What's new

MK11 one of the most balanced NRS games - Do you agree?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Mortal Kombat 9 was special in the sense that the game was NRS's first attempt at a competitive fighting game after a succession of embarrassingly broken fighting games. You played the 3D Mortal Kombat games and you know exactly what they were like. Mortal Kombat 9 will always be remembered as giving birth to the modern NRS community, as forming local scenes and friendships that continue to last to this day. The game itself, however, is degenerate, a catastrophically unbalanced piece of mess that is plagued with bugs, glitches, and irregularities. Mortal Kombat 9 was beyond repair in its coding and no "one more patch please" or "remastered version" could have saved the game. Mortal Kombat 11 is objectively better in every single way. As were the finished versions of Mortal Kombat X and Injustice 2. I say so as someone who played Mortal Kombat 9 religiously and placed top 8 at EVO.
I also played it religiously as I do every MK game, while I can't afford something like Evo like ever I did play in a bunch of locals in that game as well as TYM's hosted online tourneys and yes you're correct I did play the 3D MK's including the most broken ones(not just the ones Evo worthy like a lot of players out there) as well as every MK that came before from MK 1-current. Though they have made solid games like UMK3 and MK 2. Hell, even MK 4 while it may not be the most popular in the series, is a viable game that can easily be played at tournaments. MK vs DC was fun in it's own right had they only fixed Superman, Flash infinites and the DLC that was planned for it with Quan Chi and Harley, but Midway had already died by that time. At any rate, I did play the 3D games but I also played the older games a ton as well. I play/played every and all MK's. Where as most people fall into one genre of MK, I play them all even to this day. As someone who grew up as a kid playing MK, I can easily tell you MK is their best when 2D as oppose to 3D for sure. Like I said earlier, no franchise is perfect and they all at times have had flops and hits. MK is no different. It's what most of us here prefer but obviously nothing is flawless.

I can be here all day getting into why with numerous elements but I'll just use this one example as one of many reasons why MK 11 isn't as good as people think. From REO himself btw, and I happen to agree.

FTR, I'm not saying MK 9 is perfect by any means, but then neither is MK 11. There are lots of things in this game that are dumb, unbalanced, glitchy, inconsistent and just not good. Now, to be fair MK 11 has a lot more support and money than MK 9 did, MK 9 could have used a patch or two more and would have been nearly perfect along with a redone netcode. That being said, the game was still a lot more fun to me at least than MK X and MK 11. Not saying they're bad, I don't think any NRS game is "bad" per-se but it's obvious not everyone who plays NRS games thinks MK 11 is their best game ever. I've read a lot of people on here and elsewhere say they prefer different NRS games. Some like MK 9, others MK X, some I2 and others MK 11. They're all good in their own right, but honestly we don't really know that MK 9 is "beyond repair" there's people out there who literally do their own patch up versions of FG's including UMK3, MKT and MK 9. If they can do it, I have no doubt NRS can if they hired the right people with WB's money. Question is do they and would they.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
any games will have top and bottom characters. Just as one characters is the worst in the game dose not mean the game is grossly unbalanced.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
what buff do you need?
There's plenty of discussion on it in the Raiden discussion thread. I don't want to deviate from this thread too much, but some general frame data tuning and hitbox adjustments would probably put Raiden into the Mid Tier status. He's not that far away from being decent.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Mortal Kombat 9 was special in the sense that the game was NRS's first attempt at a competitive fighting game after a succession of embarrassingly broken fighting games. You played the 3D Mortal Kombat games and you know exactly what they were like. Mortal Kombat 9 will always be remembered as giving birth to the modern NRS community, as forming local scenes and friendships that continue to last to this day. The game itself, however, is degenerate, a catastrophically unbalanced piece of mess that is plagued with bugs, glitches, and irregularities. Mortal Kombat 9 was beyond repair in its coding and no "one more patch please" or "remastered version" could have saved the game. Mortal Kombat 11 is objectively better in every single way. As were the finished versions of Mortal Kombat X and Injustice 2. I say so as someone who played Mortal Kombat 9 religiously and placed top 8 at EVO.
I disagree completely. MK9 was a broken game, no arguments there, but it was immensily fun and allowed for a disturbing amount of player expression. Hell, I'm still finding myself hitting that game's lab to this day.

MKX was a clusterfuck and MK11 is bland and uninspired. In my opinion neither really compares to MK9... even if it was as broken as they come.

Fuck Kabal though.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
MK9 had Sheeva. MK11 does not. I think the choice is obvious.
Sheeva will very likely be added in KP2, as she will be MK11's counterpart to Bo' Rai Cho from MKX being the story mode cutscene only character that has become fully playable.

MKF30

Mk9 has more than 6 viable characters.

I disagree completely. MK9 was a broken game, no arguments there, but it was immensily fun and allowed for a disturbing amount of player expression. Hell, I'm still finding myself hitting that game's lab to this day.

