits mid bc the devs made it so be an advantage?

IMO no I don’t want that. Just hoping this is kept to a minimum.

trufenix

bye felicia
I really hope in this MK11 attack visuals always match their property. So to say an attack that appears to hit high can be blocked standing but will hit if you’re ducking or blocking low. So basic concept but always a few attacks creep in that visually don’t match the property. This really discourages new players who are already disadvantaged. I mean should knowing that attack A looks to hit low but really hits mid bc the devs made it so be an advantage?

IMO no I don’t want that. Just hoping this is kept to a minimum.
too late. also; never going to happen. That game would suck.