What's new

MK11 Kano Discussion

I dunno, I just dash and mix on knockdown. I can usually take someone to the corner very quickly, or I'll make them back into the corner. Either way, I haven't had any issues mixing people midscreen or in the corner, and then keeping them mixed once I get that knockdown.
Hey bro,
Can you record some of your matches against notable players? I have no ego and would love to see what you're doing and learn.
I haven't had any problems against low-level players but against top players, It feels extremely one-sided.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Hey bro,
Can you record some of your matches against notable players? I have no ego and would love to see what you're doing and learn.
I haven't had any problems against low-level players but against top players, It feels extremely one-sided.
Yeah, I was looking for my matches with Eldriken but my PS4 already saved over them. The next time I fight anyone who's not free I'll upload the matches.

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
I just cant with you guys.

Yeah kano is ok but he's still a bottom tier character. Just look at geras, Sonya, subzero etc do you really think kano can compete with those characters at a high level. i mean cmon guys stop it already he needs help. im not gonna argue too much i did that in mkx and it was a complete waste of time.

i guess ill just have to play a bottom tier character again just like when i played cybernetic. i really dont understand the Kano community is it a pride thing a ego thing to not acknowledge our character lacks the tools to compete against the top tiers. Idk what else to say you guys need to wake up

I just cant with you guys.

Yeah kano is ok but he's still a bottom tier character. Just look at geras, Sonya, subzero etc do you really think kano can compete with those characters at a high level. i mean cmon guys stop it already he needs help. im not gonna argue too much i did that in mkx and it was a complete waste of time.

i guess ill just have to play a bottom tier character again just like when i played cybernetic. i really dont understand the Kano community is it a pride thing a ego thing to not acknowledge our character lacks the tools to compete against the top tiers. Idk what else to say you guys need to wake up
Please Refer to this forum Sir lol
https://testyourmight.com/threads/dear-nrs-and-kano-nation.69583/

Yoaks

A spaceman
I think you’re opponents are being too respectful. You can react to Kano doing a dash up mix and react with a button. I don’t know the exact frames but just tried recording it and it seems pretty easy if you’re ready for it.

Kano can probably do some counter play - maybe he can get away with more overheads if the opponents is looking for a dash, but it doesn’t seem particularly strong imo.
I've had the same problems with ppl walking back on me on they're wu. I have been using f3 to stop that but thats obviously super risky. No one has punished me hard for it yet tho. Gonna use this until they do.

Yoaks

A spaceman
I think you’re opponents are being too respectful. You can react to Kano doing a dash up mix and react with a button. I don’t know the exact frames but just tried recording it and it seems pretty easy if you’re ready for it.

Kano can probably do some counter play - maybe he can get away with more overheads if the opponents is looking for a dash, but it doesn’t seem particularly strong imo.
Just thought of this too. I wonder if f12 would catch ppl walking back on wakup after getting hit by say command grab? Something to test.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Just thought of this too. I wonder if f12 would catch ppl walking back on wakup after getting hit by say command grab? Something to test.
F12 can work against walk back but will lose to wake up crouching normals (as I’m sure you know, but just explaining in case anyone else doesn’t). Actually back dash avoids f12 too sadly (at least for Cetrion - she dodges the first hit and then recovers in time to block the spit.

Unfortunately, I think he has to take a big risk or do a mixup with mediocre risk reward unless he cuts his combo short to get a better knockdown (ending a juggle in dash uppercut will give you real oki).

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
This character discussion is pretty much going like I'd imagine it would.

Kano is a good character. He's a solid character, but he is not top tier by any means. He does have a handful of losing matchups, but it's important to realize that he has a handful of winning matchups too.

He might receive a buff sometime in the future, but it'll probably be fixes instead of actual buffs. F1 and the second hit of 11 could be fixed to not whiff on crouch blocking opponents and F12 could be remade to be an actual usable move (this second one might not ever happen). Dirtbag also needs a ton of work imo; comparatively to Ripper, it's really lacking.

Other variations might also give Kano a change, but tbh I feel like this character absolutely needs his command grab at the moment. I don't think just having a variation with Ripper without command grab will do Kano any favors at all. A Bio-Pull variation might be tournament viable though; it's what I'm hoping his next variation will be.

I could understand why some people are saying he is lacking in some departments, because he is by design. Mixups and Oki are not where he is lacking though @Paul the Octopus

Forward Throw > Dash In = +2 or +3
Options:
Command Grab will reach and can't be stuffed by most mids.
B3 will catch jump away and backdash
The fear of these options opens up other mix opportunities.

