What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I fail at it so often online though. When I do get it, my brain is like: "YOU DID IT DUDE!" and then I fuck up the punish. Big weakness in my game.
It's surprisingly not that hard, I've come across a few players that flawless blocked my Scarlet strings very consistently. It's flawless blocking buttons in the neutral that's really really hard. Try FBing a big leg for example, they're shockingly tricky.
and just up2, a lot of flawless blocks don't even make the string totally unsafe.

DeftMonk

Noob
about the optimals bro...just do nutpunch ex into dash 121 shadow kick. Occasionally you want to end in a nutpunch unless u feel ur opponent knows the match up better than you and dont want to be nut punching. While your doin the combo i noted just practice doing this combo: ex nut punch :buffer dash during last hit of ex nutpunch 2 f4 nutpunch for restand. After restand game is kinda like thsi: if u think they will d1: ur d1 if timed correctly beats it, d1 then grab or d1 f4 or d1 124(if they block u got plus frames). If you think they will block: grab. Also like someone said above, f3 stagger game is no joke. If opponent is crouch blocking a shitload (on top of hella grabbing and dash grabbing) start ur stagger game with F3. F3 followed immediately by another f3 or a grab.

Another thing to note about restands and staggering: assume your opponent will addapt. Thus going straight from f3 into grab on your first stagger might not be the best idea as their reaction might be to let go of block next time and d2 ur throw(this also blows up f3f3). Just think about how you can make ur oppoent fuck up and when it changes to a counter fuck that up too.

Owerbart

I miss you
at this point i'm 100% sure that johnny is a bottom 3 kharacter. I just find hilarious how a "footsies" kharacter has such atrocious normals. JC is only a gimmick kharacter with no real threats. Even mashers that don't know whats going on have a chance on beating you.

whiffing issues are of course backbreaking, but saying that that is the only problem is trying to cover the sun with a finger.

Owerbart

I miss you
How are you using Mime Time to get value in a typical match? It's such an awkward parry for me to use that I really only save it to punish wakeups, otherwise it just feels like I'm holding up a 'Hit me' sign.
because mime time can hardly be considered a parry when it takes 5f to activate. It's probably, like 70% of cage specials, are in contedership for "worst moves in the game". And the fact that such a comical move is one of the few ways to get a KB speaks miles of how devastatingly horrible Johnny Cage's design is in this game.

also, i think this is something that its not getting addressed that much, but the meter system in this game is a big "fuck you" to johnny. In previous games JC preyed on building meter thru blockstrings, which is useless here. Same way as the chip damage is too thin to matter.

The Johnny Cage tower that's up right now is literally impossible to do. This is bullshit. Why do we have to have modifiers? It's the dumbest thing ever.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
The Johnny Cage tower that's up right now is literally impossible to do. This is bullshit. Why do we have to have modifiers? It's the dumbest thing ever.
I just beat it with some guy I met who played Kung Lao and I was Shang. He’s not too bad of you pick a strong zoning character. The Kung Lao guy did about 30% of the damage and I did the other 70%. It took a few tries.

Zoning is the key, especially when Cage gets armor.

Edit: we used zero modifiers.

at this point i'm 100% sure that johnny is a bottom 3 kharacter. I just find hilarious how a "footsies" kharacter has such atrocious normals. JC is only a gimmick kharacter with no real threats. Even mashers that don't know whats going on have a chance on beating you.

whiffing issues are of course backbreaking, but saying that that is the only problem is trying to cover the sun with a finger.
Not bottom 3 in my opinion. B tier in the right hands.
I just beat it with some guy I met who played Kung Lao and I was Shang. He’s not too bad of you pick a strong zoning character. The Kung Lao guy did about 30% of the damage and I did the other 70%. It took a few tries.

Zoning is the key, especially when Cage gets armor.

Edit: we used zero modifiers.
just tell me if I can get that outfit in the krypt so.I can stop. I don't have the patience.

D

Deleted member 35141

Gonna try that tower later, its best to use a character that has great projectile for the types of towers. Sonyas my difficult tower character easy 40% damage and her rings are amazing.

On a side note despite my irritation with cage im still playing and winning it just gets almost like a 2nd job how much work he needs to win.
Honestly the character has made my footsies and general pressure that much better, so hopefully he gets alittle buffs.

What do you guys feel is most important fixes he needs between
Whiffs, useful KBs, faster starters, or does he need mids

Owerbart

I miss you
Gonna try that tower later, its best to use a character that has great projectile for the types of towers. Sonyas my difficult tower character easy 40% damage and her rings are amazing.

On a side note despite my irritation with cage im still playing and winning it just gets almost like a 2nd job how much work he needs to win.
Honestly the character has made my footsies and general pressure that much better, so hopefully he gets alittle buffs.

What do you guys feel is most important fixes he needs between
Whiffs, useful KBs, faster starters, or does he need mids
MIDS

--power gap--

whiffs
faster starters
kbs

in that order

D

Deleted member 35141

MIDS

--power gap--

whiffs
faster starters
kbs

in that order
I'm okay without mids if his moves were alittle faster like f3 should be like 11 frames cause its such a high risk move and f2 should be like 9 frames giving him a fast forward advancing punish like the rest of the cast.
I think f4 is fine being such a long-range mid. B3 I'm not sure it does reach far maybe like 15 or 16 frames would be good as some characters have 12 and 13 frame lows but dont reach as far.
Now that's assuming NRS doesnt know how to fix the Whiff and KB issues.