MKX was a clusterfuck and MK11 is bland and uninspired. In my opinion neither really compares to MK9... even if it was as broken as they come.

Fuck Kabal though.
Hats funny is people talk about mk9 being broken yet it was popular and fun. You know what else was fun and popular, yet one of the most broken games In history? MVC2 lol.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Mk9 has more than 6 viable characters.

Hats funny is people talk about mk9 being broken yet it was popular and fun. You know what else was fun and popular, yet one of the most broken games In history? MVC2 lol.
We are long past that era where terribly broken games were popular. Now people expect them to be reasonably balanced, if not perfectly.

There’s way more money on the line, tournaments are bigger, and people are holding the devs accountable. Even Capcom no longer gets a free pass.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
If something like MVC2 or MK9 was released today, with upgraded graphics, the same gameplay mechanics/system, but without the nostalgia, people today would hate that game and complain about how broken it is.

MKF30

If something like MVC2 or MK9 was released today, with upgraded graphics, the same gameplay mechanics/system, but without the nostalgia, people today would hate that game and complain about how broken it is.
The Gen Zers and younger Milennials I'm sure, not so sure about the older gamers though, that's that before the days of patches, quick fixes etc. That's why you may remember SF, MK etc just had revisions of the same game but updated as oppose to a patch. I think the way things work now with patches, quick updates etc have spoiled some people imo. I also remember the days of how there were just revisions of the same game and that was that and the arcades. Yeah...I'm old. lol

We are long past that era where terribly broken games were popular. Now people expect them to be reasonably balanced, if not perfectly.

There’s way more money on the line, tournaments are bigger, and people are holding the devs accountable. Even Capcom no longer gets a free pass.
At the end of the day, I agree No game will be perfectly balanced, but while MK 9 wasn't perfectly balanced it was reasonably enough for millions of people to buy it and play it and perhaps most important of all the fun, enjoyable experience. Sometimes that's what matters most I mean after all these are video games meant for that reason. Like many others on here have said, I still play the game as well. It's not even tournaments so much as the industry of gaming is actually bigger than the movie and music industry, makes multi billion dollars each year which is insane considering what video games used to be back in the 70's, 80's, 90's etc how much they've evolved. People want their games patched, fixed as much as possible but it's understandable since we're also dishing out more money than in the past.

Last edited:

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
At the end of the day, I agree No game will be perfectly balanced, but while MK 9 wasn't perfectly balanced it was reasonably enough for millions of people to buy it and play it and perhaps most important of all the fun, enjoyable experience. Sometimes that's what matters most I mean after all these are video games meant for that reason. Like many others on here have said, I still play the game as well. It's not even tournaments so much as the industry of gaming is actually bigger than the movie and music industry, makes multi billion dollars each year which is insane considering what video games used to be back in the 70's, 80's, 90's etc how much they've evolved. People want their games patched, fixed as much as possible but it's understandable since we're also dishing out more money than in the past.
It's almost like every MK game before it was gimmicky weirdness or guilty pleasure garbage for over a decade prior to MK9's release and it was literally MK Trilogy recreated in the modern age. Boy, who woulda thought that would have sold well and be fondly remembered?

MKF30

It's almost like every MK game before it was gimmicky weirdness or guilty pleasure garbage for over a decade prior to MK9's release and it was literally MK Trilogy recreated in the modern age. Boy, who woulda thought that would have sold well and be fondly remembered?
Lots of people apparently, but that'swhy I mentioned mvc2 as well. Busted beyond belief yet was popular. Go figure. Kind of like sf 4 and 5 a modern version of ssf2 turbo. Haha

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I've never understood the importance of the lettering of tiers. Saying B is the lowest is meaningless if you have S+ S- S A+ A A- B. The whole point of ties is that one tiers is slightly better than the one above it. If A is your top tier. That's exactly the same as is being called S+++. And if B is the second tier, the difference between A and B is the same as the difference between S and A+. Everyone should just use A, B,C etc. Would be so much simpler

trufenix

bye felicia
I've never understood the importance of the lettering of tiers. Saying B is the lowest is meaningless if you have S+ S- S A+ A A- B. The whole point of ties is that one tiers is slightly better than the one above it. If A is your top tier. That's exactly the same as is being called S+++. And if B is the second tier, the difference between A and B is the same as the difference between S and A+. Everyone should just use A, B,C etc. Would be so much simpler
because I'd say 75% of the people in the FGC talking about, making, or even reading tier lists have no idea how or why the system was originally created. Now its just another stream monster up/downplay tool like combo videos and number of top 8 uses.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Mortal Kombat 9 was adequately deep for its time and had clearly defined character archetypes, both of which, I agree, allowed for player expression. Unfortunately, the game was inconceivably broken, though. About ten characters were viable at a high level and only about five characters were viable at the highest level. Today the game would not last a month in its current state. The entire community - from casual players to content creators to tournament players - would erupt in rage and demand that NRS make adjustments immediately. Standards for fighting games keep rising and people except a lot better now days.