What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

Error404

Noob
I'm just baffled by NRSs design choices for this game and this character.

In MKX , brass knuckles took to long to activate , so they gave it an ex version, that made the move a lot better. Now , it's even slower and it doesn't have an ex version.

"High " and "Low" forceballs hit in the exact same place . Nowhere , outside of fullscreen . To top this of they do not increase combo potential over straight forceballs

Ex Parry is easily the biggest waste of bar in any fighting game I've ever played. Instead of increasing the chance of the move landing, it practicly makes the chance of you getting punished 1000% (up from the low number of 100%).

Shades toss is a dead move outside of its KB.

Shadow kick doesn't have any ex for some reason.

I mean seriously , how do you step so far back from MKX in design quality.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Premium Supporter
Really hoping that Pissed Off is in the next variation, since its a high-damage ender that also knocks the opponent far enough so that they can't use a wakeup attack. I could see that getting paired with Stunt Double, in case that they're not reusing moves from other variations, or a combination of Rising Star and High Forceball.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
If we do end up getting Stunt Double in the 3rd variation, I hope they do something about its start-up. As it stands, ending combos with it basically gives your opponent a free hit before your stand-in actually shows up. They buffed the speed of Shao Kahn's Dark Priest buff, so I don't see why something similar can't happen here for SD or Brass Knuckles.

I'm just baffled by NRSs design choices for this game and this character.

In MKX , brass knuckles took to long to activate , so they gave it an ex version, that made the move a lot better. Now , it's even slower and it doesn't have an ex version.

"High " and "Low" forceballs hit in the exact same place . Nowhere , outside of fullscreen . To top this of they do not increase combo potential over straight forceballs

Ex Parry is easily the biggest waste of bar in any fighting game I've ever played. Instead of increasing the chance of the move landing, it practicly makes the chance of you getting punished 1000% (up from the low number of 100%).

Shades toss is a dead move outside of its KB.

Shadow kick doesn't have any ex for some reason.

I mean seriously , how do you step so far back from MKX in design quality.
I’m glad someone finally discussed shadow kick.

It’s high and super negative on block and whiff, the fact that it only goes midscreen is baffling to me.

Owerbart

I miss you
Since Boon is talking 3rd variations what would you guys like to see? If they don't reuse abilities I'd be willing to bet we see one of these as a variation....

1) Low /High Forceball + Rising Star

2) Stunt Double + Pissed Off

Just spent a little lab time with both variations and they both suck, lol. I'm kidding, sort of. If they shave a few start up frames off of SD I could work with that. I really like Rising Star but Low/High FB's whiff more than Straight FB's, lul.

My ideal variation would be Brass Knuckles, Pissed Off, and Rising Star but I doubt that will be a thing.

What do you think?
just a version that has acceptable normals that's all

Really hoping that Pissed Off is in the next variation, since its a high-damage ender that also knocks the opponent far enough so that they can't use a wakeup attack. I could see that getting paired with Stunt Double, in case that they're not reusing moves from other variations, or a combination of Rising Star and High Forceball.
And has Cage's best brutality.
I’m glad someone finally discussed shadow kick.

It’s high and super negative on block and whiff, the fact that it only goes midscreen is baffling to me.
it just needs a crushing blow.

LarSanity

Who hired this guy
Did something change I'm having a hard time landing any bnb consistently?
After amp nut 121 keeps missing or after b2 my f3 nut misses and turns into f34 and we all know how that turns out.

Does anyone have people they watch for consistent johnny content? Most I watch have switched to other characters

Error404

Noob
Did something change I'm having a hard time landing any bnb consistently?
After amp nut 121 keeps missing or after b2 my f3 nut misses and turns into f34 and we all know how that turns out.

Does anyone have people they watch for consistent johnny content? Most I watch have switched to other characters
Nah . Everything is the same.

How many of yall still Main Johnny? I mean actually main him and not use anybody else? because shoutouts to all of you man. In a way I wish I stuck with him but I remember how little fun it was using him
I don’t think any player doesn’t “use anybody else” u can still main Johnny and have pocket characters. I for one use Baraka and Kotal and Raiden. But I still consistently do the best with Mr. Cage. And I use him the most. So he is my main. I still have a blast with him. In my online character stats I’m + 100 kills over my deaths. I don’t think Johnny players need a pat on the back just for playing him. He serves his purpose

thlityoursloat

Scarlet peeing

Look at this OVERPOWERED footsie MONSTER with +3 and +6 everywhere literally get his entire gameplan foiled by crouching buttons.
The footsie GOD would just get clipped out of both f3 and b3 by erron's aquman trident foot, yes, even when he's oppressing you with his forceballs that people would have you believe are just as plus as pre patch MKX Lao's hatspin.