I think the hardest part of this tower was finding an adequate partner. I kept getting paired up with so and so "420" or something something "boi" who kept trying to go 1 on 1 with their Scorpion. Once I got matched up with someone who realized you have to sub early and often it was a breeze.

As far as what Johnny needs, I'm pretty sure we're all in agreement about the same issues, whiffing, KB's yata yata yata. I think by bringing some of the S tiers down to an even playing field would help our boy out immensely. Not exactly sure how to go about that but if they started by deleting Sonya from the game I wouldn't be that upset.

Last edited:

heildan

NANI?!
I have some faith in NRS to fix the hitboxes issues and changing/animate some new KBs despite not fixing them hitboxes in the prior games. That can't be any more difficult than fixin an entire netcode from ground up like they did with MKX.

Maybe that's why they are taking their time to release a patch, at least I hope.

Btw, I'm glad that this forum is getting together, looking for improvements to our character and helping others with their gameplan as players. We had our time raging about some things, but it's time to move on.

One thing I hate about Cage is how dumb his brutalities and requirements are. Some characters can simply grab you once and activate them at the end of the match. But Cage has to grab 3 times first. Not that it's hard to pull off since you're grabbing a lot anyway, but damn. Mic check is his easiest one to do. It's just weak along with the others. Shoves a microphone down your throat, shoves a pen in your eye, shoves a trophy in your skull. We get it, he's an actor. What happened to the funny, but badass ones from MKX? Like nutpunching someones head off or the bloodsport kick. They were quick, brutal, and fun to do.
I hope they add knew ones, and we get a fatality dlc too. His fatalities suck ass as well.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
One thing I hate about Cage is how dumb his brutalities and requirements are. Some characters can simply grab you once and activate them at the end of the match. But Cage has to grab 3 times first. Not that it's hard to pull off since you're grabbing a lot anyway, but damn. Mic check is his easiest one to do. It's just weak along with the others. Shoves a microphone down your throat, shoves a pen in your eye, shoves a trophy in your skull. We get it, he's an actor. What happened to the funny, but badass ones from MKX? Like nutpunching someones head off or the bloodsport kick. They were quick, brutal, and fun to do.
I hope they add knew ones, and we get a fatality dlc too. His fatalities suck ass as well.
Gotta admit the Mime Time one is pretty dope

After taking some time away to explore other games I think I'm ready to hop back on the mk11 Johnny grind. I've heard Johnny is starting to be considered a pretty solid character. Also it felt great coming back and seeing that tech Mantis found. Seems like that might be a big deal

D

Deleted member 35141

I wish we could turn off some of the end round taunts they are all pretty cool visually, but damn he backs up so far with some of them.
I've been using caged rage alot more the last couple weeks, I need to start incorporating brass knuckles more.
When do you guys find it best to use them?

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I wish we could turn off some of the end round taunts they are all pretty cool visually, but damn he backs up so far with some of them.
I've been using caged rage alot more the last couple weeks, I need to start incorporating brass knuckles more.
When do you guys find it best to use them?

Some opponents aren’t worth it, like Cetrion, but opponents like Jax, Liu Kang, Jacqui....I’ll pop it from time to time by doing a combo like: starter, NP(a), 121~brass knuckles. More often than not, I do it close to a corner of if I’m on a zoning mission and need to finish off a small amount of health on an opponent.

It’s extremely situational because getting it out safely means knocking them way back, and then you only get about 10 seconds of use. Makes you be aggressive which I don’t think fits Cage’s playstyle...unless it does. Usually when being aggressive you don’t wanna take the opportunity to slow down to activate it, but if you’re close to a corner you can, and then rush down. Most times however, you just want to stay on top of them.

It’s tough. Against someone like Jax, you can really do a ton of chip damage, but others, it might be better to just keep on them.

If you have CR level 3 and BK activated, you can do an incredible amount of damage on block, but it can be a real crap shoot. I don’t love the amount of unpredictability.

This is a special that suffers greatly from the whiffing. If all highs and forceballs hit on block, it would be extremely effective...but it’s just not.

Curious to see how far the "Johnny only no alts" crew made it in S1 KL? I'm done with S1 for the night but we have a few more hours left which I'm sure some of you are still grinding. I couldn't quite make it out of Demi but honestly never anticipated making it this far so I consider it a success overall. Anyone make it to God? Any Elder's? Johnny only, I don't want to hear this Johnny +S/A tier BS, lol.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Curious to see how far the "Johnny only no alts" crew made it in S1 KL? I'm done with S1 for the night but we have a few more hours left which I'm sure some of you are still grinding. I couldn't quite make it out of Demi but honestly never anticipated making it this far so I consider it a success overall. Anyone make it to God? Any Elder's? Johnny only, I don't want to hear this Johnny +S/A tier BS, lol.
I’m about 250 points away from God. So close.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
I've considered pushing for God, but after the grind to Demi nearly costing me two controllers, I've decided to let sleeping dogs lie lol. I'm still happy I made it to Demi at all. It was a nice confidence boost that maybe I'm not as bad as I think I am