What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

I've noticed several non Johnny players aka tryhards using Showstopper just because it got buffed and I don't like it. Always tbag and fatality these people.
All the johnnys i faced in SoT afterpatch where still using shock jock also can we realy call people that pick johnny try hards at all at this point xD?

(Actualy yes cause we still bust our asses to represent our character)

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
So..played huge sets against my skilled friends.

Cassie main took a shit on all my plus frames with b2 which beats everything, forceballs whiff so that went to crap, so all I got left is to go for the 50% unbreakable.

What a joke. The instant my life went in the red he shifted in walkback mode. Constant walkback low guns, and b2 and f4 spam in my block. He did nothing except take the throw, which put him fullscreen and guess what. Low gun timeeee.

Also d3/d4 spammed every single time which not only cancelled all my highs but also interrupted f4 as well.

He literally shit on the whole OMG 50% unbreakable, because Cassie wallback and forceball whiff.

I literally had to win by throwing him and d4 spam myself.

Yes, I won several matches, I was only pointing out how crap the upplay is for the unbreakable combo, since you aint got shit to open'em up once they start Justin Wong lame mode.

All the johnnys i faced in SoT afterpatch where still using shock jock also can we realy call people that pick johnny try hards at all at this point xD?

(Actualy yes cause we still bust our asses to represent our character)
Look at their records after you beat them. They usually have no more than 300 matches with Cage (Showstopper). These are tryhards that are looking for cheap wins. Where were they in the beginning? I'm sure everybody here will use Cage no matter what buffs or nerfs come his way. NRS really did a good job at allowing us to see match replays and our opponents' records.

Look at their records after you beat them. They usually have no more than 300 matches with Cage (Showstopper). These are tryhards that are looking for cheap wins. Where were they in the beginning? I'm sure everybody here will use Cage no matter what buffs or nerfs come his way. NRS really did a good job at allowing us to see match replays and our opponents' records.
Fair enough

Cassie main took a shit on all my plus frames with b2 which beats everything, forceballs whiff so that went to crap, so all I got left is to go for the 50% unbreakable.

What a joke. The instant my life went in the red he shifted in walkback mode. Constant walkback low guns, and b2 and f4 spam in my block. He did nothing except take the throw, which put him fullscreen and guess what. Low gun timeeee.

Also d3/d4 spammed every single time which not only cancelled all my highs but also interrupted f4 as well.

He literally shit on the whole OMG 50% unbreakable, because Cassie wallback and forceball whiff.

Yes, I won several matches, I was only pointing out how crap the upplay is for the unbreakable combo, since you aint got shit to open'em up once they start Justin Wong lame mode.
Her low gun isn't actually a low. Shadow kick always connects after it's blocked too. It's really the only way to close the gap. Once they start shooting high then you can trade with force balls.

thlityoursloat

kick kick

I've said it before and I'll say again. Johnny has the worst grab game in the entire game. No KBs on either and no loops or even oki, it's terrible.

Error404

Noob
I started using short hop 2 vs people who respect d4 after nutpunch. Works decently enough , unless you get jump 2 by accident and whiff for about 60 years.

God forbid someone wanted to learn a character and join the JC community.
I'm all for new players learning Cage, because being good with him means you can transition to any character. Because he lacks an overhead and crushing blows you'll be forced to learn the fundamentals of the game, frame data, etc.
But it's not a coincidence that all of the sudden I'm playing against Kollectors, a crazy amount and Arachnophobia D'Vorahs, and several Showstopper Cage players since the update. The Liu Kang playerbase seemed to have doubled over night too.

Since Boon is talking 3rd variations what would you guys like to see? If they don't reuse abilities I'd be willing to bet we see one of these as a variation....

1) Low /High Forceball + Rising Star

2) Stunt Double + Pissed Off

Just spent a little lab time with both variations and they both suck, lol. I'm kidding, sort of. If they shave a few start up frames off of SD I could work with that. I really like Rising Star but Low/High FB's whiff more than Straight FB's, lul.

My ideal variation would be Brass Knuckles, Pissed Off, and Rising Star but I doubt that will be a thing.

What do you think?

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Since Boon is talking 3rd variations what would you guys like to see? If they don't reuse abilities I'd be willing to bet we see one of these as a variation....