Let's face it, how can a character be "good at footsies" when all it takes is one good crouching normal and all of a sudden it's miserable trying to open anyone up?
I'm sorry, but to be truthful, this character is only overwhelming when:
a) you play a male who doesn't have crazy downpokes
b) you're just not comfortable neutral crouching often

E; the next game in the tourney, he goes up against a sonya who just d2s him the whole game. Lol.

Last edited:

heildan

NANI?!
I thought he played very well and those were great matches to watch. Might need to watch some of those vs. Sonya matches you talked about.

Anyway, I'll say it again, I still firmly believe that Shock Jock has better tools to deal against most of the cast, specially Erron. I mean, the agressive ones. By how this game was designed, the poke system and alikes, like you've said anything across pokes and faster mid strings literally blows Johnny's game.

Shock Jock's mime is there to make people hesitate to abuse those kind of things. And it does works really well if you can make the right reads, learn from how your opponent plays his character, pay attention to if they have somehow a tendency to punish using the same strings, etc, etc. You can get punished real hard if you mess it up, so better use it carefully. But you know what? It really cover his weaknesses and disrupts people.

I find it hard to deal with people who really gets going on you because they know well about the MU against Sexmachine when I use Showstopper.
That's what makes it hard for me to move on from that variation.

I think from now on we should gather info on how well each of his variations goes against certain characters and MU's, if they're likely harder or easier depending on what you pick.

Last edited:

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
There's nothing like getting yolo d2-ed after +6 or +7 when you do f3.
Hell sometimes it works even on f4.

Makes you want to come back here in this thread and beat all those upplayers with the gamepad.

It's even better when you play against 6framers, now there you find out about how useless Cage really is.

But nooo, monstrous pressure after d1 didnt you hear +6 OMFG

It doesn't matter that Kang does +3 in a 9 frame mid block infinite stagger and skarlet jails 44 +6 into half her movelist guaranteed, those we don't care about, NERF CAGE FFS BROKENTIERWTFNRS

thlityoursloat

Scarlet peeing
I thought he played very well and those were great matches to watch. Might need to watch some of those vs. Sonya matches you talked about.

Anyway, I'll say it again, I still firmly believe that Shock Jock has better tools to deal against most of the cast, specially Erron. I mean, the agressive ones. By how this game was designed, the poke system and alikes, like you've said anything across pokes and faster mid strings literally blows Johnny's game.

Shock Jock's mime is there to make people hesitate to abuse those kind of things. And it does works really well if you can make the right reads, learn from how your opponent plays his character, pay attention to if they have somehow a tendency to punish using the same strings, etc, etc. You can get punished real hard if you mess it up, so better use it carefully. But you know what? It really cover his weaknesses and disrupts people.

I find it hard to deal with people who really gets going on you because they know well about the MU against Sexmachine when I use Showstopper.
That's what makes it hard for me to move on from that variation.

I think from now on we should gather info on how well each of his variations goes against certain characters and MU's, if they're likely harder or easier depending on what you pick.
He didn't play poorly, Yammini is a super respectable player, I was just saying that even someone that good can't make Johnny look like anything else other than a piece of junk against someone who's clearly very comfy in the MU.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
You simply can't use Showstopper against Kang. Without threat of poke~nut punch or, normal~mime time, he has nothing to fear and will just F4 all day. Literally every approach is blocked and then it's stagger city. Playing Cage means making reads and taking risks, and you don't get that with Showstopper.

I refuse to play this dogshit Kombat League ever again until they put a ping filter, every fucking game today was 120ms.

Here I come player matches, unfortunate thing is people here always leave after 1 match smh

You simply can't use Showstopper against Kang. Without threat of poke~nut punch or, normal~mime time, he has nothing to fear and will just F4 all day. Literally every approach is blocked and then it's stagger city. Playing Cage means making reads and taking risks, and you don't get that with Showstopper.
The whiff tech is still there, he can’t f4 you to death in a good connection.

Oddly enough in a bad connection you can just 124-121 after d1 on block and beat f4 every time lol so I guess we break even.

heildan

NANI?!
Man, I'm already tired of this patch. Liu is so braindead right now, it really takes all the fun of this game. Fuck KL.

Sometimes it gets tiring of winning without landing a single Krushing Blow while people lands 2 or 3 per match.

Last edited:
Man, I'm already tired of this patch. Liu is so braindead right now, it really takes all the fun of this game. Fuck KL.

Sometimes it gets tiring of winning without landing a single Krushing Blow while people lands 2 or 3 per match.
Did Liu actually get buffed or did everybody else get shittier? I too noticed a massive amount of Liu Kang players and most of them are using his teleport variation.

heildan

NANI?!
Did Liu actually get buffed or did everybody else get shittier? I too noticed a massive amount of Liu Kang players and most of them are using his teleport variation.
Its the poke system change, which is better across the cast. Basically he pokes you into his jailing and the jailing into more jailing everyday til' you get bored to damnation.