Command Grab:
Options:
Dash in Regular Throw stuffs out all 9 frame or slower standing attempts.
Jump in

Back Throw:
Options:
Dash in Regular Throw stuffs out all 9 frame or slower standing attempts
Jump in

Amplified Command Grab:
Options:
Dash In D1 catches jump away attempts. This option opens literally every single mixup you have.

Hope this helps some of you out.

Last edited:

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter

Kano is a good character. He's a solid character, but he is not top tier by any means. He does have a handful of losing matchups, but it's important to realize that he has a handful of winning matchups too.

He might receive a buff sometime in the future, but it'll probably be fixes instead of actual buffs. F1 and the second hit of 11 could be fixed to not whiff on crouch blocking opponents and F12 could be remade to be an actual usable move (this second one might not ever happen). Dirtbag also needs a ton of work imo; comparatively to Ripper, it's really lacking.

Other variations might also give Kano a change, but tbh I feel like this character absolutely needs his command grab at the moment. I don't think just having a variation with Ripper without command grab will do Kano any favors at all. A Bio-Pull variation might be tournament viable though; it's what I'm hoping his next variation will be.

I could understand why some people are saying he is lacking in some departments, because he is by design. Mixups and Oki are not where he is lacking though @Paul the Octopus

Options:

Command Grab:
Options:
Jump in

Back Throw:
Options:
Jump in

Amplified Command Grab:
Options:
Dash In D1 catches jump away attempts. This option opens literally every single mixup you have.

Thanks dude! I had not tested his regular forward throw or ex command grab into dash d1, those options are def quite solid (especially for forward throw) and that’s very helpful to know.

I still think non amplified command grab (and b4) oki options are not very good relative to what other characters get though (Kollectors options seem significantly better for example, and he’s not even considered especially strong to my knowledge?). Kano’s jump is extremely floaty and can definitely be d2 on reaction. Opponents ducking on wake up and hitting d1 if you dash or d2 if you jump shuts down most things other than b3 or f3 (unsafe). B3 is a fine option but not particularly scary.

Last edited:

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Hey bro,
Here you go.

@Sutter Pain and I play a lot, so he's really good at ignoring a lot of my gimmicks and setups. I do a ton of d1-throw attempts, so you'll see him eating a lot of d1's as he neutral-crouches to punish my throw attempts. You'll also see that he very rarely falls for my parry shenanigans, where most players would throw out a poke or throw and get caught.

Last edited:

Options:

Command Grab:
Options:
Jump in

Back Throw:
Options:
Jump in

Amplified Command Grab:
Options:

Pokes beat all these options
Here you go.

@Sutter Pain and I play a lot, so he's really good at ignoring a lot of my gimmicks and setups. I do a ton of d1-throw attempts, so you'll see him eating a lot of d1's as he neutral-crouches to punish my throw attempts. You'll also see that he very rarely falls for my parry shenanigans, where most players would throw out a poke or throw and get caught.
Thanks, the opponent respected you a lot. Can I set you up in a match vs some of the players I play against?

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Thanks dude! I had not tested his regular forward throw or ex command grab into dash d1, those options are def quite solid (especially for forward throw) and that’s very helpful to know.

I still think non amplified command grab (and b4) oki options are not very good relative to what other characters get though (Kollectors options seem significantly better for example, and he’s not even considered especially strong to my knowledge?). Kano’s jump is extremely floaty and can definitely be d2 on reaction. Opponents ducking on wake up and hitting d1 if you dash or d2 if you jump shuts down most things other than b3 or f3 (unsafe). B3 is a fine option but not particularly scary.
You're right about the jump in. The point is that once you start enforcing some of these options, the opponent really needs to guess between a bunch of options on wakeup. Even F4 could be used meaty on an opponent's wakeup from B-Throw and Command Grabs.

Trevor

Noob
Speaking about oki setups. How the hell does one setup the training dummy to do a 7frame d1 on wakeup? I only see reversals and specials as wakeup option and I don't see how this would work if you record it. Anyone know how to do it?

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
I tested kanos up 2 wakeup and it’s incredible. It will hit someone doing a jumping crossup on the back of kanos head. Then you will sideswitch to confirm into a combo.

It’s also 2 hits so it will catch people blocking to attack after our up 3 wakeup