Just spent a little lab time with both variations and they both suck, lol. I'm kidding, sort of. If they shave a few start up frames off of SD I could work with that. I really like Rising Star but Low/High FB's whiff more than Straight FB's, lul.

My ideal variation would be Brass Knuckles, Pissed Off, and Rising Star but I doubt that will be a thing.

What do you think?
I'm torn on Rising Star, tbh. The normal version seems like a REALLY good anti-air, and the EX version seems similar to Cassie's EX Rising Glow Kick, except ours doesn't have a gap in it. -3 on block, hits against small crouch-blocking hitboxes where Forceballs can't, and leaves you +31 at point blank range on knockdown for some oki. BUT... it whiffs after F3/244 and B34 on block. It'll only connect on block after a lone F3 or B3, but will still whiff if the B3 connects from max distance. The second hit of the EX version will still hit, but it can be Flawless Blocked at that point. And since I'm pretty damn sure that Rising Star will be a part of his 3rd variation, I wonder if it's worth trying to bring this up now so that maybe it can be fixed by the time the new variation gets released. But then again, I still think it'll be serviceable even if that doesn't get addressed.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like Rising Star will still connect after F344 on block if they're crouch blocking, so it looks like all they have to do is reduce the damn push block on that string for it to work across the board.

Last edited:
How many of yall still Main Johnny? I mean actually main him and not use anybody else? because shoutouts to all of you man. In a way I wish I stuck with him but I remember how little fun it was using him

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
How many of yall still Main Johnny? I mean actually main him and not use anybody else? because shoutouts to all of you man. In a way I wish I stuck with him but I remember how little fun it was using him
I'm still using him, although I'll use Cassie and Skarlet for some of his tougher matchups

Error404

Noob
I'm just baffled by NRSs design choices for this game and this character.

In MKX , brass knuckles took to long to activate , so they gave it an ex version, that made the move a lot better. Now , it's even slower and it doesn't have an ex version.

"High " and "Low" forceballs hit in the exact same place . Nowhere , outside of fullscreen . To top this of they do not increase combo potential over straight forceballs

Ex Parry is easily the biggest waste of bar in any fighting game I've ever played. Instead of increasing the chance of the move landing, it practicly makes the chance of you getting punished 1000% (up from the low number of 100%).

Shades toss is a dead move outside of its KB.

Shadow kick doesn't have any ex for some reason.

I mean seriously , how do you step so far back from MKX in design quality.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Really hoping that Pissed Off is in the next variation, since its a high-damage ender that also knocks the opponent far enough so that they can't use a wakeup attack. I could see that getting paired with Stunt Double, in case that they're not reusing moves from other variations, or a combination of Rising Star and High Forceball.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
If we do end up getting Stunt Double in the 3rd variation, I hope they do something about its start-up. As it stands, ending combos with it basically gives your opponent a free hit before your stand-in actually shows up. They buffed the speed of Shao Kahn's Dark Priest buff, so I don't see why something similar can't happen here for SD or Brass Knuckles.

I'm just baffled by NRSs design choices for this game and this character.

In MKX , brass knuckles took to long to activate , so they gave it an ex version, that made the move a lot better. Now , it's even slower and it doesn't have an ex version.

"High " and "Low" forceballs hit in the exact same place . Nowhere , outside of fullscreen . To top this of they do not increase combo potential over straight forceballs

Ex Parry is easily the biggest waste of bar in any fighting game I've ever played. Instead of increasing the chance of the move landing, it practicly makes the chance of you getting punished 1000% (up from the low number of 100%).

Shades toss is a dead move outside of its KB.

Shadow kick doesn't have any ex for some reason.

I mean seriously , how do you step so far back from MKX in design quality.
I’m glad someone finally discussed shadow kick.

It’s high and super negative on block and whiff, the fact that it only goes midscreen is baffling to me.

Owerbart

I miss you

What do you think?
just a version that has acceptable normals that's all

Really hoping that Pissed Off is in the next variation, since its a high-damage ender that also knocks the opponent far enough so that they can't use a wakeup attack. I could see that getting paired with Stunt Double, in case that they're not reusing moves from other variations, or a combination of Rising Star and High Forceball.
And has Cage's best brutality.
I’m glad someone finally discussed shadow kick.

It’s high and super negative on block and whiff, the fact that it only goes midscreen is baffling to me.
it just needs a crushing blow.